Paul Wall's Open Secret (he's white!)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
It occurred to me that Paul Wall's whiteness seems to be a complete non-issue. Granted, he's not all over MTV yet, but he's all over BET and no one's referenced it, to my knowledge. Unlike every other white rapper in the history of the world, I've never heard him reference it in his own songs (i.e., "Even though I'm white...."). Is the the first white rapper whose race is a non-issue? If so, that's pretty amazing. I can't think of a single white rapper whose race hasn't been referenced (usually by themselves--see Eminem's countless references to being a white boy). It's most likely because Paul talks about the same shit everyone in that scene talks about: rims, rides, drank, 5% tint, boppers, plex, grippin' grain, etc. DISCUSS.DISCLAIMER:[/b] I haven't listened to everything that Paul Wall has put out, only the singles, Chick Magnet, and Get Ya Mind Correct. I also don't have all his lyrics memorized, so please tell me if I'm wrong.

Comments

• It's Paul Wall, call me the iced out gringo[/b]

Wit' Mike Jones and Chingo

Wit' hoes I mingle

My trunk pop like Pringles

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Could it be that people aren't totally sure that he is all the way white?

I know I wasn't convinced until I heard him boast that he had the internet going nuts.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    He's not white, he's Southern.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

does this mean if my parents are hillbillies then i am black?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Nah, it doesn't mean anything. I just find the "I'm not white, I'm [Irish/Italian/Polish/French/whatever]" excuse kinda funny, but I don't know anything about Paul Wall except that he's from the South, so I had to use "Southern."

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    He's not Southern, he's Texan.

Wow, I suddenly miss Archaic.

Nah, it doesn't mean anything. I just find the "I'm not white, I'm [Irish/Italian/Polish/French/whatever]" excuse kinda funny, but I don't know anything about Paul Wall except that he's from the South, so I had to use "Southern."

Yeah, I'm a big fan of that, too.

I remember somebody on another board saying of the Jamiroquoi (sp?) guy, "He's not white--his mother is Spanish."

So he's biracial?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yeah, I'm a big fan of that, too.

I remember somebody on another board saying of the Jamiroquoi (sp?) guy, "He's not white--his mother is Spanish."

So he's biracial?

Bi-Spacial.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

• So he's biracial?
    Bi-Spacial.
    Bi-Special.

paul wall ain't white!!!

Um...what it do?

Am I alone in having experienced the peculiar pain of having one's girlfriend bring home an issue of Don Diva with a Paul Wall feature because "Paul Wall looks good"?

Am I alone in having experienced the peculiar pain of having one's girlfriend bring home an issue of Don Diva with a Mike Jones[/b] feature because she wanna know "do Mike Jones fuck good"?[/b]

You have to admit: that would be worse.

PS Who?

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts

I don't know what's wacker him or the fact that he is sporting a shirt with a picture of himself on the front...

I don't know what's wacker him or the fact that he is sporting a shirt with a picture of himself on the front...

Paul Wall is a great look

Paul Wall's shirt is a great look

Paul Wall could get boppas even if he looked like you

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    All wack.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    that shirt is fucking awesome

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I think Paul Wall comes across as being himself and nothing else. You can't hate on that.

I think Paul Wall comes across as being himself and nothing else. You can't hate on that.[/b]

I would agree with you, if only there weren't proof to the contrary in this very thread:

If you come wit' plex
    It ain't gon' be Funplex

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    It occurred to me that Paul Wall's whiteness seems to be a complete non-issue. Granted, he's not all over MTV yet, but he's all over BET and no one's referenced it, to my knowledge. Unlike every other white rapper in the history of the world, I've never heard him reference it in his own songs (i.e., "Even though I'm white....").

Is the the first white rapper whose race is a non-issue? If so, that's pretty amazing. I can't think of a single white rapper whose race hasn't been referenced (usually by themselves--see Eminem's countless references to being a white boy). It's most likely because Paul talks about the same shit everyone in that scene talks about: rims, rides, drank, 5% tint, boppers, plex, grippin' grain, etc.

so is hip hop officially gentrified?

In Don Diva, Paul recounted the following story told to him by T.I.:

When Lyor first came over to WMG, he met with T.I. and said something to the effect of "We gotta got that southern white boy over here."

T.I. responded "Li'l Whyte?"

Lyor said, no, I mean the one from Swishahouse.

T.I. then allowed as how Paul was a "personal potna" of his, but later confessed to Paul, "I had forgotten you was white"

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I think Paul Wall comes across as being himself and nothing else. You can't hate on that.

Word, shit goes for the rest of Swishahouse as far as im concerned.

Paul Wall is dope. And his race isnt an issue. He rarely speaks on it, pretty much only when asked, and his answers are straigt up, this is how it is take it or leave it type shit.

Im a fan.

PS That shirt is hard. I want to sport a shirt with a pic of myself sporting a shirt with a pic of myself. He got jerseys that got him on it as well.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    thats fucking hilarious

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Could it be that people aren't totally sure that he is all the way white?

i read some interview with him where he talked about this. he said when he was coming up most people assumed he was of some sort of mixed-hispanic decent.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    1) Paul Wall is "passing" (He don't look white)
    2). He doesn't sound like too much like a white dude
    3). He's actually pretty fucking dope, maybe the dopest "white rapper" I've ever heard, aside from that time Reynaldo kicked a freestyle
    4). I think people are to fixated with his "Southerness" and "who-the-fuck-are-all-these-other-dudes-with-him" that they forget to be fixated on his whiteness.
    5). HE'S THE PEOPLE CHAMP!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    1) Paul Wall is "passing" (He don't look white)

You know, as a white guy who often gets "you don't look white", I gotta say.

Paul Wall looks white.

Come on you a maxican does he look maxican to you???

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Story of the word "Maxican"

15 Bus, Sunnydale. Origin: Samoans. Walk to the back of the bus. Sit down by me and my boys. They turn to us and go, "ain't none a yall maxican?" We say, "no". They say, "good."

Maxicans man.

• thiknekthiknek 65 Posts
    Paul seems to avoid addressing the race issue because of how multi-racial the swishahouse set is.

In their raps when they reference each other they don't use racial diminutives (e.g., "my lil' white ass nigga paul wall " . I think it is a southern thing - a bit more laid back when it comes to speaking out on racial differences.

plus when the green starts flowing - it is the only color that matters.

Paul Wall looks white.

I think it is a southern thing - a bit more laid back when it comes to speaking out on racial differences.

Thank you for playing

Please try again