LP's That Are Solid From Beginning To End

13»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Temptations Sing Smokey; all songs you've heard before, but solid from start to end. Especially "Way Over There" - cannot wait to play it out this weekend!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    solid classics...

Lyman Woodard Organization "Saturday Night Special"

Has this seen a legit repress with good sound quality yet? On vinyl? Only once held a copy and it was un-playable. Would really like the title track & Creative Musicians though.

• PW......is your avatar Ersel Hickey??

Yes indeed. Rockabilly still life!

• bob dylan's greatest hits

Ah, so compilations are allowed?

If that's the case, then I'll ride for Walter Jackson's Greatest Hits - even though it's a best-of (from his OKeh years), it hangs together like a real album.

If that's the case, then I'll ride for Walter Jackson's Greatest Hits - even though it's a best-of (from his OKeh years), it hangs together like a real album.

well no, that was my pissy, 1st-thing-in-the-morning, sarcastic teasing of someone who put up CSNY 'so far' which is basically a greatest hits.

i'm not a fan of these type of records. of course they're supposed to be solid, they're greatest hits.

although i'm not picking on you now. You got a point that sometimes compilations can bring something new.

but i think to keep this thread at least somewhat meaningful we should stick to albums that were conceived by the artist as such. and there are a lot of great ones.

• it means that lots of great albums have weak and shitty tracks and that discussions of 'great albums without the occasional weak or shitty track' tend to be really boring, like whats the point?

The point is: any album that you can play straight through without skipping a track, or any CD you can play from front to back without having to reprogram it, shines like klondike gold and by DEFINITION is superior to any "two hits plus filler" album you can name.

and there are a few albums mentioned in here where i'm not really feeling some tracks as much as others

Well, going by the music I've seen you ride for in the past, your big thing is disco 12" singles, so what would you know about albums?

and a lot of time that changes over time

Yeah, it changes, if you're a fickle 13-year-old Ashlee Simpson fan, but when you're grown, classics will always be classics. The last time we had this thread topic was two years ago, and I still feel that Swamp Dogg's Total Destruction To Your Mind and the Flamin' Groovies' Teenage Head are every bit as potent now as then, when I contributed to this topic the first time around.

well no, that was my pissy, 1st-thing-in-the-morning, sarcastic teasing of someone who put up CSNY 'so far' which is basically a greatest hits.

i'm not a fan of these type of records. of course they're supposed to be solid, they're greatest hits.

although i'm not picking on you now. You got a point that sometimes compilations can bring something new.

Especially in the case of Walter Jackson. He TRIED to be an album artist, but if I gotta hear supperclub standards I'm sticking with Tony Bennett. A greatest-hits album by Walter is the best way to go, IMO.

but i think to keep this thread at least somewhat meaningful we should stick to albums that were conceived by the artist as such. and there are a lot of great ones.

True. You got a point there. I could say that Nuggets, Howlin' Wolf's More Real Folk Blues or the volume of Oldies But Goodies that has "Rockin' Robin," "Hearts Of Stone" and "Stay" on it are classic albums of the ages, but since they weren't recorded all in one session, it doesn't really count.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    PE - Nations

"Party for Your Right to Fight"

To this day i cant get thru the entire song and is a very wack ending to what is arguably one of the greatest albums of all time.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Off the top...

plus the first six Led Zeppelin albums, and tons of stuff I'm forgetting.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This thread has gotten sorta weird.

• This thread has gotten sorta weird.

I've fast-forwarded through a lot of this thread. Some good posts, some shitty ones.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    sorta weird.

but never the less slammin from the first cut to the last:

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I can continually listen to this whole album on repeat. Has never left my car.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I really like this entire LP

• J.R. Bailey - Just me'n you
    Lou Courtney - I'm in need of love
    Lamont Dozier - Love and Beauty
    Leo's Sunshipp - We need each other
    Terry Callier - What color is love
    3 Pieces - Vibes of Truth

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts