Best Bang-For -Your-Buck Rap 12"s

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Inspired by the Super Lover Cee and Casanova Rud thread. Let's list some rap 12"s that give you more than your money's worth. I'm talking about *at least* two dope songs (if it's just a nice A-side and B-side and nothing else they better be two essential tracks), remixes, acapellas, intrumentals, ill dub versions, whatever. I'll start:(sorry, couldn't find a pic)Low Profile - Pay Ya DuesTracklisting:A1 Pay Ya Dues (4:30) A2 Pay Ya Dues (Instrumental) (4:30) B1 That's Y They Do It (4:30) B2 The Dub B.U. Just Begun (3:20) These are all album tracks, but this single perfectly condenses everything the group is about. You've got the lead off track that basically tells you where Low Profile is coming from. Then on the B-side you've a street-reality-meets-social commentary track breaking down the drug game and it's appeal to young kids. Then you finish it off with a heavy fast rap braggadocio track. Every beat is 100% certified dope and DJ Alladin's scratches are on point throughout. This is fine wine, right here.

Comments

• leaders-sobb story 12" with the remix, case of pta remix, etc..

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I pulled Leaders of the New School '...Zone Coaster" 12' at the flea the other day. I have the LP, but have not heard to two Stimulated Dummies remixes. Def worth a buck.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    On the Wreckshop's Greatest Hits 12", you get Fat Pat's Tops Drop, Fat Pat's Ghetto Dreamz, Big Moe's Maan, and the Wreckshop All-Stars Power Up...all certified Texas rap classics/club-bangers.

• almost everyone of biggie's singles had a great b side (juicy/unbelievable; one more chance remix/one more chance hip hop remix; going back to cali/sky's the limit; etc). even his remix singles (big poppa/who shot ya) had quality tracks.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Gangstarr - You Know My Steez (Radio, Dirty, Instrumental)/So Wassup? (Clean, Dirty, Instrumental)

OGC - Hurricane Starang (radio, inst, explicit)/Gunn Clapp (radio, explicit)/Danjer (radio)

JayDee - F*ck the Police/Move (dirty/clean/instr x 2)

• kurious- i'm kurious 12"
    shouldnt be more than $15

LP version is good
    remix is crazy
    mansion and a yacht is one of the greatest bsides ever

also
    kmd-what a ni%%y know
    amazing song
    unbelieavable remix
    and 2 other ill album cuts
    should be btw $10-20

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Del - Dr. Bombay (LP Version, Remix, Instrumental)/Hoodz Come In Dozens (LP Version, SD50 Remix) Eye Examination

Del - Mistadobalina Mistadobalina (LP Version, Remix, Instrumental)/Burnt/Ahonetwo, Ahonetwo (Remix, Remix Instrumental)

ALL Black Sheep 12"s

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    All of the Breaking Atoms-era Main Source 12"s are dope two-siders. Live at the BBQ as a B-side?

Well, except for Peace Is Not The Word To Play.

Of course the most officalist stock answer to the greatest 2-sided single in rap history is...

Doug E. Fresh - The Show/Lodi Dodi.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Inspired by the Super Lover Cee and Casanova Rud thread. Let's list some rap 12"s that give you more than your money's worth. I'm talking about *at least* two dope songs (if it's just a nice A-side and B-side and nothing else they better be two essential tracks), remixes, acapellas, intrumentals, ill dub versions, whatever. I'll start:

(sorry, couldn't find a pic)
    re on point throughout. This is fine wine, right here.

Nice thread. I was already thinking about best bang for the buck 12's and actually already had an answer long ago...

Das EFX Real Hip-Hop

You get the OG Premier production, the Pete Rock remix, and the Solid Scheme Remix. All versions are equally dope in my opinion. This is a perfect 12" to summarize the sound of Golden Era production even though this was towards the end of the era.
    There are probably not too many 12s that feature both Premier and Pete Rock on one disc. All together you get 8 tracks including 2 instrumentals and the acapella plus a good b-side No Diggety. 94 BPM = Golden Era's Golden BPM.

Eric Sermon, Chubb Rock and Serch freestyle over the pete rock remix instro on the last episode of yo mtv raps.

Inspired by the Super Lover Cee and Casanova Rud thread. Let's list some rap 12"s that give you more than your money's worth. I'm talking about *at least* two dope songs (if it's just a nice A-side and B-side and nothing else they better be two essential tracks), remixes, acapellas, intrumentals, ill dub versions, whatever. I'll start:

(sorry, couldn't find a pic)
    re on point throughout. This is fine wine, right here.

Nice thread. I was already thinking about best bang for the buck 12's and actually already had an answer long ago...

Das EFX Real Hip-Hop

You get the OG Premier production, the Pete Rock remix, and the Solid Scheme Remix. All versions are equally dope in my opinion. This is a perfect 12" to summarize the sound of Golden Era production even though this was towards the end of the era.
    There are probably not too many 12s that feature both Premier and Pete Rock on one disc. All together you get 8 tracks including 2 instrumentals and the acapella plus a good b-side No Diggety. 94 BPM = Golden Era's Golden BPM.

Eric Sermon, Chubb Rock and Serch freestyle over the pete rock remix instro on the last episode of yo mtv raps.

Nice post and contribution, but I gotta ask you about what you are calling the "golden age". My understanding for the longest has been that the golden age basically refers to the Marley Marl age that covers from like 87-90 (BDK, MC Shan, BDP, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, etc.). The next generation of the Pete Rock's and the Primo's to me is a different era that I would call the age of the boombappers. Seems like you've got em all rolled into one...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I actually did a short column about this a while back...can't find it right now, of course, but naturally, the Supe & Rud 12 won the top spot. I expect to get collend and hatted on for this one, but I also picked the Downtown Science 12--the yellow one with "This Is a Visit" and "If I Was" and remixes and instrumentals and stuff. Also, Stezo "To the Max" b/w "It's My Turn," and definitely "Just Hangin' Out" b/w "Live at the BBQ."

• Doug E. Fresh - Lodi Dodi.

Lord Finesse
    Party Over Here (Remix)
    Save That Shit....not on the vinyl pressing of the original LP
    Yes You May (Funk Flow Mix)....arguably one of the best ever remixes

Big Daddy Kane
    Get Into It
    Somethin' Funky
    Just Rhymin' With Biz

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Artifacts - "Wrong Side Of Da Tracks" b/w "Flexi Wit Da Tech" & "Wassup Now Muthafucka"

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Das EFX Real Hip-Hop

Golden Era

Our survey says... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

About 3 years too late.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    protect your neck with the original version of Tearz
    (after the laughter). shit iz raw.

• Not sure if i'm breaking the rules here (EP vs 12")... But I pulled this out the other day and forgot how much I fuckin love Pete Rock and CL Smooth's "All Souled Out".

Good Life
    Mecca and the Soul Brother
    Go with the Flow
    The Creator
    All Souled Out
    Good Life [Group Home Mix]

I love the sample simplicity of "Go With the Flow". That S.O.U.L. tune looped up with CLs dope delivery and Pete's scratchin... Damn! "Mecca and the Soul Brother", "The Creator" and "Good Life"?!? Classic... I'll take Pete and CLs "Good Life" over Kanye's every day! Not hatin' just sayin'.

Not sure how hard it would be track down the vinyl nowadays but it can be had on CD for cheap cheap... there's the bang for the buck.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    (after the laughter).

Would like to add Screwball's FAYBAN/Seen It All (clean, original, instrumental x 2)

argh

I traded that for the 1st Kool and the Gang year s ago. Kinda regret it because I've since come up on K&TG, but not that 12. I wish I would have at least recorded it.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

This is the yellow/orange label pressing right?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I wish I would have at least recorded it.

don't worry, someone already did.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

This is the yellow/orange label pressing right?

I believe so. I may have the tracks to post, if people want em.

I wish I would have at least recorded it.

Thanks

Doug E. Fresh - Lodi Dodi.

???

Doug E. Fresh - Lodi Dodi.

???

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe in the UK?

• Album Version
    Extra P Remix
    Large Pro Remix
    + Instrumentals and a accapella

ATCQ "Scenario"
    +Remix
    + Some album cut with instrumentals

• Not sure if i'm breaking the rules here (EP vs 12")... But I pulled this out the other day and forgot how much I fuckin love Pete Rock and CL Smooth's "All Souled Out".

Good Life
    Mecca and the Soul Brother
    Go with the Flow
    The Creator
    All Souled Out
    Good Life [Group Home Mix]

I love the sample simplicity of "Go With the Flow". That S.O.U.L. tune looped up with CLs dope delivery and Pete's scratchin... Damn! "Mecca and the Soul Brother", "The Creator" and "Good Life"?!? Classic... I'll take Pete and CLs "Good Life" over Kanye's every day! Not hatin' just sayin'.

Not sure how hard it would be track down the vinyl nowadays but it can be had on CD for cheap cheap... there's the bang for the buck.

came across it on wax for 6euro not too long ago, thaink thats about $9us. made my 2007

• Doug E. Fresh - Lodi Dodi.

???

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe in the UK?

no, it had a UK issue

Yep sure, even made the top 40 chart but I'm sure on both sides of the Atlantic it's called La Di Da Di....maybe I'm just being too pedantic.

• admittedly not everyone's jam, but brooklyn academy's "blind fury" with "unusual jam". red vinyl. hot. one of those late 90s indies that i find myself returning to.

been noticing a ton of old hip hop 12s turning up at used record stores and salvation armies lately. starting to things in the dollar bins that wouldn't have been there 4 or 5 years ago -- black sheep, pete rock, atcq, etc... but hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

• Options
    (after the laughter).

Would like to add Screwball's FAYBAN/Seen It All (clean, original, instrumental x 2)

FAYBAN was one of those rare tracks where I'd rather bump the clean than the dirty, the way Premier edits out the curses was great on that song.

Alkaholiks-- Likwit/Only When I'm Drunk[/b]. Back when I would play parties I always had doubles of this with me, and both tracks would get played at some point. Minted up a 3rd copy at Good Records last year.