mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central

(thanks to Hsulu for hepping)

Comments

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    wu electronics?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

At first I was like , but damn. Sounds like he got burnt on that one.

"it's started to get on some real white boy shit"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    So, he really means he invested in it.

I can remember reading an interview from John Acquaviva back in the late 90's talking about it before it came out. When he was the OG beta tester on the prototype. I got to mess with one of the first versions released. Back when the delay was still noticeable.

Here's a vid of him talking about it.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/TUTORS.9.0.html?act_session=39

Good interview. He talks some biz talk near the end which is so true.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    this sounds like some bullshit. i think rza just smoked a little too much digiy in his day coming up with this delusional nonsense.

• wu electronics?

A HREF="http://eshop.wustl.edu/">http://eshop.wustl.edu/WURecord_Arnie_Gavin.jpg" alt="" />

• Yeah it sucks, sounds like rza got ripped. If his biz partners brought it to AES they probably screwed the pooch.

BUT

1. Sounds like he financed it, not invented it.

2. "The replicator" hardware sounds like AD converter and memory hooked up to a pitch control. Unless he's not describing it well, it doesn't sound like final scratch, which has all the right song selection, mixing, etc. features for DJ'ing.

3. I dare you to try and hear a .004 second delay (if you were on a mic like he's describing).

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    some real white boy shit

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    This is beyond ridiculous. Someone should do the research and figure out if half of this is true. Imagine if the product was actually called "the replicator", how cool would that be?

Who is Hsulu and does he/she have a blog? Killin' it with both of these videos.

• some real white boy shit
    some real white boy shit
    some real white boy shit

• This is beyond ridiculous. Someone should do the research and figure out if half of this is true. Imagine if the product was actually called "the replicator", how cool would that be?

www.uspto.gov... it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which patents cover this. I'm guessing it's under Class 369, "dynamic information storage and retrieval", but my patent search game is weak.

• Turns out it is under class 369... www.patentstorm.us has full-text search and is way easier to use than the official USPTO site.

There are a bunch of 90s-era patents for scratching digital audio with a mechanical rotary controller, but I didn't see anything using a vinyl LP with timecode. It sure looks like the first patents for that were issued to N2IT, the original Finalscratch guys.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7238874.html
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7012184.html

They were only issued within the last couple of years, but the patent applications were filed in 2002-ish. Which is odd because the Finalscratch betas were public in the late '90s. Although as I understand it, you can submit a provisional or placeholder application for a year or two before filing a formal application.

Here's an additional Stanton patent from the same timeframe for outputting MIDI data from a control record.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6818815-description.html

• Okay, it gets deeper... looking through international patents (the World Intellectual Property Organization database), here we have a patent from 1997, filed by an Andre Rickli of Switzerland, for a digital scratch controller using a conventional turntable. It's WO97/01168.

However, in this patent, the turntable's motion is monitored by optical or magnetic sensors...

• Okay, done nerding out. I just signed off as a co-inventor on my first patent a couple of weeks ago, so this stuff is interesting to me right now.

• I INVENTED WU-TANG.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Okay, done nerding out. I just signed off as a co-inventor on my first patent a couple of weeks ago, so this stuff is interesting to me right now.

SPILL IT~!

• Okay, done nerding out. I just signed off as a co-inventor on my first patent a couple of weeks ago, so this stuff is interesting to me right now.

SPILL IT~!

Ummm... I'm not sure what it's for?

The team I'm working with put together a list of potential patents last year. We sent the list to our lawyers and they worked it out.

I got faxed the co-inventor paperwork to sign but didn't bother to check what made the cut. Shit, I need to call up tomorrow and find out!

Whatever it is, I guarantee it's boring. Still cool to have my name on a patent though.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    wu tang clan doin it for the kids ...haha lame

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    While I always take what RZA says in interviews with a grain of salt, I do remember seeing interviews with him when he talked about the replicator, way before the Microwave generation was in effect.

I just wish I could see RZA circa 97 walking into a house in Switzerland and seeing a homemade McGyver soundfile scratch system. This is precisely why people should follow every Wu member around with a camera 24-7, documenting their feats for posterity.

• can anyone post the song he references that uses the replicator? I want to hear it.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    While I always take what RZA says in interviews with a grain of salt, I do remember seeing interviews with him when he talked about the replicator, way before the Microwave generation was in effect.

I just wish I could see RZA circa 97 walking into a house in Switzerland and seeing a homemade McGyver soundfile scratch system. This is precisely why people should follow every Wu member around with a camera 24-7, documenting their feats for posterity.
    Yes.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    RAJ should make all ser-ah-toe/microwave references automatically change to "replicator"

• one of the best parts of this great interview are the first few seconds, when he gets asked a run of the mill question and deadpans some at-first-youd-think-ludicrous claim, "i invented it"

who the fuck knows? its just another chamber

• RAJ should make all ser-ah-toe/microwave references automatically change to "replicator"

i second this

Glad to see this thread back, cause I've been wondering: Could "Stroke of death" have been made with the replicator?

• Patents mean nothing.

Tell it to RIM.

• Glad to see this thread back, cause I've been wondering: Could "Stroke of death" have been made with the replicator?

lets get scientifical on this thread, can anyone post clips of songs that may have used the replicator

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Where can I get that scratching track that was playing there? That shit was cool as hell....

Glad to see this thread back, cause I've been wondering: Could "Stroke of death" have been made with the replicator?

lets get scientifical on this thread, can anyone post clips of songs that may have used the replicator

I listened to the W the other day, skipped throught it more like, but I didn't hear that part RZA was talking about.

But yeah, if anyone has a certified Replicator sighting, let's hear it!

(BTW, I like the fact that RZA says you have to patent something in over a thousand countries. Aren't there less than 200?)

• Glad to see this thread back, cause I've been wondering: Could "Stroke of death" have been made with the replicator?

Yes I know for a fact the replicator was used for that song.