Miles: On The Corner Boxset

PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody cop it?Was eyeballing it the other week in the store but for $130 I dunno.Wasn't a big fan of the LP, granted I haven't played it in 10 years.What say YOU, Soul Strut glitterati?IMG SRC=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Cornerbox_front.png>

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I picked up the In the Silent Way box and a friend has the Bitches Brew one. Both a pretty awesome. I was pleasently surprised with all the extra songs and material on the one I got. Then again, I think I paid only about $50.

$130 seems like too much for anybody aside from the Davis Completists. Cool cover though.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    All of those Columbia box sets are great. Don't expect it to be like the record. The sessions are pre cut and paste. These are also sessions that ended up on other records. I wish they would just title these "Studio Sessions 1972-1975"

I don't buy CDs though. I'll just rip a promo copy when [censored] gets it in...

• why would you want the box set if you don't like the lp? the lp is amazing...give it another spin!

why would you want the box set if you don't like the lp? the lp is amazing...give it another spin!

i'm not even sure if the album proper is even included in this set? but nonetheless, geeks like me like to go back though and see how Teo built it up into the final product.

• i was on a big miles kick when the "bitches brew" box set came out...asked mom to get it for xmas back then...i listened to each disc a total of one time.

• Thank god they ditched the original cover art.

I don't know if I'd buy it, but would like to check out on the corner pre-Macero.

• you are kidding about the artwork right?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    why would you want the box set if you don't like the lp?
    All the bonus stuff surrounding the original. Very intriguing.

the lp is amazing...give it another spin!
    Just checked, it's long gone!
    [cheap bastard]Hmmm, wonder if any local libraries go it it in!.[/cheap bastard]

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Thank god they ditched the original cover art.

The actual boxset (I had in my hands anyway) has the OG cover, just made of pressed/raised tin to give it a 3D look/feel.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

[cheap bastard]Shhhh![/cheap bastard]

• you are kidding about the artwork right?

Nope. Not saying the new artwork is great. But I think the original artwork is some gimmicky exploitive bullshit. Of all the classic Miles cover art out there, this has to be among the crappiest. Miles was always in search of his black audience, and this is too painfully transparent a ploy to be believed. Like everybody who was listening to sly stone and james brown would pick this up because of it's cash-in cover with JIVED OUT cartoon PIMPS AND HOS, mannnnn.

• i know what you mean but i still dig it...i'm sure it wasn't drawn by some white columbia record exec...and that kind of artwork was just in the air back then.

• i know what you mean but i still dig it...i'm sure it wasn't drawn by some white columbia record exec...and that kind of artwork was just in the air back then.

I recall reading that Miles wanted a cash-in cover like that... it was his idea to make a pimped out "street" album cover to get his Black crowd back... don't know who the artist was but it was definitely a conscientious decision.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    water babies is the doo doo cover...

• All three of them were (incl Big Fun).

Miles literally wanted to go "On The Corner". He was on some jive ass shit.

I like the Big Fun cover

• why would you want the box set if you don't like the lp? the lp is amazing...give it another spin!
    I never really got into the LP either. It's the one LP from that era of Miles' work that I never really dug.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    why would you want the box set if you don't like the lp? the lp is amazing...give it another spin!
    I never really got into the LP either. It's the one LP from that era of Miles' work that I never really dug.

Yup, thanks to jaymack for the link but I still can't sit through 1 track of this album!

on the art as well. Corky McCoy is the artist if memory serves. Undoubtedly a talented artist but the exploitive aspect always bothered me (along with the music!).

• I can't believe people don't like this lp.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I can't believe people don't like this lp.

who cares who likes it? If you do, then you do.
    You can put any record up here for the soulstrut masses to appreciate and there will always be one person throwing a
    It's what keeps things interesting here.

• I have been waiting for this to come out. On the Corner is my favorite Miles album.

• I got it. It's amazing.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    You can put any record up here for the soulstrut masses to appreciate and there will always be one person throwing a

True. I've even heard someone call Otis Redding's music "shit" on this board. I seem to recall that Curtis Mayfield was denigrated a while ago, too. I'm sure that I could pull someone that hates Tyrone Davis's "If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time" LP if I asked. There sure are some soulfully bereft folks in this world.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

this album will never be canonized by the public. its its own animal.

Its not a pleasuable listen. I appreciate where he was going and who he was doin drugs with though.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

this album will never be canonized by the public. its its own animal.

I really need to dig this album out and play it through again. Don't recall it ever been the easiest listen but I've always loved the track Black Satin.

• I can't believe people don't like this lp.

cosine

not hating or whatever... i understand that different people have different opinions.
    but if you don't think this is then you're

• I've listened to the first 3 discs so far and I have to say that I think that a lot of the unedited material is better than what made it to the record. It's highly recommended to fans of this period of Miles material.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    On the Corner is probably in my top 3 miles records... LOVE that record

I'm in it for the Paul Buckmaster cello solo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Would anyone here start someone off w/ On the Corner as an introduction to Miles Davis?