revisiting your record collection from high school

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
feeling nostalgic lately and need to hear guitars, lots of them, no guitar, no spin today....shit I bought in '87 is rocking the warehouse today

Comments

• totally unrelated to your comments..but this was one of the records that came to mind when I read the title

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    ...whatever your shit was in high schoolm that was your shit..post it..doesnt have to be rock, that was just my trip in High School... post away! whatever you were feelin as a 16 year old music/record nerd...post them!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I just started spinnin some different stuff recently (did a mix with some linkin park, portishead, royksopp, neptunes stuff and others) cuz I've been in the mood for playing something different... That new BECK album is getting back into this rock/hiphop/funky/weirdo (dust bros) type vibe... But that album is heat.......And stuff from h.s., I was just thinking this morning about doing a "classic hip hop" mix since that was early 90's for me. And I don't mean ish you constantly hear on radio but the b-sides and cuts from albums......... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

What's with Husker Du lately? I hear the name dropped everywhere. Is there a revival I don't know about?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

this is actually a rare record. GNRs first release on UziSuicide records, privatepressaxlhairbandrare.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Oh and to name some music from high school, i was into the hip hop (92-96): souls of mischeif, pharcyde, etc., but I have to admit I was also into house music / shit like: CZR, Bad Boy Bill, Richard Humpy Vision, Mongaloids, Arman Van Helden (dude was ill!).... and other shit like that.... HAHA!

• In high school it was all Beatles, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Tull, Yes, Who, Grateful Dead... and by senior year a lot of New Wave stuff...

this is actually a rare record. GNRs first release on UziSuicide records, privatepressaxlhairbandrare.

actually, from what i have heard, it is one of the first examples of the "fake indie" label...it wasnt private pressed...Uzi Suicide was a fake indie label created by Geffen to drum up some quick "street cred" for their new signing...they wanted to create a hype within the underground before "Appetite for Destruction" was to be released...but regardless, yeah hard to come by, and a killer fucking rock record...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Most of the vinyl I still have from highschool is the indie variety-

Polvo, Slint, Halo Benders, Built to Spill, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Stereolab etc.

Still need Beck- mellow gold on vinyl, tape cassette ain't cuttin it.

Wouldn't mind gettin the first Weezer lp or the Rentals on wax.

• this is actually a rare record. GNRs first release on UziSuicide records, privatepressaxlhairbandrare.

actually, from what i have heard, it is one of the first examples of the "fake indie" label...it wasnt private pressed...Uzi Suicide was a fake indie label created by Geffen to drum up some quick "street cred" for their new signing...they wanted to create a hype within the underground before "Appetite for Destruction" was to be released...but regardless, yeah hard to come by, and a killer fucking rock record...

what are some other examples of records using fake indie labels?

yeah, its still rare regardless of its true pedigree, I think there were only like 10,000 pressed, and when you have millions of fans, thats the equivlent of a thousand funk fans all clamoring for an "Impeach the President"...but yeah, used to see it at Sound Warehouse all the time.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

Polvo, Slint, Sonic Youth, Stereolab etc.

Still need Beck- mellow gold on vinyl

yep.

also listened to hip hop a lot, some 25 ta life, downset, avail, rage, cannibal corpse, sepultura, slayer.

i also was really into bootleg tapes of shows from janes addiction, jimi hendrix, ummmm, who else....

oh, i started getting into ween in high school, that was lsd's fault though.

i was a freshman in high school in 93, so i was all in to rap that was coming out then. i am still filling in holes in record collection from that era. if only i was buying singles then instead of tapes. DOH!

what are some other examples of records using fake indie labels?

Interscope was a fake indie...soon became its own monster away from Atlantic(I think that was their mommy)...but they started marketing to the underground, Maximum Rock n Roll used to have ads for interscope records, they made no reference to being part of Atlantic(or whatever major spawned them)

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    My highschool vinyl listening was pretty much limited to these three pieces:

Michael Jackson's "Thriller"
    "Sesame Street Disco"
    Eyes of the Beacon Street Union (my bandmate's uncle was a member, so we used to put it on at band practice)

I was strictly cassettes and- later- cds so the top ten (in no order) was something like:

Meantime - Helmet
    Kill 'Em All - Metallica
    South of Heaven - Slayer
    Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em - Eric B. & Rakim
    Wanted: Dead or Alive - Kool G Rap & DJ Polo
    Mama Said Knock You Out - L.L. Cool J
    S/T - Bad Brains
    Enter the 36 Chambers - Wu-Tang Clan
    Illmatic - Nas
    Greatest Hits - The Jackson 5

Oh shit! Yeah! I forgot about Nation of Ulysees "Plays Pretty for Baby". That was huge for me around the end of high school.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Oh shit! Yeah! I forgot about Nation of Ulysees "Plays Pretty for Baby". That was huge for me around the end of high school.
    now THAT'S some fresh west coast ish.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

among lots of others...

The King Crimson mention reminds of this- does anyone else remember just buying the randomest shit completely blind because of a liner note mention on someone else's album or just "weird" cover art or something like that? I can't for the life of me imagine what possesed me to buy a King Crimson "hits" album in high school- I had never heard a note of them, no one I knew had ever heard of them, etc etc.- but I sure enough copped it. It was almost like not knowing anything about it was all the more reason to buy it. Anyone remember doing this?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Hell yah...
    3XDope
    EPMD first 2
    JBs
    Stet
    Redhead Kingpin. Coz you know you got to do the right thing
    PE
    Turd Bass

Plus in the UK, Street Sounds Electro vols. whatever you could get your hands on

Oh, and a bit of

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Still need Beck- mellow gold on vinyl, tape cassette ain't cuttin it.

Wouldn't mind gettin the first Weezer lp or the Rentals on wax.

Beck wax was on Bongload via DGC, not very easy to find these days.

1st weezer OG was UK only, tough record (japan/us/euro reissues are rampant tho)

no such thing as rentals on LP, sorry to say...

my highschool:

The Minutemen
    The Clash
    Run DMC
    (dating myself now - didnt even know about PE yet - '86 Beastie/PE/Murphys Law tour came thru my senior year)
    other weird/hardcore stuff like the Misfits, Butthole Surfers, COC, Circle Jerks, and the mighty Black Flag.

• Chilis - Uplift Mofo Party Plan

Agent Orange - This is the Voice

Still a good album imo

As far as a Husker Du reunion, Bob Mould and Grant Hart played a couple songs together at a local benefit not too long ago. Both said it was a one time thing and wasn't leading anywhere.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

etc, etc. etc....... you get the idea I'm sure. Along with heaps of the stuff already mentioned. Good memories.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    My first evaar music purchase (age 7):

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

thats it...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

thats it...

everyday at lunch on the boombox in the caf for like two months. it was like listening to a lunch-hour radio play or something. we were talking about it and memorizing it...good memories around that record.

• Went to a yard sale last week in my old hood and caught a crate of MY old records, I guess I left them there during a house party or something, all 12'' record pool stuff which was decent disco/post punk but there was a mint copy of the rappamatical 5 12'.

A nice suprise, welcome home