FAT AZZ QUAKE

autoauto 198 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
FAT AZZ QUAKE IN FRISCO

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    ha ha

Doesn't look like they felt that at the Warriors Game, though.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I just felteded my first earthquake ever! Trip out!!!

(Cas, I paid the extra $50 so I could leave in the a.m.)

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    my lamps were leaning sideways in here. how big was that quake?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I'm jealous!

Quakes > Wildfires

whose pet predicted this shit?

• autoauto 198 Posts
    5.6 magnitude centered in menlo park

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Felt it in Oakland, too. I have doubts about how well my building will hold up in a quake, which kind of freaks me out.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Barely felt it in Santa Cruz

USGS

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I just felteded my first earthquake ever! Trip out!!!

(Cas, I paid the extra $50 so I could leave in the a.m.)

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc40204628.htm

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i remember when NY had an earthquake

it was like a 1.1 in 1989

My Dad flips everytime there's a quake cause he never had them growing up in NYC.

I am so used to them, I was doing the dishes and just kept on going.

5.6 is pretty big, but it was 5.5 miles underground, which is a lot - otherwise we would have REALLY felt it.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    My Dad flips everytime there's a quake cause he never had them growing up in NYC.

5.6 is pretty big, but it was 5.5 miles underground, which is a lot - otherwise we would have REALLY felt it.

the closest thing to an earthquake i remember was the Universal Studios theme park ride

and i doubt thats anywhere near realistic

is it scary?

or one of those "deal with it" things

i mean, that is unless its a super catastrophic quake..being nothing to joke about.

but like do people just treat it like "this one aint big ima keep walking"??

the closest thing to an earthquake i remember was the Universal Studios theme park ride

is it scary?

i mean, that is unless its a super catastrophic quake..being nothing to joke about.

True Californians think of them like an amusement park ride - scary and exciting at the same time. Unless they're big in which case we hope it's not 89 or 1906, and then complain about the freeways falling down.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    In honor of this quake and the SoCal fires, Yuichi has declared the next week CA Disaster Week. No humourous posts, people!

• My Dad flips everytime there's a quake cause he never had them growing up in NYC.

is it scary?

True Californians think of them like an amusement park ride - scary and exciting at the same time. Unless they're big in which case we hope it's not 89 or 1906, and then complain about the freeways falling down.

exactly...a lot of us feel like they are fun....

now, when I've been with people who haven't been in earthquakes a bunch (I have no clue how many I've been in over the years)...or like some of my friends from NYC when they felt em in college....they literally lose their shit...and freek the fuck out...it's kinda funny actually...

then again...I'm like FUCK tornadoes and shit...that shit is scary...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

then again...I'm like FUCK tornadoes and shit...that shit is scary...

YUP!

I don't even feel most earthquakes. The one time I swore I did it was just a sonic boom that shook the house worse than any earthquake ever did.

SF seems to get them the worse though. SoCal not so much.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Count me out. My first one was a "big one". I'll never forget that shit. 11 years old in a second story apt with my moms, 2:30am and BOOM! A 6.1 with the epicenter maybe 20 miles from my house.
    Power was out for 2 or 3 days, it broke the freeway, caused landslides, dropped houses, etc.
    It made the list of Historical Earthquakes:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/events/1986_07_08.php

So maybe I'm biased from that being my first experience. I remember one time in the 90's I ran out in the street in my underwear. I'm not about to get squished (yes shook one).

• True Californians think of them like an amusement park ride - scary and exciting at the same time. Unless they're big in which case we hope it's not 89 or 1906, and then complain about the freeways falling down.

Count me out. My first one was a "big one". I'll never forget that shit. 11 years old in a second story apt with my moms, 2:30am and BOOM! A 6.1 with the epicenter maybe 20 miles from my house.
    Power was out for 2 or 3 days, it broke the freeway, caused landslides, dropped houses, etc.
    It made the list of Historical Earthquakes:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/events/1986_07_08.php

So maybe I'm biased from that being my first experience. I remember one time in the 90's I ran out in the street in my underwear. I'm not about to get squished (yes shook one).

man...you sound scurred...I think that you are safer in a doorjam than outside...especially in L.A.! too much wires and shit to worry about...

plus, in SF...if the building is super old...and made it through most of em...should be safe...although, I heard people yelling...and running out of our building....which is hilarious...like hearing 6 people running down the stairs to get outside...I'm like fuck that...too lazy...plus, I like surfing the land wave...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

man...you sound scurred

I am. No shame in that shit at all. I live literally on the San Andreas Fault.

This was the freeway 10 minutes from my house.