Home Schooled: The ABCs of Kid Soul

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
christ the subject line character limit is ridiculous.Anyway, Numero does it again. I have to say I wasn't expecting this to be so...listenable? But wow it's a total facemelt.Jack & The Mods is especially but it's really pure from beginning to end.Don't sleep.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Try editing the subject line now; It should work. The edit allows for more characters, for some reason.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    brilliant! thanks.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Thanks for reminding me, I need to cop this asap.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i wanted more rawwwww shit on here, but still a great comp! got it the day it came out.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i wanted more rawwwww shit on here

??? What exactly is slick about it?

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

Make a list, we'll see what happens on volume two.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Numero Group always pretty much kills. I'll have to cop.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Make a list, we'll see what happens on volume two.

Well, if there is a second volume, take that copy of "Time" by Otis The 3rd and FLIP IT OVER!!! Really, "Walk On By" is my jamm!

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    We tried to keep the whole thing indie, and also not to duplicate artists. There were some definite keepers left on the floor because we couldn't license (or find for that matter). It's not definitive, and with this genre, that might not be possible with out a shit pile of cash to blow through.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    got a copy for a birthday present and it hasn't left my car yet. Excellent work.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I want to know how people can crap on the Numero releases so far, in that other thread semi-recently where someone said they would "personally shit on all the Numero releases", I'm having trouble faulting them, awesome stuff.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Did you guys consider the Ponderosa Twins Plus One?

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

Yeah, but they were semi-hit ridden. We really wanted to stay away from J5, Foster Sylvers, etc.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i really like magical connection on solar sun. uptempo kiddie soul... at least they sound like a kid group.

Yeah, but they were semi-hit ridden. We really wanted to stay away from J5, Foster Sylvers, etc.

I respect that but even those "big" artists had obscure hits. How many people really have heard, say, "Big Boy" by the Jackson 5, for example? (I'm assuming that would have been a bitch to license, regardless).

I dunno - I'm not mad at some good Sylvers or Cubie inclusions.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

I respect that but even those "big" artists had obscure hits. How many people really have heard, say, "Big Boy" by the Jackson 5, for example? (I'm assuming that would have been a bitch to license, regardless).

I dunno - I'm not mad at some good Sylvers or Cubie inclusions.

Don't get me wrong, "Big Boy" is a great song, but it also was comped by Ace a few years back, and is also available on that weird pre-Motown Jackson 5 boot (that also has the Ripples and the Waves mistakenly credited as the 5). The goal was to shine a little light on the kids lost in shuffle. Giving a spot to "Misdemeanor" or "You Send Me" means taking away a Man Child Singers or 3 Simmons, groups that definitely needed a few more lines on their resumes.

• the track selection is on point and perfect. Tonight The Quantrells and Otis the 3rd are killing me. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite Numero releases.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    As thanks for giving this record a little thread love, I've upped two tracks from our next two records for your listening pleasure.

Like record day, but sponsored and confined to this thread and post.

• Looking forward to this one - any chance of a vinyl release as well?

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

Looking forward to this one - any chance of a vinyl release as well?

Not only will there be vinyl, but it comes with four bonus tracks.

• Another Deep City compilation? OH FUCK YES. Is there a release date on the vinyl yet?

i did not realize TNG was The Numero Group...quality shit!! i love all your releases so far. thanks for making this stuff readily available and in such attractive packaging too. always checking for new releases.

• was Good God the first to be available on vinyl? Will the old releases be pressed on vinyl at some point? Also do any others have bonus tracks? I've always bought CDs because I like seeing them all in a little line on my shelf, but damn I hope I haven't been missing out on bonus tracks!

(also I assume the vinyl has all the same liner notes and shit?)

Good God

SUCH good stuff on here.

my local shop has only stocked one of the numero releases on vinyl so far...but all of them on cd, luckily

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    was Good God the first to be available on vinyl? Will the old releases be pressed on vinyl at some point? Also do any others have bonus tracks? I've always bought CDs because I like seeing them all in a little line on my shelf, but damn I hope I haven't been missing out on bonus tracks!

Yes, Good God was the first Numero wax. We're slowly going back and updating all of our compact discs for LP format, including fresh masters, expanded artwork, bonus material, etc. Every Numero vinyl version beyond Good God comes with at least one bonus track, and we'll continue this trend as long as we can find tracks. Both volumes of Deep City will be available on wax around the end of the month, boasting a total of 10 extra tracks between the two of them. Look out for Big Mack and Capsoul next year.

• Both volumes of Deep City will be available on wax around the end of the month, boasting a total of 10 extra tracks between the two of them.

Wonderful. How about running a lp-subscription plan as well? I'd put some $$ down to get every new Numero lp release automatically....

• Every Numero vinyl version beyond Good God comes with at least one bonus track,

sonofabitch!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    was Good God the first to be available on vinyl? Will the old releases be pressed on vinyl at some point? Also do any others have bonus tracks? I've always bought CDs because I like seeing them all in a little line on my shelf, but damn I hope I haven't been missing out on bonus tracks!

Yes, Good God was the first Numero wax. We're slowly going back and updating all of our compact discs for LP format, including fresh masters, expanded artwork, bonus material, etc. Every Numero vinyl version beyond Good God comes with at least one bonus track, and we'll continue this trend as long as we can find tracks. Both volumes of Deep City will be available on wax around the end of the month, boasting a total of 10 extra tracks between the two of them. Look out for Big Mack and Capsoul next year.

Now I've got to re-buy these? Will you at least have the extra tracks for purchase as mp3s on your site? This seems fair.

What the frak? http://cgi.ebay.com/MICHAEL-JACKSON-FIVE...8#ht_740wt_1117

$300+ for a VG copy? Big up to Soulalligator!