Diggin in your own crates

Medium_DudeMedium_Dude 153 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Has anyone ever been pleasantly surprised by someone else playing a record or a song from your collection, that you didn't even realize you had? A few times now, i've let other people use my comp and/or rekkids, whether at the crib for shits and giggles, or at a gig for shits and cribbles, and have been pleasantly surprised to find that there was heat i didn't even know i had in my possesion.I always find it very interesting to hear other people interpret your music selection/crates, while you're strictly a listener.This ever happen to anyone else? Makes feel like a fool for not knowing everything i own, but it also helps me rediscover overlooked gems i might not have ever gone back to check out.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Has anyone ever been pleasantly surprised by someone else playing a record or a song from your collection, that you didn't even realize you had?

let me think, no.

• yeah, i hear ya. If you're buying grips of recs, it can be easy to overlook something. It's always a good feeling to find a new banger regardless of the source.

• With me, I'll realize I had some crazy shit, although common, that I had overlooked. A few years ago, I played the flipside (and really listened to it for the first time) to Eddy Grant's Electric Avenue single ---

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I dig this out of sheer gullability for liking anything with a story, then doing that relisten and revisit with that little wider perspective on what was being felt or emoted.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    yup, that's a good one instrumental no?

• Yeah, "Time Warp", classic loft proto-house jam.

• Just happened again! haha

Had that Eddy Grant 12" for ages, but never really paid attention to the flip... Will prolly be played tonite!

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I buy a ton of soul 45s so this happens to me on the regular. If I'm out in the field digging with a player and I hear one good side it comes home. It's only later I hear flips with banging funk cuts or soul cuts vice versa.

• "time warp" is such a classic...and it's so weird because it's the instrumental to "nobody's got time" not "electric avenue".

another classic underground disco cut that is the unlikely b-side to a pop single is Steve Miller's "macho city"...b-side to "Abracadabra".

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    "time warp" is such a classic

yeah, it's hard to say which song sold more copies of this 12". Time Warp has always been a known certified banger from it's release.

• compare time warp to:

this is one of the most blatant jackings of a song without giving credit to the og that I've ever heard. I had this metro area 12" before later hearing "time warp". confused me.

also interesting when a friend will pick a different track on an album that you love for a different song. sometimes I forget about all the other tracks except the one or two that I always play.