Yacht Rock: who's idea first?

oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
http://blog.allmusic.com/2007/10/26/the-problem-with-yacht-rock/Who coined the phrase? And, btw, I am totally not down with this music. I hated it the first time around.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I can't front, dude's playlist at the end of that piece is

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    andy kellman is a good writer and the stuff he's talking about is all for sure. but i dont know that its really what i think of as exclusively yacht rock

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    And, btw, I am totally not down with this music. I hated it the first time around.

BAN

• And, btw, I am totally not down with this music. I hated it the first time around.

BAN
    BAN BAN BANNNNNNN

• I need a yacht rock themed mixtape..nothing but the essential shit. I think I have posted a similar thread before..but never got around to listening to the mix I DLed(lost it somewhere or something..cant find that shit on my PC.

Can yall hook me up with some DL links for that yacht rock mix HEAT!??!?
    So crucial right now in my life.

Ultra thanks to anyone that hooks up some HEAT for me!!!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    And, btw, I am totally not down with this music. I hated it the first time around.

to the 34,000,000,000,000th power. set sail on your bullshit dingy right the hell back to wherest you came from.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Nothing is wrong with Yacht Rock as a soft-rock sub-style. The same goes for Yacht Rock as a lifestyle. Yacht Rock as a viewing experience, however, could have been enriched with the addition of a few extra characters and scenes. George Benson on rollerskates, Quincy Jones smacking James Ingram with a conductor???s wand, Lenny White making fun of Don Blackman???s beaded braids (???Whatever, Patrice Rushen???), Don Blackman making fun of Lenny White???s lethal wide-brim hats (???OK, Odd Job???), the Seawind Horns and the Brecker Brothers rumbling over session work, a million-dollar party at Rod Temperton???s Montserrat mansion that makes Diddy???s exotic blowouts seem as lavish as a McDonald???s birthday party ??? these are scenes the Yacht Rock series could have used.

Even though any retro fad failing to recognize this nameless hybrid style and aesthetic is part of the problem, not the solution, you cannot really fault the makers ??? the mockumentarians ??? of Yacht Rock for their oversights. After all, none of the people mentioned above were ever all that rock. They weren???t really straight jazz or R&B, either, at least not during this era, falling somewhere in-between those genres while being rather pop. This was very rhythmic, very melodic, rather smooth music, and it doesn???t really have a name, even though it is very much in line with Yacht Rock, having occurred synchronously while benefiting from numerous crossovers. (Case in point: the presence of Patti Austin, Richard Tee, Ralph McDonald, Steve Gadd, and Harvey Mason on Kenny Loggins??? very first solo album.) Furthermore, Yacht Soul does not have the same ring to it as Yacht Rock. Ditto Catamaran R&B, Pontoon Funk, and Marina Jazz (mostly because that???s Chuck Mangione).

If repeated listening has somehow diminished the mellowing effects of Minute by Minute, The Gist of the Gemini, the flawless first side of Gaucho, and the parts of Tusk not made ???weird??? by Lindsey Buckingham, consider broadening your horizons with the playlist below, which only showcases a fraction of Yacht Rock???s part-pop/part-jazz/part-R&B/part-funk/part-quiet storm equivalent."