LOTR (nerd strut)

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
i played D&D once in my life in 1982 and can't really stand star trek so I am no gamer or sci-fi fanatic, but i love the 4 books that make up the lord of the rings trilogy (?). i'm on my 3rd reading and i watch the movies, extended versions, all in sequence at least once a month. i'm not saying i sit on the couch and watch intently, but i get a lot of use from those DVDs. am i alone here? anyone else ride for middle-earth? any news on the making of the hobbit movie? what say you?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I say, check out The Simarillion for some Middle Earth back story. I believe there's also a book of Unfinished Tales, and a book that his son Christopher finished after Tolkien's death called The Children of Hurin as well.

Getcho nerd on, Sonathan!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Yeah, I own the extended versions with countless hours of material.

I love the making of frodo's town, whatever it is called, on one of the DVD's.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    I say, check out The Simarillion for some Middle Earth back story. I believe there's also a book of Unfinished Tales, and a book that his son Christopher finished after Tolkien's death called The Children of Hurin as well.

Getcho nerd on, Sonathan!

ooh that Simarillion is a hard read! i started it once and let it sit for a couple years and just read it all the way through earlier this year. i want to check out the unfinished tales though....

Yeah, I own the extended versions with countless hours of material.

I love the making of frodo's town, whatever it is called, on one of the DVD's.

hobbiton? i met a guy the other day who is going to new zealand soon and said he was going to helm's deep. i guess they left all the sets up for tourists to check out. dopeness!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Those movies kinda sucked, I have no urge to ever watch them again.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    FRODO IS GAY

lot of hints through the books

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Love the series. The Fellowship of the Ring is my favorite of the films. The Hobbit/Fellowship are my favorite of the book.

• Those movies kinda sucked, I have no urge to ever watch them again.

Yeah, good to watch once so you can say you've seen them, but that's basically it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I enjoyed 1& 2, but wasny swayed to check the last one.
    As a teen i had a buddy who was a D&D head. He would sit in class designing customized mazes to bring to his crew. I was so impressed by that level of commitment, being an artist myself who spent crazy hours myself creating my own superhero universe in my mind.
    The sword & sorcery stuff can get a little boring to me. I can fuck w/ it for only so long. I realized later that Tolkien pretty much set the standard for the classic team of the Human Leader/Old Wizard/Archer Elf/Tuff Dwarf/Fighter Female/etc.....which became such a regular motif in many games/movies/books.

Props. I never had the opportunity to play D & D which just wasnt done in the hood.

• There are, from what I've heard, rooms full of Tolkien's writings, all having to do with the LOTR universe.

• Those movies kinda sucked, I have no urge to ever watch them again.

madness...them shits was great.

i grew up with LOTR and starwars.
    so the phantom menace trilogy and tolkein on film was a dream come true.
    childhood relived.

freddy vs. jason was pretty fuckin epic too

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    big fan but not at geek-out level since high school. the films were probably about as good as adaptations of the books could have been. Less weepy man-love between frodo and sam and it would have been just right.

got ill with the collector jones, started scarfing up early editions and such in the '90s. crown jewel of my collection is US 1st edition, 1st print, 1st impressions of the hobbit and LOTR trilogy hardcovers. No dust jacket on the hobbit, but im happy with what i got (1st 1st Hobbit with a DJ... well, lets just say choose that or a nice new car). All from a collection of 2 sisters who where total sci-fi packrats from the '20s to the '80s. (pix not mine but its pretty much what they look like).

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

hobbiton? i met a guy the other day who is going to new zealand soon and said he was going to helm's deep. i guess they left all the sets up for tourists to check out. dopeness!
    No, for Hobbiton he'll be pretty much seeing a few signs telling him all about it & maybe and empty field or two with the hills cut away a bit (where the houses were built). For Helms Deep he can expect similar signs but replace the fields & hills with rocks & mud. The film company took everything with them when they left. No dopeness at all

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I didn't read the articles but while walking through the grocery store I saw a magazine cover that said they are either thinking of or have already started making a film version of the Hobbit.