Bmore: FREE Thai psych film

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited October 2007 in Announcements
Join us at the Baltimore Museum of Art Thursday, November 1st[/b] at 8pm for a FREE[/b] 35mm screening of my single favorite new film of the last few years, Syndromes and a Century[/b].Apichatpong Weerasethakul's cutting-edge Thai masterpiece[/b] begins as a gentle courtship between two rural doctors told in a Wong Kar-wai[/b] mode, then ventures into a parallel story set in a sterile urban setting, and before long folds in on itself to evolve into a mind-bending stream of post-psychedelic imagery[/b] worthy of Kubrick[/b]'s 2001 and Antonioni[/b]'s Eclipse.Nominated for the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival and the surprise hit of this year's Maryland Film Festival, this bold cinematic vision proves there are still new stories to tell, and new ways to tell them.Don't miss this rare, FREE 35mm screening of this very special film, one that can really be said to be moving the art form forward![/b] This film is not yet available on DVD!_____________________________________________UPCOMING FREE 35mm SCREENINGS at the BMA:[/b]November 1[/b]: New Thai psychedelia: Syndomes and a Century (2006, 105 min.)December 6[/b]: Alain Resnais' bizarre sci-fi entry Je T'aime Je T'aime (1968, 91 min.)January 3, 2008:[/b] Hollywood psych: John Frankenheimer's Seconds (1966)February 7, 2008[/b]: Subversive African Cinema: Ousmane Sembene's Xala (1975)

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    This film is tonight[/b] (Thursday), 8pm, FREE.[/b]

Join us at the Baltimore Museum of Art Thursday, November 1st[/b] at 8pm for a FREE[/b] 35mm screening of my single favorite new film of the last few years, Syndromes and a Century[/b].

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    As always, the film tonight's free, and will have you on your way home (or off to more fun) by 10pm.

As further enticement to come out, some reviews...
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/syndromes_and_a_century/

"Syndromes and a Century is beguiling and confounding, and I hope to see it again soon: When I do, I suspect I'll understand it even less and yet love it more." -- Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com

"You have to abandon any preconceived notions about movies and allow your mind to be seduced by the mystifying, occasionally humorous world of a one-of-a-kind filmmaker. You might even find yourself becoming a fan." -- V.A. Musetto, New York Post

"Are these parallel tales a Buddhist romance? An attempt to induce something like 3-D narrative depth? A consideration of repetitive human activity over the course of a lifetime? You might as well ask why the breeze is rustling the leaves." -- J. Hoberman, Village Voice

"There's nothing here that resembles narrative urgency, but this is a quiet masterpiece, delicate and full of wonder." -- Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader