nintendo beats in hip-hop: discuss

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
Got this from the "What happened to being record related" thread and liked the theme. I'll start:Cocoa Brovaz - "Super Brooklyn" 1999 on Duck Down. Smif-N-Wessun cats over the Super Mario Brothers music. I loved this when it was released.Any other Nintendo music based records?

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    mac man

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yeah, I could use a listing of rap records that have used Nintendo (or other) video game sounds. Any sites out there with a lot of video game music mp3's or wav's? (I know there must be some...)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Busta Rhymes "Woo Ha"

• Lil Flip-"Game Over"

and also the Game Over(I think that is what it was called) scratch record with all the old school video game samples,etc.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Busta Rhymes "Woo Ha"

that's not a video game sample

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Busta Rhymes "Woo Ha"

thats Galt.

there really aren't that many that I can think of... I heard one recently I wanna say was Scram Jones? recent Beck 12" had some 8-bit remixes... TX dudes have used Pac Man a thousand times but thats Atari

• Smart Bomb Saafir

Proto Culture Del

Jaydee has an ill beat on Jaylib he got from a videogame if anyone has it, not sure which release, he plays the sample at the end of the beat to show how he chopped it, pretty ill.

oh yeah can't forget dj spooky on riddim warfare!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Oh No - The Ride

I did hear some of this orchestral record recently that was all video game covers... or at least they did a bunch of Mario stuff... it was great.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Madvillain - Do Not Fire!

isnt that the track that madlib uses a bunch of Street Fighter 2 samples on?

• The guitarist for Hella has a side project called The Advantage that covers Nintendo tracks.

• The guitarist for Hella has a side project called The Advantage that covers Nintendo tracks.

Ive read about tons of bands doing this lately

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    The guitarist for Hella has a side project called The Advantage that covers Nintendo tracks.

Ive read about tons of bands doing this lately

The Advantage
    http://theadvantageband.com/

The Minibosses
    http://minibosses.com/

Neskimos
    http://www.neskimos.com/

SelectStart
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/wuli32/menu.html

-----------

THE BATTLE OF THE BANDS
    http://www.141empire.com/141prime/minibosses_v_neskimos.htm

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I'll see if Twoply will post his remix of the Cocoa Bruvaz he does with another nintendo sample

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Fugees - Nappy Heads (Remix) - samples Super Metroid
    Khia - My Neck My Back - samples Rygar
    Busdriver - Avantcore - samples Parappa The Rapper

what is the protoculture beat from? some saturn fighting game, right? was it night warriors?

there's that Game Over series of crappy underground rap over crappy modern game music like Eminem & Masta Ace over soul caliber

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Man, I just wrote an article about hip-hop and video games for the current issue of GamePro. But for the "hip-hop sampling video games" sidebar, I only came up with "Smart Bomb," "Protoculture," "Game Over," and "Super Brooklyn."

I also have a 12-inch called "Go-Go Mario" that features the Super Mario Bros. music set to a somewhat go-goish beat. It's deleriously corny, but it has surprisingly good production value, leading me to think the record was made by a bunch of video game nerd studio engineers in their spare studio time.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    There's a song on Take It Or Squeeze that sounds like it was sampled from Perfect Dark, but I just can't call it. Anyone know the song I'm talking about? Middle of the CD, track 11 maybe.
    Peace
    T.N.

• Man, I just wrote an article about hip-hop and video games for the current issue of GamePro. But for the "hip-hop sampling video games" sidebar, I only came up with "Smart Bomb," "Protoculture," "Game Over," and "Super Brooklyn."

I also have a 12-inch called "Go-Go Mario" that features the Super Mario Bros. music set to a somewhat go-goish beat. It's deleriously corny, but it has surprisingly good production value, leading me to think the record was made by a bunch of video game nerd studio engineers in their spare studio time.

hey whatsup with that new gamepro review of killer 7 getting dissed? I think you need to defend your magazine, or maybe not who knows im done here thanks

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=562551&topic=21794859

I'll have to check out that article you wrote though sounds cool.

diplo - newsflash... don't know which game but its the video game breaks lp

• diplo - newsflash... don't know which game but its the video game breaks lp

Yeah, I think he sampled the Platoon NES game for Diplo Rhythm

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Man, I just wrote an article about hip-hop and video games for the current issue of GamePro. But for the "hip-hop sampling video games" sidebar, I only came up with "Smart Bomb," "Protoculture," "Game Over," and "Super Brooklyn."

hey whatsup with that new gamepro review of killer 7 getting dissed? I think you need to defend your magazine, or maybe not who knows im done here thanks

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=562551&topic=21794859

I'll have to check out that article you wrote though sounds cool.

First of all, this bon mot from that gamefaqs thread is fan-fucking-tastic:

Then again, I have an IQ of 128, so I tend to get things most people don't...

Anyway, what's up with Killer 7 getting dissed? Beats me. I didn't write the review, and I've never even played the game. I did read the review for copy editing purposes, and dude definitely savaged the game (which is extra funny because, as noted in that thread, we also ended up running a short Killer 7 strategy guide in the same issue).

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'll see if Twoply will post his remix of the Cocoa Bruvaz he does with another nintendo sample

Super Brooklyn World

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

hot shit, im inspired...

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    M.I.A. sampled that game NARC
    She made a dope beat with that

Man I wanted to beat her to that...I loved that game

My fav is stil the Coca Brov's

• loginlogin 52 Posts
    Oh No - The Ride

• I'll see if Twoply will post his remix of the Cocoa Bruvaz he does with another nintendo sample

Ha, that's pretty dope, were those drums tracked live?

• My homie Boac from the Bay used the Zelda theme on this 12". pretty dope shit.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

3 years later ... this shit is still my shit. Twoply need to make more beats.

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    Still ill... this needs to be Zab Judah's theme song before the ring!!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

3 years later ... this shit is still my shit. Twoply need to make more beats.

I think that was 4 years ago. Twoply needs more space in his apartment to set up all his equipment.