Fall Movie Strut

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Who's seen what?I'll ride for Margot at the Weddding, the upcoming Noah Baumbach (Squid and the Whale) film starring Jennifer-Jason Leigh and Nicole Kidman as sparring sisters. Has a lot of the charm of Squid and it's the most I've liked Jack Black in a long time. Also liked This Is England and King of Kong quite a bit. There are a lot of pseudo-indie Hollywood Oscar contendors that I'm on the fence about, including Into the WildRenditionMichael ClaytonGone Baby Goneand some forthcoming titles I'm interested in:ControlI'm Not ThereNo Country for Old MenAny thoughts on these, and what else have you seen?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i saw that "darjeeling limited." laughed my ass off more than a few times.

darjeeling limited > life aquatic
    rushmore > darjeeling limited

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Anybody seen 30 Days Of Night yet? Vampires in Alaska sounds hilarious to me.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

I saw that movie last week. A few funny parts but Wes Anderson cannot make a good movie anymore. I wish I would have walked out about halfway through and just enjoyed the first half for what it was -- a loose collection of very nice set pieces with no story.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I caught Lars & The Real Grl last night. I laughed a couple time s during the film which is pretty remarkable considering I hate Ryan Gosling for no good reason whatsoever.

some fantastic sweaters in that film.

and the female (non sex-doll) love-interest was kinda looking nice in that undercover freak way

I saw that movie last week. A few funny parts but Wes Anderson cannot make a good movie anymore. I wish I would have walked out about halfway through and just enjoyed the first half for what it was -- a loose collection of very nice set pieces with no story.

The trailer was awful. At least the the Life Aquatic trailer was good. Bad sign.

Can't stand Owen Wilson.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Previous thread devoted to Darjeeling/Wes Anderson discussion:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=964705&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I caught Lars & The Real Grl last night. I laughed a couple time s during the film which is pretty remarkable considering I hate Ryan Gosling for no good reason whatsoever.

and the female (non sex-doll) love-interest was kinda looking nice in that undercover freak way

I missed a preview screening of this a few days back, everything I heard back about it was (mildly) positive.

I also can't stand Gosling as a result of Half Nelson. If ever there were an overrated performance.,,

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Control
    No Country for Old Men

these two and american gangster are the only movies that i am considering watching.

after seeing darjeeling, wes anderson goes on my 'only on dvd' list.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Eastern Promises was kinda fresh...it got better as it went along. Real ill violence in it. A lot of weak as fuck plot points though....not sure why Naomi Watts' character gave so much of a shit about the kid....that shit got irritating.....but Vigo M was real rad.....worth checking out...

Eastern Promises was kinda fresh...it got better as it went along. Real ill violence in it. A lot of weak as fuck plot points though....not sure why Naomi Watts' character gave so much of a shit about the kid....that shit got irritating.....but Vigo M was real rad.....worth checking out...

I liked just about everything about this film except for the voice-over.

• shit looks corny. I like Denzel (Crowe has had some heaters but is corny usually). really the whole "obsessive earnest/honest cop vs. earnest/honest criminal who each come to respect each other even as they seek each other's death/capture, all leading up to a poignant shoot 'em up finale" is a little played out, no?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

I missed a preview screening of this a few days back, everything I heard back about it was (mildly) positive.

I also can't stand Gosling as a result of Half Nelson. If ever there were an overrated performance.,,

haters...

times one million

• isn't dude just the new james van der beek?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

isn't dude just the new james van der beek?
    look at that font!

• arright, whats the best movie to bring a girl to?

i really want to see halloween, but yall think comedies better for romance? tear jerkers? action? last movie we see was bourne ultimatum...we both loved it (but i didnt get none)
    thoughts?
    anna?

• arright, whats the best movie to bring a girl to?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

haters...

I spent the latter two-thirds of this film wishing that dude would OD or otherwise off himself and bring the damn thing to an end.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

Real excited for
    No Country for Old Men

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I haven't been this excited about a movie in forever.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Hey anna, how did you like The Omen? Did you throw a titfit?

• MortiMorti 68 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Real excited for
    No Country for Old Men

Me too. Though, from the previews, it looks a hell of a lot like Blood Simple...which is fine with me.

shit looks corny. I like Denzel (Crowe has had some heaters but is corny usually). really the whole "obsessive earnest/honest cop vs. earnest/honest criminal who each come to respect each other even as they seek each other's death/capture, all leading up to a poignant shoot 'em up finale" is a little played out, no?

true. but i always give Denzel a try. Crowe is certainly hit or miss. when he's on, it's worth it. outside of the played out storyline, my primary concern is Scott. reviewing his filmography, i relize he hasn't made anything interesting since Blade Runner. i don't know why i keep trying.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

I'm afraid to watch that.

I haven't been this excited about a movie in forever.

Yeah I saw this a few nights back. Honestly, unless the concept is can't-miss for you, I'd stay away. The first 15 mins or so are cool and have some great establishing shots of the small town. Very interesting setting for a horror movie with a whole lot of promise...

...most of which they squander, quickly. The vampires look like extras from a Marilyn Manson video (i.e. they are not frightening in the least), the story awkwardly feels like it takes place over a few hours instead of 30 days, and the ending is forehead-slappingly moronic.

Also, the preview made it seem like the film wants to grapple with the notion that the true horror of vampires would be them as proof of out world as a godless void, and while the film DOES try to go there, it stumbles every time it tries.

On the plus side, it's bloody enough. I am glad that we've moved past the PG-13 Miramax/Scream era of horror films.

Oh, and I saw Gone Baby Gone[/b] last night.

Surprisingly entertaining. I thought the last 30 mins got a little convoluted and drawn-out, and I'd like someone from Boston to weigh in on the authenticity of some of the characters and their accents, but this film worked more often than not, with strong performances from Casey and Ed Harris and some incredibly well-staged action sequences.

I wouldn't prioritize it over some of the other films out there right now, but I walked in with low expectations and walked away pelasantly surprised.