Wedding gig disaster time travel experience

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I traveled into the future and saw this disaster.Seriously, I decided to turn down a wedding almost entirely based on my gut feeling from the exchange below. After Dmac's story and some others, I decided I should start following my instinct. I felt like there were communication problems from the beginning and it foreshadowed a potential disaster the day of. These people came to my "home studio" (LOL) last Sunday for over two hours, I discussed details, provided samples from a variety of genres and did a couple of quik blends. The seemed really impressed.Then she wants a demo? Here's the funny thing: They never asked me for references. *************************************Hi Frank,My fiance and I were very pleased with the meeting on Sunday, and we would like to receive further information for our Reception. Please let me know how should we proceed from here. Thank you.Best Regards,X******************************************Hi, Bride X, I thought it was a good meeting too. Thank you for coming over. The next step would be for you to review the contract. After you review the contract, you can make changes or sign it. Then mail the signed contract to me with a deposit check for $50 to the address at the top of the contract. I will sign the contract and send a paper copy back to you through the mail for your records. We will need to meet again when your plans are more firm. We can meet as many times as necessary to do this. I will touch base with you again after I receive the contract and deposit. Please feel free to contact me at anytime by email or telephone if you have any additional questions. With best regards,**********************************Hi Frank, My fianc?? and I will review the contract this week. Also, we would like to hear the Demo CD (for about 30 min including Swing jazz, mellow jazz, piano etc.). We love Michael Buble, Norah Jones (Nearness of you), Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, Josh Groban, etc.As I've mentioned on Sunday, I've fwd the Michael Buble's web site for your convenience. (Please see below)Please take your time to listen to his album. Here's the list of songs that we would like to hear some of Michael Buble's songs on the Demo samples. Come fly with meThe more I see youKissing a fool (Live version)I've got you under my skinCall me irresponsibleI've got the world on a stringNice n easyGuess I'm falling for uQuando,Quando,Quandoyou'll never know (live version)Try a little tendernessThe way you look tonightKissing a foolYou don't know meYou and IAlways on my mindSong for youMe and Mrs. youThat's how it goesSummer windFor once in my lifeMack the knifePlease let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks! Best Regards,X*************************Bride X, I want to make sure I understand your request. Are you asking me for a jazz mix that includes the songs you listed? Or are you asking me to make a mix that includes the songs as only performed by Michael Buble? Thanks,Frank**********************************Hi Frank, How are you? I apologize for the confusion. Jazz mix that includes the songs I listed would be great. Also, if you can include some of the other jazz artists that I named would be great as well. Let me know if you have any other questions, Thanks!************************************Bride X, Here are two demos (below the signature). One is all instrumental jazz. The other focuses on vocal jazz. I included some of the songs you listed below, but it is not possible to include them all in a 30 minute mix. I am sorry for the delay. I came down with a very bad cold this week. Feeling better now. Best regards, Frank Instrumental Jazz Mix: (divshare link) Vocal Jazz Mix: (divshare link) *******************************************Hi Frank,Thank you for the Demo samples. The demo sounds great, we enjoyed it. Also, Is it possible to hear some of Michael Buble's and Norah Jones samples? Yes, it's the flu season. I hope you're feeling a lot better. Just let me know you're able to hear some of his songs from the Rhapsody's web site. Thanks!Best Regards,XXX**********************************************XXX, I do not understand the point of asking me for a demo that includes Nora Jones and Michael Buble etc.. If you have songs by them, or anyone else, that you would like to have played at your reception, you should specify that. I do not feel that my skills and experience are a good match for your reception based on this very confusing exchange. I recommend that you find another DJ. Thank you for your time and congratulations on your engagement. Frank********************************************Thanks for you time.-X

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Prejudice discolsure:

I HATE THESE PEOPLE. WORSE THAN YMCA MACARENA ELECTRIC SLIDE CHICKEN DANCE

Michael Buble, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Josh Groban

I've been able to get around playing these saccharine derivative fuckers by playing the original music.

(OK, Norah ain't that bad.)

• They will play your mixes at their wedding.

You made the right choice. They suck donkey cock.

They will play your mixes at their wedding.

I will detroy the reception if they rock my shit.
    That vocal mix was all Reprise monos and Columbia 6 eyes.
    They don't know what they lost.

MIKEL BUBBLE LOL

SPEAKING OF DONKEY COCK, DO YOU WANT TO GO TO THAT GAMELAN CONCERT OR WHAT?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Absolutly.

Fuckers.

Hey, cheer up, at least you can watch this:

• This sounds like a serious amount of work for nothing. Im just curious but how much does a wedding usually pays?

Peace,

Dress

• They will play your mixes at their wedding.

I will detroy the reception if they rock my shit. That vocal mix was all Reprise monos and Columbia 6 eyes. They don't know what they lost.

on your demos in the future, you should add a voiceover every 2 minutes or so, in your most commanding tone "This disc is for DEMO purposes only!" then it is rendered useless for anything but gettin a sip of the juice.

• SPEAKING OF DONKEY COCK, DO YOU WANT TO GO TO THAT GAMELAN CONCERT OR WHAT?

Huh? Where and when is it?

This sounds like a serious amount of work for nothing. Im just curious but how much does a wedding usually pays?

Peace,

Dress

Depends. The Richmond Virginia market is rather low. $600-$1000 depending on length of reception and travel.

I was asking $800 because this was going until 1:00 am, but was still located in the city.

SPEAKING OF DONKEY COCK, DO YOU WANT TO GO TO THAT GAMELAN CONCERT OR WHAT?

UR Modlin. Wed.

http://modlin.richmond.edu/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/696/cid

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I went to my cousin's wedding this past weekend.

For the "first dance," they opened with "You Send Me" by Sam Cooke. But then, midway through, the song switched to...

MY HUMPS.

And not just that, but my cousin and her new husband had a routine already practiced for the song.

It managed to be mesmerizing, baffling and tacky, all at once.

Alas, we didn't stay until the dance. Which was probably a good thing.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    the thought of you having to listen to/play Michael Bubble brings joy to my heart.

Absolutly.

Fuckers.

Hey, cheer up, at least you can watch this:

THEY HAVE NAVY. OMG. BOMB THEM.

the thought of you having to listen to/play Michael Bubble brings joy to my heart.

I still have not heard him. I'm sure he has a bossa album that's right up your asslley.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What were you going to charge these folls? Just seems like a LOT of work on your part.

What were you going to charge these folls? Just seems like a LOT of work on your part.

I don't mind the work. It was the communication issues that brought up the red flags.

A lot of time brides read shit in their little guide books that have a checklist of things to ask a DJ or whatever. I usually go ahead and jump through their hoops, but this was silly.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

what I dont understand is why they would request a second demo and request the songs. Dont they already know what the songs sound like? Couldnt do that themselves?
    Good call on staying away dude.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    The last time I did an event like this (a rich 40 Y.O. woman's party in the Hamptons) I laid my ground rules out first. I made sure that the only person who called the shots was the woman whose party it was (and was paying me). No interfering relatives or friends with their 'suggestions'.
    They were cool about it, and we selected a great night of music in the end... but I don't enjoy these events at all. Too much hassle. I only accepted this one because they threw a boatload of money at me.

Oh and Michael Buble sucks balls.

• SPEAKING OF DONKEY COCK, DO YOU WANT TO GO TO THAT GAMELAN CONCERT OR WHAT?

Not sure I can score tickets for that in 2 days. Let me see what I can do.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You should crash their wedding and dazzle them with your Herbie Mann inspired funky flute loopz.

oops

wait. was that in really bad taste?

down the memory hole.

was that in really bad taste?

probably.

BAN

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Then mail the signed contract to me with a deposit check for $50 to the address at the top of the contract.

$50 deposit? Son, you have got to up you deposit game.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This is great.

These people's taste is so deficient as to almost be evil.

• Then mail the signed contract to me with a deposit check for $50 to the address at the top of the contract.

]

No doubt. Fifty dollars? I require no less than FIFTY PERCENT.

Then mail the signed contract to me with a deposit check for $50 to the address at the top of the contract.

]

No doubt. Fifty dollars? I require no less than FIFTY PERCENT.

ok

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Curious...What are you playing for the first dance song?

Curious...What are you playing for the first dance song?

Slayer--Criminally Insane (Rick Rubin Remix)

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    XXX,

I do not understand the point of asking me for a demo that includes Nora Jones and Michael Buble etc.. If you have songs by them, or anyone else, that you would like to have played at your reception, you should specify that.

dude, you made them think you DIDN't have Norah and Michael music. They wanted proof.

from you, angry DJ.