45 Poast

BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So I was at a garage sale a few weeks ago and I came across some nice 45's that I thought I should share. It's pretty rare that I find any good records these days, I wish I picked up some more while I was there... Side A Canonball Adderley - Inside Straigt Side B Canonball Adderley - SaudadeSide A Woody Herman - Fat MamaSide B Woody Herman - The Raven speaksBetty Wright - I love the way you loveBetty Wright - when we get together againI don't know if any of these are rare but whatever they sound good, post up some of your finds. p.s. I got these and a pretty nice watch for 5 bucks!

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    whats up with the watch though..

right now woody herman is confusing to me.
    his older stuff is straight new orleans rag time ish. (wood choppers ball?)
    then he transitions to some funky jazz moves. (herbie hancock covers?)
    and bill chase leaves the band to start his own rock group?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

then he transitions to some funky jazz moves.

thats because woody came down with a disease called "keeping up with the times"

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

thats because woody came down with a rare[/b] disease called "keeping up with the times"

i wasn't alive at the time, but it seems that funk/jazz wasnt very popular judging by the volume of recordings that i have seen...
    correct me if im wrong

also, did any other rag time/trad jazz types move on to better things? it seems as though preservation is a popular notion within the genre

• right now woody herman is confusing to me.

thats because woody came down with a rare[/b] disease called "keeping up with the times"

i wasn't alive at the time, but it seems that funk/jazz wasnt very popular judging by the volume of recordings that i have seen...
    correct me if im wrong

also, did any other rag time/trad jazz types move on to better things? it seems as though preservation is a popular notion within the genre

After seeing Count Basie (I think it was him in the anecdote) having to beg for a few bucks to grab a bite to eat before a show, Frank Zappa gave Jazz the title of "Music of Unemployment"...I dont know how popular it was, but since RnB/Funk was the music fo the day, Jazz artists tried to make sounds they thought the people would buy/go to a gig to hear, so practically every Jazz artist had a few funky records...it wasnt so much that funky jazz was immensely popular, moreso that there were musicians trying to keep their head above water...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Count Basie (I think it was him in the anecdote)

Duke Ellington.

correct me if im wrong

I'd say wrong. Funk/jazz or soul/jazz was more likely to get airplay on Top 40 radio (on black AND white stations), so it was immensely popular. Why do you think Jimmy Smith and Ramsey Lewis albums turn up so often in used stores? Woody Herman (and others!) wouldn't have jumped on the bandwagon if it wasn't selling.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    so what i hear, is that Woody went funky for money.
    i can respect that seeing that most of his earlier stuff wasnt very artistically driven anyhow.

the confusion, at this point, lies in that he went from traditional new orleans jazz and hopped ship to what was selling on the other side of the jazz spectrum. I can see it as a logical step for straight jazz and bop musicians. in woody's case it seems rather unique for such a change. I cant think of any other artists that did this.

so what i hear, is that Woody went funky for money.
    i can respect that seeing that most of his earlier stuff wasnt very artistically driven anyhow.

the confusion, at this point, lies in that he went from traditional new orleans jazz and hopped ship to what was selling on the other side of the jazz spectrum. I can see it as a logical step for straight jazz and bop musicians. in woody's case it seems rather unique for such a change. I cant think of any other artists that did this.

I understand. I used to run up on that 45 of Woody doing "It's Your Thing" and I'd think, "this doesn't look right"...in my mind I'd keep envisioning the Isleys' song with a jitterbug rhythm and a clarinet lead, simply because it was by Woody Herman.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

funky soul brotha