Beat counters as they relate to mixers (DJR)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Do these things work? The few times I've DJed with a mixer with BPM function, it seemed like it was giving bad info. Have they improved? I'm in the market for a low end mixer ($100). What's good?

Comments

• observobserv 55 Posts
    anything with a tap tempo is better than a auto read function...

i usually use my 404 and just tap shit out...

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I'm in the market for a low end mixer ($100). What's good?

Is this a typo? Below $100? Your best bet is some old radio shack realistic at that price! Any beat counter at that price range is going to be whhhaaccckkkkeeeddd (unless you a getting a friend hookup or something)

On the BPM note, I own a KORG kaos pad mixer from way back in the day and the BPM counter auto-detects within a BPM or so, good for rough ideas, sometimes does the double up or halftime deal, but you should know the multiplication just based on the track, the BPM counter on the Pioneers are pretty dead on, the decimal point makes all the difference, if the readout goes down to the 10ths than you should probably be dialed. Is this BPMing for effects or for mixing purposes?

• I used to figure it out this way...

Then I got one of these and swore by it for a couple of years, but still a little remedial.

Now, this thing trumps all.

The only advice I can give - is always BPM (or whatever its called) your records on the same record player.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    this has always worked out pretty good for me
    http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

• this has always worked out pretty good for me
    http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

Thats cool. Does it average out the time for you?

That was the biggest problem with the little KORG metronome, it was TOO accurate and it would drive me nuts trying to get it just right (I'm like that).

The Pioneer gives you the average. 8 measures - no muss, no fuss.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I BPM everything with Taptempo by AnalogX, a free program. Works for me.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I use ARBPM

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    the only prog which ever worked for me was autobpm.. it reads bpm from the input (aka where i hooked up my mixer )

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

The only advice I can give - is always BPM (or whatever its called) your records on the same record player.

Yeah, this is my jam. Don't mix weed, DJing and BPMing, though???nothing sucks more than realizing you're at +3 and you can't remember how long it's been that way.

• The only advice I can give - is always BPM (or whatever its called) your records on the same record player.

Yeah, this is my jam. Don't mix weed, DJing and BPMing, though???nothing sucks more than realizing you're at +3 and you can't remember how long it's been that way.

Ha! I've done it numerous time. That is the only instance when this buttom is of any use.

The only problem with the KORG is that the buttons are so damn small.

They need a big button model like that big buttom cell phone for old people.

(JD - What dude, you got a jitterbug?)

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I'm in the market for a low end mixer ($100). What's good?

Is this a typo? Below $100? Your best bet is some old radio shack realistic at that price! Any beat counter at that price range is going to be whhhaaccckkkkeeeddd (unless you a getting a friend hookup or something)

On the BPM note, I own a KORG kaos pad mixer from way back in the day and the BPM counter auto-detects within a BPM or so, good for rough ideas, sometimes does the double up or halftime deal, but you should know the multiplication just based on the track, the BPM counter on the Pioneers are pretty dead on, the decimal point makes all the difference, if the readout goes down to the 10ths than you should probably be dialed. Is this BPMing for effects or for mixing purposes?

Haha! No typo, unfortunately. I just wanted a real simple mixer for at home, but was wondering if the BPM was worth a damn on some of those cheap-ass models. I suspected those counters would be worthless, so I got one without one. I have much hip hop BPMed using MacBPM, which is a simple but pretty nice program.

I was just wondering if I could avoid BPMing in the future, or avoid putting BPM stickers on all my records. Looks like I'm left with having to do both, but whatever. My 1200 finally has a brother again!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    avoid putting BPM stickers on all my records.

[nerd]Try keeping your info in an Excel spreadsheet. BPMs, relative volume adjustments to 0, treble and bass adjustments for 45s. It's nice, because you don't need to sticker your records, and you can sort by BPM, which makes putting together new mixes much easier.[/nerd]