Joe Torre Resignation Conference

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I couldn't help it. I'm watching the Joe Torre press conference right now. This man is amazing. As far as managing the biggest egos and being successful, I think he ranks up there as one of the best.New Yorkers, DISCUSS.

Comments

• I hardly give a shit about baseball, but really....fuck a Steinbrenner.

Torre's got a lot of class.

• I normally get a clean taper every other Friday, and talk around the barbershop this morning was that this was the Steinbrenners' worst move yet (and perhaps, their last strike?) People are really pissed.

I am not sure Torre would've stuck around either way, but the contract was straight disrespectful.

A sad day in NYC...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I normally get a clean taper every other Friday, and talk around the barbershop this morning was that this was the Steinbrenners' worst move yet (and perhaps, their last strike?) People are really pissed.

I am not sure Torre would've stuck around either way, but the contract was straight disrespectful.

A sad day in NYC...

Word. Never lived in New York and never been a baseball head, but my ass is getting all melodramatic over here.

"Non-baseball people making baseball decisions."

I hardly give a shit about baseball, but really....fuck a Steinbrenner.

Helluva lot of class.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Seriously. I may not like the Yankees, but there have been some very classy people in pinstripes over the years. Besides Torre, Rivera, Williams, and Jeter come to mind.

Not Posada, though. I can't respect a man with no chin. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He needed to go. The culture has to be changed. Do we wait 3 more fuckin years for fans to realize its never gonna get better.

Dude is legend....let him walk off in the sunset. Management wasnt gonna st8 fire him. Fans woulda bitched about that..."how could they!!!" There is no winning situation.

Both parties need to separate. He really needed to go after Boston Kicked that ass. Let Go pleez.

He needed to go. The culture has to be changed. Do we wait 3 more fuckin years for fans to realize its never gonna get better.

Dude is legend....let him walk off in the sunset. Management wasnt gonna st8 fire him. Fans woulda bitched about that..."how could they!!!" There is no winning situation.

Both parties need to separate. He really needed to go after Boston Kicked that ass. Let Go pleez.

"All good things must come to an end" eh?

Good point about changing the culture though. So who might be leaving besides Joe Torre?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    the man is amazing. he didnt care about the money. he cared about the terms. for a manager who has done that much...too offer him incentives if he wins a pennant or a divsion. straight disrespectful bullshit.

i am glad he gets to spend time with his family. i am sure they care about him more than the Yankee brass.

i am waiting to see how the lineup is looking next season.

please lets get Mattingly over that dickwad Girrrardi tho

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

please lets get Mattingly over that dickwad Girrrardi tho

as a red sox fan, i sincerely hope this happens...

• I thought Donnie Baseball said 'he wasn't ready' ??

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I thought Donnie Baseball said 'he wasn't ready' ??

did he?

i didnt hear that but who knows

id be ready for some money

I thought Donnie Baseball said 'he wasn't ready' ??
    did he?i didnt hear that but who knows

He did say that and he's not. Lou Pinella > Donnie.

• Pinella ain't goin anywhere... I hope they give Girardi the position... He did an amazing job with the Marlins proving that he can win with young players (which is the direction that the Yank's are trying to go).

• Pinella ain't goin anywhere... I hope they give Girardi the position... He did an amazing job with the Marlins proving that he can win with youg players (which is the direction that the Yank's are trying to go).

There are serious questions on girardi.

1- his ability to piss off management, hence fired in FLA.

2- REAL concerns about over using young pitchers, and blowing out their arms. That should be an issue, as the Yankees are trying to move that way, as you mention.

There aren't a ton of great options for them, so it should be interesting.

• 2- REAL concerns about over using young pitchers, and blowing out their arms.

Side-note: I think this is a complete modern day fallacy. Pitch counts are hilariously ridiculous.

• Pinella ain't goin anywhere... I hope they give Girardi the position... He did an amazing job with the Marlins proving that he can win with youg players (which is the direction that the Yank's are trying to go).

There are serious questions on girardi.

1- his ability to piss off management, hence fired in FLA.

2- REAL concerns about over using young pitchers, and blowing out their arms. That should be an issue, as the Yankees are trying to move that way, as you mention.

There aren't a ton of great options for them, so it should be interesting.

1. Did he piss off management cuz he was winning? From what I understood, the owner of the Marlins wants to move the team because their attendance sucks... That is why he traded away all of the key players a few years ago (with the excaption of Dontrell & Cabrera). The Marlin's last game of this season only drew 400 people... And this is a town that where a majority of the population is latino.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

2- REAL concerns about over using young pitchers, and blowing out their arms.

Side-note: I think this is a complete modern day fallacy. Pitch counts are hilariously ridiculous.

Not for Pedro Martinez... Ask Grady Little why he was fired from Boston...

Well then he's a pussy.

Well then he's a pussy.

2- REAL concerns about over using young pitchers, and blowing out their arms.

Pedro overthrows, just like his brother did. Just caught up to him at the worst possible time.

• All jokes aside, what it comes down to is in the modern day where athletes are supposed to be better conditioned, why all this pitch regulation? Dudes back in the day threw non-stop pretty much. Satchel Paige probably threw 3 or so 120+ pitch games a week.

All jokes aside, what it comes down to is in the modern day where athletes are supposed to be better conditioned, why all this pitch regulation? Dudes back in the day threw non-stop pretty much. Satchel Paige probably threw 3 or so 120+ pitch games a week.

I think a Scott Boras graemlin would explain it all, probably saying something like "here's a graph explaining A-Rod's potential production..." or some such thing...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The local sports talk station here calls Scott Boras "The Baseball Anti-Christ"

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

Helluva lot of class.

• I hardly give a shit about baseball, but really....fuck a Steinbrenner.

Helluva lot of class.

I thought these comments were a tad overboard when I read them at work today but after watching this evening on ESPNews I couldn't agree more. I also can't help but thinking that whatever braintrust came up w/ the idea to lowball Torre with an insulting offer should be in the running for biggest collective douchetards of 2007. You really couldn't ask for a better manager. You *could* ask for a better farm system (or at least one not raped by hasty trades) and a few glue guys in the Brosius/O'Neill/Martinez mold.

• You *could* ask for a better farm system (or at least one not raped by hasty trades) and a few glue guys in the Brosius/O'Neill/Martinez mold.
    The yank's farm system is bad?

According to the link below, it's one of the top 10 farm system's in the league...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&id=2742549

All jokes aside, what it comes down to is in the modern day where athletes are supposed to be better conditioned, why all this pitch regulation? Dudes back in the day threw non-stop pretty much. Satchel Paige probably threw 3 or so 120+ pitch games a week.

There's this Pitching instructor named Dick Mills who is on some next level shit when it comes to the mechanics of pitching. I heard him on the radio last year and my mind was blown.
    If he has a book im going to cop.

• i don't think torre is the fault in new york. i mean they don't win a title in 6 years and that's a disaster ? the cubs haven't won in a 100 years!

he won 11 straight division titles. so he didn't win a title in 6 years ?!

maybe stupid moves like trading away soriano, trading for dugout cancers like kevin brown and gary sheffield were as big a part of the descent. when you try to buy championships by throwing huge amounts of cash around it doesn't always work. you have to have CHEMISTRY, not a whole bunch of big name players. it's ironic that the president of the yankees name is cashman when they are paying more for a rod and jeter this year than the WHOLE royals or pirates teams makes this year.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    when you try to buy championships by throwing huge amounts of cash around it doesn't always work. you have to have CHEMISTRY, not a whole bunch of big name players.

Actually, I would argue that the Yanks this year had chemistry ...
    like I said in the MLB thread, it was IMO one of the all-time great
    managing jobs by Torre to rally his team to recover from their
    horrid start and be the best team in the league in the second half
    of the season. What the Yankees were lacking this year wasn't chemistry,
    it was PITCHING. This is why I find it extra absurd that Torre got so
    shafted - he did an amazing job with what he had this year, massive
    payroll or not.