Freddie Mercury/Queen Appreciation

GambleGamble 844 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Duder was one of the most insanely talented people EVER. His voice, for me, is hands-down the strongest in rock. Derided by critics at the time, but just so effortlessly talented. Played piano like a muhfucka and wrote some fuckin BANANAS SONGS.Killer QueenGood Old Fashioned Lover BoyBohemian RhapsodySomebody to LovePlay the GameCrazy Little Thing Called LoveDont Stop Me NowBicycle RaceYou're My Best FriendWe Are The ChampionsThen you've got:Save MeUnder PressureAnother One Bites the Dustamongst other songs I think Brian May or John Deacon wrote.But Gamble, there is some schmaltz in that list!EMBRACE YOUR SCHMALTZ DUDES.Picture me rolling, windows down in the Prius singing : 'm a shooting star leaping through the skiesLike a tiger defying the laws of gravityI'm a racing car passing by like Lady GodivaI'm gonna go go goThere's no stopping meI'm burning through the skies Yeah!Two hundred degreesThat's why they call me Mister FahrenheitI'm trav'ling at the speed of lightI wanna make a supersonic man of you Thats just how I get down.As for Brian Mays - redonkulous double tracked guitar shit. Sounds like synths half the time. Yowza.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    TENFOLD.

• I've come here to sell you my body
    I can show you some good merchandise
    I'll pull you and pill you
    I'll Cruella deVille you
    And to thrill you I'll use any device

We'll give you crazy performance
    We'll give you grounds for divorce
    We'll give you piece de resistance
    And a tour de force of course

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    As for Brian Mays - redonkulous double tracked guitar shit. Sounds like synths half the time. Yowza.

Bonus info: Brian May just handed in his Ph.D. thesis on "zodiacal dust clouds" 2 months ago, 36 years after abandoning his studies to devote his time to playing in Queen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6929290.stm

• I Ride!

I encourage anyone who doesnt like Queen to track down the 73/74 Concert video and give it a watch..you will be a fan after you see it...easily some of the most devastating rock concert films ever...good god they were amazing.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    TENFOLD.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    One of the best bands ever. The world wouldn't be the same without Bohemien Raphsody (SP?) and no other band in the world could give you a song like that.

Flamming Opera Rock!!!!!

I actually heard some dumb rock heads say "I liked Queen until Freddy died and I found out he was gay"

Really, you listened to Queen, saw there videos and never realized Freddy was gay? Really?

• That poster had an immeasurable impact on a Young Hogg.

And Queen's Greatest Hits--the one that came out around 1980, not the later version--was my favorite 8-track. To this day, when I hear "Killer Queen," I wait for the "ka-CHUNK" of the track change halfway through the second bar of Brian May's guitar solo.

• TENFOLD.

I am proud at the level of maturity displayed in this thread (so far).

• Flash ah-ha Gordon soundtrack

• That song from Wayne's World (Bohemian Rhapsody), was one of the first rock I ever liked.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I totally hate this product and/or event!!
    I hate Queen. I hate that dude. And I hate their music.
    Also I hate "We will rock you"... what else?

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

GET OUT! GET OUT! SINNER!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Flash ah-ha Gordon soundtrack

For real......has there ever been a better one band custom soundtrack for a movie????

PE for He Got Game is the only thing I can even think of as far as one group does a whole soundtrack.

• my fave Queen track:

• PE for He Got Game is the only thing I can even think of as far as one group does a whole soundtrack.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

PE for He Got Game is the only thing I can even think of as far as one group does a whole soundtrack.

NO THREAD JACK. BACK TO YOUR BOUNCING, BESWEARTED LATE-SIXTIES BILBETTES

• My god yes.

Plenty of Queen dropped at the house party i was at on the weekend. Always slays a crowd, without fail.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    The man was a genius.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just remember the streets was digging this heavily back in the day.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I remember as a young kid in school, we were talking about Queen, when my friend sais 'You know Freddie's gay (although this was not his choice of word), right?
    I think I'd only recently found out what a 'gay' was. My mind was blown.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Me and the Mrs are fans. We were rocking the hits this weekend in the car. They just don't write stuff like this anymore. I mean, how do you just come up with something like "Bohemian Rhapsody" given what was around at the time? And truly, able to perform live as well as anyone has. The Wembley Stadium gig, from 86, is one of those things you don't want to switch off.

We went to see a tribute band (I think this one was "A Kind of Magic") at a local miner's welfare club last year. Expected it to be amateur and funny-shoddy, but the place was packed beyond belief and they were note-for-note slick, which I guess is what the crowd want.

Freddie's sister lives in Nottingham, she was there too. Brian May has a place about 5 mins from here, in Linby. He has been known to drink in the Griffin's Head with Anita Dobson.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Really, you listened to Queen, saw there videos and never realized Freddy was gay? Really?

I know. The band's name was Queen, for god's sake.

Queen was on some other shit. I always loved Brian May's sound, too. Here he is in the middle of the most dramatic, over-the-top opera rock in history and he always had that raw, unpolished, grimy-ass jammin-in-my-basement tone.

Also, I heard somewhere that after tracking "Bohemian Rhapsody" someone took a look at the 2-inch tape and the shit was like, clear. Or at least translucent from so many overdubs. Anyone know if that's true?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Also, I heard somewhere that after tracking "Bohemian Rhapsody" someone took a look at the 2-inch tape and the shit was like, clear. Or at least translucent from so many overdubs. Anyone know if that's true?
    Yeah, apparently the tape was worn out from all the replaying for the vocal overdubs. They were practically praying for it to give them a usable master by the end. I think a similar thing happened with Sgt Pepper.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I am a huge Queen/Freddie fan. I put him in my top ten of lead singers/performers.

This Wembley Stadium performance always gets me hype. Dude is just controlling like 60K fans.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The first record I ever owned...

Haven't heard it in awhile, but I'll still go ahead and ride for "Dragon Attack".

• So good. The first band to get me really into wanting to make music/write lyrics, at the age of 7. RIP Freddie.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Totally[/b] X 1000.[/b]

And dude Fred had one of the most annoying voice in the musical world.

Peace