What's the Future of Public Enemy?

2»

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

What your basically asking is "Can people out there like PE like I do."

No, I haven't been part of their "loyal fan base" as I haven't bought an album of theirs since 1995.

I've described what I mean by a well-marketed album, but if you want a point of comparison an album that got advertised along the lines of A-list Stones Throw product, and sold in slightly larger numbers than their best-sellers.

Maybe you're hung up on the PE-specific part of this thread. I'm basically interested, as you said, if there could be a "grown ass man" market for hip-hop. Masta Ace has come close to tapping into something like, for instance.

• In the larger sense, I think Onetet raises and interesting point for rap nostalgia and career resurrection, to a certain sense.

I think the Rick Rubin/Starbucks treatment is gonna come for some hip hop group, and PE would be a prime candidate- trail blazing, relevance on the wane, but never completely out of the public eye.

It is interesting to think about, if nothing else. I mean, I don't think he's calling for the Bring the Noise tour-arena level success again, but a return to making critically lauded and relevent music.

PE, Jungle Brothers, i dunno...an interesting premise, imo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm basically interested, as you said, if there could be a "grown ass man" market for hip-hop. Masta Ace has come close to tapping into something like, for instance.

Now were talking. Ive been talmbout this up in herr for a minute.

Lord Jamar
    Ice Cube
    WC
    Kool Keith
    Sadat X
    Masta Ase

There just hasnt been some sort of "marketing term" for this "League of Seasoned MC/Hip Hop."

I support these cats but I dont really expect my peers to care.

So can anyone else picture Public Enemy having a bona fide comeback album?

NO

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I suspect most of the people musing about a possible PE comeback haven't listened to rap in a long time.

There's already a tremendous amount of nostalgia for earlier periods of rap, but it hasn't manifested itself in a widespread embrace of new work by older artists. And why should it? Seeing the artists you once loved as old men embarassing themselves deflates your nostalgia kick right quick.

And please miss me with Masta Ase, etc.--nobody but message board dudes are checking for that schitt.

There's already a tremendous amount of nostalgia for earlier periods of rap, but it hasn't manifested itself in a widespread embrace of new work by older artists. And why should it? Seeing the artists you once loved as old men embarassing themselves deflates your nostalgia kick right quick.

Your not gonna cop the new Whodini album?

Are they really putting one out?

Those dudes are pioneers of the failed comeback game--Jermaine Dupri put out their first "comeback" project well over a decade ago.

Are they really putting one out?

Those dudes are pioneers of the failed comeback game--Jermaine Dupri put out their first "comeback" project well over a decade ago.

They're not comin out w/ a new album........

Where is Philly Phill?

He is the last word on old man rap.

Where is Philly Phill? He is the last word on Old Man Rap.

Candyman Candyman Can...........

Where is Philly Phill? He is the last word on Old Man Rap.

Candyman Candyman Can...........

Thanks for corrected my capitalization error.

I suspect most of the people musing about a possible PE comeback haven't listened to rap in a long time.

And please miss me with Masta Ase, etc.--nobody but message board dudes are checking for that schitt.

I'm not suggesting a nostalgia kick, and I'm not talking about watching old men embarassing themselves. I tried to move past that with the Sex Pistols reunion; it's granted that most 45-year-olds are going to sound like clowns on a mic. But let's put it this way: setting aside PE, are there other "elder statesmen" (or women) of hip-hop you could see pulling of a well-rec'd, musically worthwhile record in the near future?

Serious disagree on your Masta Ace statement... and while I listen to less new hip-hop than I did in, say, 1996, it's still about 1/3 of my musical diet (as opposed to about 2/3 back in the day).

and while I listen to less new hip-hop than I did in, say, 1996, it's still about 1/3 of my musical diet (as opposed to about 2/3 back in the day).

ROCKIST

***hard at work on ven diagram of '96 vs. '07 listening habits to justify having heard a new Public Enemy album***

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    The climate of the music right now is cold. Sad, but people cringe at positive music with a sense of intelligence. Music with a message is raer nowadays.
    But they early stuff is classic....

But let's put it this way: setting aside PE, are there other "elder statesmen" (or women) of hip-hop you could see pulling of a well-rec'd, musically worthwhile record in the near future?

Sure, but only guys that never stopped doing so. Face isn't quite that old yet, but he's got to be pushing 40, and I'll always check for him. And Too $hort.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The climate of the music right now is cold. Sad, but people cringe at positive music with a sense of intelligence. Music with a message is raer nowadays.
    But they early stuff is classic....

I think that's the real issue. PE has put out an LP every 3-4 years but no one wants to hear sample based music with political raps. It's just not the thing anymore. They still have good beat makers. They still bring it live, but only real heads care. I'm a die hard PE fan the "poison" LP was the last one I actually paid for.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    i try to stay away from these discussions because they are never fruitful and people seem to never really listen to what is being said, but since i have been summoned i will try to enlighten even though i know my good intentions will probably be in vain.

i don't think that anybody in their right mind believes that old man rap will ever take over the music industry and become the hottest thing on the market... nobody here is saying that, are they? times have changed, as they always do, for better or for worse. To the youth for better, to the old for worse- this is how it has ALWAYS been and always will be. The youth of this era will one day be the old folks reminiscing about the good ol' days of Soulja Boy Tellem and Yung Joc or whoever, shaking their heads at how bad the music these new kids are listening to is. As for the new kids of today, they don't care about and probably don't even know most of these old man rappers or their old man rap. Okay, we all know this.
    Where I part company with a lot of dudes who pontificate on the internets about hip hop is the idea that hip hop (or rap, if you will) is youth music. I disagree with this, and I feel that this way of thinking really shows a lack of respect for the music as an actual artform as opposed to being just a disposable product. My feeling is that POP music is youth music, and as Q-Tip once said, "rap is not pop, if you call it that then stop". If you want to say that only the rap that's popular with the kids matters, well that's your opinion but once again I think that shows a lack of respect for hip hop as a legitimate artform.
    Old man rap is not gonna do huge numbers, obviously. But I don't see why anyone would think that these old timers can't still make good music for a smaller fanbase. Old ass singers and musicians are still recording and touring, and they're certainly not relevant in the pop music world, but they are in many cases still making good music and will whup the natural asses of almost any of these youngins who would dare challenge them live on stage. You really think it's different in the Hip Hop world? It's not, it's exactly the same. How many rappers today are fuckin' with Big Daddy Kane's stage show? And I'm not saying this to put down any of these young dudes, either... I like a lot of them, but it just is what it is.
    As for the subjects of this thread, PE, I think it's crazy to think that if they made an album today in the same vein as Nation Of Millions or Black Planet that it wouldn't garner critical acclaim and sell a decent amount of units. Would it be hot in the skreets with the kids? No, of course not. The whole world is not made up of kids in the skreets, though. PE has fans from all walks of life- many of them who were the kids 20 years ago and would still like to hear a good Public Enemy album that has that classic Bomb Squad sound. Due to sampling laws, unfortunately, there's never gonna be another Nation Of Millions... me personally, I'm not too interested in hearing a PE album without the sample collage- that was a BIG part of the group's appeal IMO. Other than that, though, I think Chuck's old ass can still rap, he still has a lot to say, Flav is still Flav, etc. They still tear it down on stage.
    I'll stop it here, because I could ramble on about this schitt for days. But I have a question for any of the soulstrutters who aren't seeing it from my old man viewpoint- why is the "old man rap" issue even an issue on a forum like soulstrut? I have never understood this about some of the folks who poast here. I mean, this is not allhiphop.com, this is SOULSTRUT, where I thought that old music, old records and just oldness in general was supposed to be celebrated and appreciated? No dis, everybody's entitled to their opinions... i'm just curious.
    And BTW, i have tried to keep it respectful, so I hope that anyone with a counterpoint will do the same... although if you do prefer to spar with me I can always hop in yo azz for a page or two. i'm built for it... it's just boring to me at this point