What to do?

inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I recently played at a local (very snobby) bar and it turned out that the owner really liked the kind of jazz i played at the end of the night. he asked me if i can get some of the records i played that night for him. i told him that these records arent "everyday finds" and that it might cost him a lot of cash to get hold of them. so he suggested to me that i should somehow get hold of these records and he will pay me some extra bucks for getting the records. extra bucks means quite a bit of cash i guess.. so, here`s my problem: this guy is a rich, snobby, arrogant person. the kind of "i drive the latest porsche", have the latest suites etc, f***face. i have a problem with people who want to own rare stuff just because they want to have something exclusive. i bet dude isnt really feeling this music, its more that he is turned on by the fact that its not easy to get hold of this stuff. he can "buy" some reputation amongst his friends..no respect for the culture of records, just nuff money to buy everything. i could really do with some extra money, but this seems just like the wrong thing to do.. i cant stand people like him. what does the strut say?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I say if you don't want to deal with him pass his info along to me and I'll gladly sell to him.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    On the one hand, most materialistic rich people don't have wealthy friends who would be impressed by a few rare jazz records as much as they would automobiles, mansions, and trophy wives, so there's a chance that he actually dug the music.

On the other hand, you're running the risk here that it's a passing fancy for him. I wouldn't do anything until he follows up on it, and even then only spend $$$ on records you'd want doubles of in case his interest fizzles, as it likely will.

• When he asked you, he didn't know how much these records were worth right? So I guess he liked the music in the first place.
    Nice way to make a few extra bucks...or get him reissues if available.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    When he asked you, he didn't know how much these records were worth right? So I guess he liked the music in the first place.
    Nice way to make a few extra bucks...or get him reissues if available.

yes. but once i told him that it might be expensive to get them, his eyes lid up.
    and he wants originals.

edit: oh, and about his friends thing: its a group of people that definatly have some taste in music, no doubt. so he would surely impress with some starcrost or whatever record.. thing is that those lads might have taste, but are complete a**es. its just another "increase your dick size by ten inches" for them to posess a certain, valueable record. at least i think it is.

• What were you playing?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    What were you playing?

winelight...?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Charge him double what you get them for. He won't care (or know).