rappers who still put on good shows/teh kanye rulz

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
kanye last night at a t-mobile party... whereas most artists will typically do six songs in a half assed sort of way, yeezy ripped through about 20 of his hits with a backing string section underneath the palm trees and lovely la night sky. i don't mean to gush but the show was that good. what other rappers are still putting on good fun shows?

Comments

• Recently saw the WU in Santa Fe New Mex and they ripped it!Even had Ol' Dirty's son come out and do pops songs..Plus Cappadonna and Ghost where goin ballistic..over an hour of killa shit.

• Cappadonna

now see that's what I'm talking about. these rappers need to start taking notes.

• Kanye kills it live. He does it the right way - a real DJ and backing musicians. Rappers need to step up their live show. Many of them thought of it as just a little promo for their albums. Times have changed for sure.

Other good shows I've seen:
    Roots (obviously)
    Beastie Boys
    Common - seen some amazing shows and some pretty lackluster ones
    I wanna check out Ghostface with his new backing band for sure.

Another thing is that these artists don't come out 2 hours after their scheduled set time.

• As far as newer artists go, Spankrock KILLED it last time I saw him.

Worst performer: 50 Cent

• Worst performer: 50 Cent

Yeah, he is horrible live. Only saw his live performances on tv(many times, though)..and it just really bad. Yet people in the crowd are always losing their shit(usually little thugged out suburban dumbasses, but still).

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The funny thing about that Kanye show above is that it looks and sounds entirely different from when I saw him a few years back, performing on Duke campus before he was a rockstar. It was shortly after the 1st album came out and all I can remember on stage was him, John Legend (who didn't have any solo records out yet) and a DJ. It was a great show though.

I saw Devin & the Coughee Brothaz over the wknd and that shit was outstanding. The group interaction was great (not dudes running around yelling) and it was a solid hour, mostly of Devin hits past and present. Rob Quest is awesome, looking forward to his solo. Dudes said that was the best reaction they'd gotten after 17 (I think?) dates which is pitiful, yawl oughta go check it out if you can.

Ghostface put on an excellent show a couple years ago, didn't know he was performing with a band now.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    kanye last night at a t-mobile party... whereas most artists will typically do six songs in a half assed sort of way, yeezy ripped through about 20 of his hits with a backing string section underneath the palm trees and lovely la night sky. i don't mean to gush but the show was that good. what other rappers are still putting on good fun shows?

Was this in the Wilshire courtyard?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    As far as newer artists go, Spankrock KILLED it last time I saw him.

Yeah, dude had me very sold on him when I saw him live. The CD didn't do it for me until I saw it live. He [and the DJ crew] turned the small city of Lansing, MI out. It wasn't a packed house, but people didn't care... they just lost it, danced all night long.
    If it were Detroit, I'd bet we'd front. Oh well... small markets rule.

That same night, I listen to Pase Rock propose to their tour manager about setting up a strip club tour. I had never seen someone so serious about anything in my entire life.

The rapper who surprises me with a tight show is Talib Kweli. I saw him at Suck The Bells and he rocked that puppy tough!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Recently saw the WU in Santa Fe New Mex and they ripped it!Even had Ol' Dirty's son come out and do pops songs..Plus Cappadonna and Ghost where goin ballistic..over an hour of killa shit.
    when was this?

EPMD killed it on their tour w/ PUTS

• he rocked that puppy tough!

• he rocked that puppy tough!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    As far as newer artists go, Spankrock KILLED it last time I saw him.

Yeah, dude had me very sold on him when I saw him live. The CD didn't do it for me until I saw it live. He [and the DJ crew] turned the small city of Lansing, MI out. It wasn't a packed house, but people didn't care... they just lost it, danced all night long.
    If it were Detroit, I'd bet we'd front. Oh well... small markets rule.

That same night, I listen to Pase Rock propose to their tour manager about setting up a strip club tour. I had never seen someone so serious about anything in my entire life.

The rapper who surprises me with a tight show is Talib Kweli. I saw him at Suck The Bells and he rocked that puppy tough!

thats what im saying, that cd is classic. It just feels like a dope concert all the way through.

• subsub 311 Posts
    atmosphere is pretty dope if you like him, ugly duckling are always entertaining, naturally the roots and common, french crew saian supa crew......

• Atmosphere: Maybe not Soul strut favourites but these guys have a well deserved rep for their live shows. Saw them 3 times in over 18 months and each show was completely different (and they were proper shows).

Common: Amazing showman.

Kanye: Saw him before the second album dropped. It was just him and A-track. Shit was dope.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

YUP.

And TOO SHORT, BEEEYITCH. Had a live band, called the women in the audience bitches, and they loved it, and (according to a witness) had women lined up at his trailer to give him head.

Me: "Man this is so awesome!"

Friend who is a lady: "Um, all he is doing is talking getting his dick sucked..."

Me: "Man this is so awesome!"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not sure if I've ever been that guy, but I'm long past through expecting a rock-spectacle type show out of a rap concert. And I don't say that like I've been burned so many times that I now give up. I say that because I like my rap house-party style, with beats and lyrics alone pushing an event into spectacle status. A good rapper especially doesn't really need any frills, as if his raps are tight enough a listener can get so locked into them that they aren't really focusing on anything else. I've seen/heard everyone from Rakim to UGK to PEACE to Mac Mall to MF Doom to Dougie D pull this off with an ease that screams what hip-hop is all about way more than any symphony or light show ever could. I mean, I simultaneously think it's cool when rap artists broaden their horizons and move onto grander schemes, but I can't then use those broader horizons as the new standard for what a quality rap show should be about.

Something I've learned from the DJ Screw scene is that for all that's put on the slowed and chopped part of Screw music, the lyrical emphasis of Screw music may in fact be its most stunning characteristic. Of course the beats are meant to put you into an other-wordly trance, but move beyond that and you'll hear dudes like Pat, Keke, Moe, and ESG totally going off. And to those who might think of their raps as technically simple, you are simply missing the point entirely as the kicker to what SUC rappers are known for is their tendency to leave everything on the table. They go for theirs, they let it all hang out, they go for broke, however you want to put it. And that's a great, great thing that other more deliberate rappers may never fully know. And that's just what Screw fans love, the escapism of submerging every bit of your being into some abstract figment of inebriated poetic skill. If any of you were to go to the Lil Keke show tomorrow night here in Austin, or had gone to the Trae show a couple of weeks back, you could see this in action as Rapid Ric and Hella Yella spin the classics and the crowd hangs onto every word like its scripture.

Point being, there is a whole lot to say for a bunch of fools lounging around getting fucked up reciting verses from records only to have that same experience translate to a rapper on stage with the same, if not even more, punch. I mean, that's what a lot of us are in it for...to get our heads sprung by the music itself...not to become enamored with loose tangents and magician tricks.

Not to hate on Kanye, but I don't think a Z-Ro or Lil O should be in turn deemed inferior when it just might be another unfair compairson between apples and oranges.

• Before people start freaking about the focus and obsession with Texas rap, that was a good point you made.

Kanye-as-rockstar puts on a good show, but Kanye-as-rapper does as well... the best shit to me is the rapper or group and the DJ, knowing their set, taking their crowd seriously, and laying it down for real.

Now I stumbled into a club out here the other night and that group The Cool Kids were performing. Now please bear in mind I do not keep up on the hipsteur-rap circuit. So this act is new to me. And despite the faulty sound running off Microwave they killed it. Animated back and forth interaction, clear mic presence and a live DJ controlling the set. No tricks no gimmicks just good hip-hop. Thaswhatimtalwmbout.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Saw the Sandpeople last night. Pretty good show. Lots of energy.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    ugly duckling are always entertaining
    thats word

• ugly duckling are always entertaining
    thats word

I admit that even though that ain't really my kinda thing, they did do a good job when I saw them at a Price Paul show.

• ugly duckling are always entertaining
    thats word

I admit that even though that ain't really my kinda thing, they did do a good job when I saw them at a Price Paul show.

Seeing these dudes back in college was always a treat. UD always came with it live.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Was this in the Wilshire courtyard?

it was at a golf course clubhouse at griffith park. pretty unusual but no complaints. outdoors, good sound, small crowd, and the driving range was open!

he got that ambition baby look in his eyes

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Pharoahe Monch's live performance is dope.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Recently saw the WU in Santa Fe New Mex and they ripped it!Even had Ol' Dirty's son come out and do pops songs..Plus Cappadonna and Ghost where goin ballistic..over an hour of killa shit.
    when was this?

Early August--they played at the Downs. Everclear, Blues Traveler and Rabbit in the Moon were also there. It was a pretty nice show from the Wu though.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Before people start freaking about the focus and obsession with Texas rap, that was a good point you made.

Agreed, but for an artist it's a double-edged sword. It's amazing when an MC and a DJ can captivate a crowd by themselves - no crowd theatrics, fancy lights, videos, anything. Really, nothing can top that kind of raw energy - every great live hip-hop show I have seen has been like this.

At the same time, do really grab an audience like that is so hard to do, especially when the audience isn't knowing how to get down at a hip-hop show, especially when the soundman can't make words sound intelligible. So many MCs/rappers don't know how to control a crowd - which I almost don't fault them for, because hell if I could really do it - but I think that's why a lot of artists hide behind some of the extra stuff.

Oh, and yes, Too Short is an amazing performer, as is E-40.

And I do wish DJs would mix at rap shows instead of punching that damn air-raid siren after every song.

• Whenever Scion has a rapper with a band.

Rakim
    Ghost
    Little Brother (yeah I said it, they're dope. They even do T-Pain and EWF covers)

I saw Q-tip a couple of weeks agi and he's DOPE.

• De La Soul is always good live.
    Rakim was wild at Emo's last year.

I heart me some hip hop, but I can name about a dozen who do good live shows. As a poet who performs with live back up sometimes, it is a skill.
    The thing that pisses me off about hip hop shows is the shortening of songs. When did that become a good idea?