Prefered method for posting pics on Soulstrut..

Ayrotollah77Ayrotollah77 415 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I'm still not clear on how its done..Any help/advice would be appreciated..I assume I have to go through a pic hosting site or sumthin'?Thanks-P

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Photobucket & then copy the IMG link.

peace

h

• thanks!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

peace

h

actually...you dont need to go to photobucket or imageshack.

Just click on the image and go to copy image location.

then

that way you wont save all this stuff to your computer to save space...if you dont want to save it.

either way works, but i like to not waste space.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    if you use firefox its even easier, just right click the image and click on 'copy image location' then paste it in with the appropriate bookends ( )

• Photobucket & then copy the IMG link.

peace

h

then

that way you wont save all this stuff to your computer to save space...if you dont want to save it.

using other people's bandwidth without their knowledge to host pictures elsewhere is

use imageshack/photobucket/etc, sites that are made for image hosting.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

woah! this works. thanks, i had no idea. you just saved me some time and (digital) space.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Of course, this comes with the caveat that some sites block hotlinking of images (geocities for example). You might even see the image in your own browser because the image is sitting in your cache, but when other strutters open your post all they see is a red x or blue ? or whatever. This is generally rare[/b], but it is something to consider. Also, if your image doesn't end with a tag that UBBCode recognizes, such as .jpg .gif etc, it will just show up as a url.

Now let's see some images!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

peace

h

then

using other people's bandwidth without their knowledge to host pictures elsewhere is

use imageshack/photobucket/etc, sites that are made for image hosting.

I see your point, but I think this happens a lot more often nowadays.

Not like we are making money of it...or like posting an mp3 that you can download?

Again I see your point, but I don't see how its ?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The only problem with that is that what your really doing is stealing someone else's bandwidth.

Which I don't have a problem with. But it doesn't give you any control over the image and the person who host it can cut you off whenever he wishes.

While with pic hosting sites you can have some controls if you wish. I've posted stuff on sites like imageshack which have stayed up for a year or two no problem.

Once in a while I use http://bayimg.com/

Which allows you to host something and you can set a removal code if you wish.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    The only problem with that is that what your really doing is stealing someone else's bandwidth.

Which I don't have a problem with. But it doesn't give you any control over the image and the person who host it can cut you off whenever he wishes.

Interesting, I didn't really know any of this. I'd been using photobucket up until a few minutes ago w/ elise's post. Maybe now I'm back to using it.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

While with pic hosting sites you can have some controls if you wish. I've posted stuff on sites like imageshack which have stayed up for a year or two no problem.

well, i also remember with photobucket you can upload a pic by using the image location as well...if you feel it's necessary, and don't want to steal bandwidth. Also saves space on you hard drive.

So...theres another option.

• Up until maybe a year ago, I had no clue that there was an "insert IMG button" when posting. I scrolled over to the right by accident and found it(wasnt visible on my screen until I did that). I had always manually wrote out the html code every time(not that it took long to do, but still..)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

well, i also remember with photobucket you can upload a pic by using the image location as well...if you feel it's necessary, and don't want to steal bandwidth. Also saves space on you hard drive.

So...theres another option.

you can do that with many hosting sites. You just might have to install something.
    Like Imageshack has a bunch of tools.

http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=features

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    the FAQ has some other good tips too

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    with photobucket you can upload a pic by using the image location as well

You can also do that with imageshack. No need for an account.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

Big cosign. You'd be surprised at how much bandwidth is used up by a leeched image. Here's a story about someone who got revenge on some image leechers.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Big cosign. You'd be surprised at how much bandwidth is used up by a leeched image. Here's a story about someone who got revenge on some image leechers.

In theory: you have a point, in reality: grow up.

I've had people use my images plenty of times, it's never cost me money, or contributed to global warming, and it's a good way to see who's visiting your site. And if you have half a brain you can have a bit of fun with it. I once switched out a strutter's avatar that was hosted on my server with a picture of Bsides?? boyfriend/trainer. Another time a goth site was linking a logo from one of my sites so I changed it to "cheer up Goth".

Now, if you are talking about blogs who use other people's LP scans and mp3s for their own blog posts, then that is super but not for any reasons to do with teh Internet. The question that needs to be asked then is why they even bothered getting out of bed that day.

In theory: you have a point, in reality:

In reality, I work for a company that, among other things, provides cheap web hosting plans w/ as little as 100MB of monthly bandwidth. I have had to deal w/ people running of bandwidth due to hotlinking numerous times. Is it particularly fair for someone's site to go down b/c someone else decided to leech their bandwidth?

Thanks for your input, though.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

In theory: you have a point, in reality:

In reality, I work for a company that, among other things, provides cheap web hosting plans w/ as little as 100MB of monthly bandwidth. I have had to deal w/ people running of bandwidth due to hotlinking numerous times. Is it particularly fair for someone's site to go down b/c someone else decided to leech their bandwidth?

Thanks for your input, though.

I'm guessing they don't have htaccess control, nor do you tell them about it.

Sounds like your company is the problem. $6 a month gets you Gigabytes of bandwidth. Are you a reseller?

Hit me on the PM and I'll explain the business model; we've derailed this thread enough.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Hit me on the PM and I'll explain the business model; we've derailed this thread enough.

What and burden RAJ's server with even more needless GET requests?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Also, if your image doesn't end with a tag that UBBCode recognizes, such as .jpg .gif etc, it will just show up as a url.

I just use the HTML img src[/b] tag instead of UBBCode. That way pics with (almost) all extensions will show up. And you can control the image size as well.