Records that changed your life....

Comments

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    mudhoney - superfuzz bigmuff
    the orb - u.f.orb
    atcq - low end theory

That's my foundation, right there: the music that got me into music.

• Chrome-"alien soundtracks" and "Half-Machine Lip Moves"
    Miles Davis-"Bitches Brew"
    Dinosaur Jr.-"Green Mind"
    and many, many others......

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    No Question..

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    By "changed your life," I assume you mean the album changes the way you think about life or music, or how your life relates to music (or the other way around?).

Too many to list, but here are a few I could think of:

Grade school[/b]:

Middle school[/b]:

High school[/b]:

Post high school[/b]:

At least, this is the one that really got the ball rolling...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

hehehehhehe....

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

The record that made me stop waiting for Led Zeppelin to condescend to play anywhere apart from London, and made me realise that you didn't have to be a virtuoso to make music. I remember literally running home from my boy's one night because John Peel had said the previous night that he'd be playing something by the Ramones on the following night's show. I taped "I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You", took it to band practice a few days later and told the rest of the band, "We need to be doing stuff like this". They laughed. A week or so later, they threw me out of the band.

The record that made me realise that "Rapper's Delight" wasn't a novelty record. Discovering this record, and others, for myself without having read about it in the music press, or heard it on the radio or in clubs, was a real thrill for me. Early rap was the most exciting thing I'd heard since punk rock.

B-Side wins again. "Rebel" was an absolutely titanic game-changer of a record. Nobody had ever heard anything like it, simply because nobody had ever made anything like it. The bar had been raised.

At the end of 1986/beginning of 1987 (I can't recall exactly when), I remember going to one of the regular soul/funk all-nighters they used to hold at Legends in Manchester. Despite the name, the musical brief at these events tended to be fairly broad - around then, you'd hear current hip-hop tunes (Mantronix productions were particularly popular) alongside the sort of soul/funk that might be described as "modern" now - the first Tashan album, lots of Paul Laurence Jones/Kashif productions, early Jam & Lewis like SOS Band, Change, Alexander O'Neal or anything off that Thelma Houston album they produced, and Nick Martinelli joints like Loose Ends, 52nd Street, etc. This particular night was different, though. Many of the DJs had suddenly abandoned the soul/funk/r&b stuff they usually played in favour of what was then becoming known as "house", and that night it was the only stuff that was getting the kids - particularly the young black kids from Hulme and Moss Side - on the floor and keeping them there. One DJ in particular, a young kid of about 18 or 19 named Patrick Boothe, absolutely smashed it. He was the first person I ever heard properly DJ-ing all that shit, throwing in all kinds of cuts, scratches, chops and quick mixes as he tore through his set. The energy level went up 100% and the floor was packed for an hour solid. I just stood at the side watching everything and quietly grooving on it, not really sure what was happening but nevertheless convinced that something definitely was happening. I heard Fingers Inc.'s "Can You Feel It" for the first time that night. I heard Patrick Boothe spin at the PSV in Hulme a month or two later, but never again after that. He seemed to disappear off the face of the earth not long afterwards, and his name never comes up in any lists of pioneering UK house DJs. Two years later, almost every club in the UK was playing house music all night long.

• honest and w/ disregard for taste-pc-ness:

0-12 years old[/b]
    beastie boys - licensed to ill
    dire straits first lp
    blue and red beatles comps
    first paul simon solo lp
    thriller

12-18 years old[/b]
    bloodsugarsexmagik
    atcq - low end theory
    pantera - vulgar display of power
    early palace music releases
    afghan whigs - gentlemen

18-23 years old[/b]
    lee scratch perry - arkology boxset
    12" releases on full cycle, v, prototype and photek recordings
    johnny cash' american recordings
    aquemini(sp)
    meters - rejuvination
    donny hathaway - everything is everything

23-29 years old[/b]
    nick drake - bryter layter
    pharoah sanders - upper and lower egypt
    joe bataan - singing some soul

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Great thead!

For me,

Headhunters and pretty much all 70's Herbie.
    Sylvers I, II, III
    Musical Massage
    I Want You
    Don Blackman
    Hutson I, II

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    From earliest memories to most recent.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    beatles....white album

I was 12 years old, and I was blown away. I remember bumping Happiness is a Warm Gun a lot, hell, the whole album.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Booker T and the MGs 'Green Onions' b/w 'Bootleg'. 1980. Started my digging odyssey.

Joe Smooth 'Promised Land'. 1988. Discovered warehouse parties, house music, oms and doves.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    huge on

that shit blew me away!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'move your body' by marshall jefferson.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

I bought a copy from a pile of records with no covers in a thrift store on Powell Street in San Francisco February, 1990.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Kiss - Alive II
    Dead Kennedys - Fresh fruit for rotting vegetables
    The Ex - History is what's happening
    Black Flag - Damaged
    Minor Threat - Out of Step
    7 Seconds - The crew
    Youth Brigade - Sound and Fury
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    John Coltrane - Love Supreme
    Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
    Sonic Youth - Sister
    Stevie Wonder - Inner Visions
    Marvin Gaye - What's going on
    Minutemen - What makes a man start fires
    Public Enemy - It takes a nation of millions

the list is endless but these are all milestone records in my life....

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I didn't know crap about jazz when I first heard this. It blew my mind then and it still does now.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

My very first vinyl album, and the first joint where I felt to need to listen to it with all lights off while laying on the living room floor staring toward the ceiling

Parliament - Mothership Connection

The album that let me know that Funk would be the way of my walk for the rest of my life.

Metallica - And Justice for All

The album that made me kick all hair metal to the curb and listen to real metal.

and as lame as it sounds, BDP's Edutainment. As a young white kid from the suburbs, it was the first hip-hop that brought up issues I'd never thought about before. It made me very aware of my whiteness. Plus I bought the tape. A lot of hip-hop I had heard thus far belong to friends or other kids at school. I had a chance to really sit down with Edutainment.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Beatles - Meet The Beatles (the record that got me in to music in the first place)
    Beastie Boys - Paul???s Boutique (the first time I really listened to sampling in music production)
    Style Council - Confessions of A Pop Group (an 80's "pop" album that replaced the traditional band backings with a full string section on side 2; blew my tiny little mind at the time)
    Lewis Taylor - S/T (sheer genius)
    Carl Carlton - S/T (the album that began my Modern Soul phase)
    Daft Punk - Discovery (the album that inspired me to collect analog synths)

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    really, wu tang is for the children...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    John Coltrane and Love Supreme
    Black Nasty
    Clipse - teh one about cracks
    Le Copt: The Album
    Nanokinunu Rail Singers - A Great African Band
    Identical

and on and on

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Identical

School me on the Tootsie fonk.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

these 2 were the records that really spoked to me on a musical and humorous level. It gave me a lifestyle and a way to be and act. Yeah i was into the samples- but they were also cool as hell!

and this was the other sound in my head!

• unityunity 179 Posts

still my #1

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

at age 15 and being a metal head, hearing the distortion and power, but with pop hooks blew my mind...

age 18, finally decided to look into old/local music...I learned what a groove was from this...soul addiction begins here

while looking for soul sounds early on (I was 19 or 20) a buddy gave me a cassette of this...raer soul addiction starts here:

• i neeeeeed that, pleeeease!

• this is when funk was born again!