Collection-Buying Stories

2»

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I scored every Black Jazz, Strata East (minus a very small few), worthwhile CBC/RCI jazz, and multiple Tribe LP's for a buck each at a nameless Radio station sale.

This was back in 2001/2002........

That sort of stuff doesn't really happen to me anymore.

I cry.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

btw how do you guys hear about these collections ?

do you put out ads in the paper, hand out flyers, i know if you have a store people try to contact you, but how do you non store owners get in contact with good collections ?

is it all about connections ?

That's what connections is all about/time in time out from a whisper to a shout/that's what connections is all about

Hey, where's the dude who bought the dead guy on the couch's collection from his wife? That was an interesting yarn, would like to hear it again.

• worthwhile CBC/RCI jazz

That sort of stuff doesn't really happen to me anymore.

I cry.

you still need that electric ninja group?...I remembering you mentioning it once but cant remember if you had it or wanted it? Also have a spare Sadik Hakim if needed...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

YES MORK I AM HOMELESS LIVING IN THE BATHROOM OF A STARBUCKS IN NEEDLES CALIFORNIA. IT'S GETTING COLD TOO. DO YOU HAVE ANY BLING BLING HIP HOP WEAR YOU COULD LOAN ME FOR THE WINTER? PREFERABLY SOMETHING WITH EMBROIDERED DOLLAR SIGNS?

Cool, pm me your shipping address

• Went to a guy's house in suburban DC a few years back. Dude lived a quarter mile from a thrift store and went there every day for over 20 years. House had records (5 foot tall vertical stacks) in the kitchen, living room, bedrooms. hallways, basement, everywhere. He was slightly "off" and his sister had intevened and got him to sell the records. Guy didn't even have a turntable in the house.
    The entire time we were digging he sat in the kitchen in his wife-beater smoking a cigar and saying "bet you've never seen that many records before in your life uh?" over and over again.
    Found some great stuff in there but had to weed through a lot of crap (basically like going through 20 years worth of thrift store records). By the time we left there was a huge cloud of dust throughout the house as we'd disturbed the "force."
    Fatback and Secret Chimp later went to his workplace (a barber shop) where he had more records and returned with more tales of dust, hair, weirdness and good records .

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    nah dude that is my $100 score from east county
    that I even hipped my friend to but he slept
    yup, all those for $100

10K was much more impressive, believe me

XXL all-over print ostentatiousness.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I scored every Black Jazz, Strata East (minus a very small few), worthwhile CBC/RCI jazz, and multiple Tribe LP's for a buck each at a nameless Radio station sale.

That sort of stuff NEVER HAPPENS TO ME AT ALL.[/b]
    I cry.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    drawings by young children

some handwritten lyrics that were awful.

I'm into things like this if they are rap related.

b/w

stay the Frickin' frick out of Richomnd!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

b/w

I know my way around man. There was a gunshot I'd say seven blocks away when we rolled up but we weren't in the triangle.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

b/w

I know my way around man. There was a gunshot I'd say seven blocks away when we rolled up but we weren't in the triangle.

I think you guys are talking about 2 different Richmonds

• Went to a guy's house in suburban DC a few years back. Dude lived a quarter mile from a thrift store and went there every day for over 20 years. House had records (5 foot tall vertical stacks) in the kitchen, living room, bedrooms. hallways, basement, everywhere.

I did a buy like that a few years ago. Dude was 90+ years old and still buying records. He also had lots of guitars, assorted instruments, sheet music (he once owned a music store) and lots of toys. His family contacted me. They said they were worried about his safety with all this shit in the house. They were going to take him to Florida for a week while myself, some guitar guys, and some clean up dudes went to work. I show up and there's a pile of 50 guitars on the front lawn along with 2 huge dumpsters. The basement is filled with records and they tell me that I can have anything I want but I have to haul one box out at a time, go through it outside, and pitch whatever I don't want. Records in exchange for work. They said when I'm done with the basement I can start on the upstairs. Once upstairs they asked me to leave about 200 records scattered about so the old dude wouldn't freak out too bad when he got back from Florida. The true sign of record collecting illness bared itself when I asked to use their bathroom. Upon entering I noticed that he had installed record shelves in front of the shower, blocking any entrance to it. He had stopped showering to store his records. Ill. I came away with about 2,000 good records and threw about 20,000 away. The guitar guys were in heaven, tons of vintage stuff in the attic. We filled those two industrial dumpsters and still had more shit piled up.

The best part was when I was loading up the guitar guys asked me if I wanted any music eqipment. I told them I didn't play but thanks anyways. The head guy pointed to this huge mound guitars, pedals, and assorted musical eqipment on the front lawn and said "C'mon, look at this shit. You gotta take something!". So I went over and grabbed a random guitar, some crazy looking effects pedal, and a brand new kalimba still in the box.

MCF