ARTSTRUT: Who's your favorite painter?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Tough question I know- (it's like what's your favorite record...) But for innovation, diversity and consistency mine is Gerhard Richter[/b]

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I also love the water colors of Winslow Homer:

Cant forget Francis Bacon:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Gerhard Richter[/b]

He had an installation at the SF MOMA that I really liked. But I'm also, admittedly, a bit of an art Philistine.

Oh, and I recently found out that one of the first friends I ever had as a kid is now some hot-shot painter dude. I'll leave it up to more discerning art minds to determine if he's any good. I just thought that was pretty cool.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Richters a good choice. I'm more into Helnwein though.

- spidey

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    hard to narrow down... but probably Patrick Caulfiled... his shit is wickedly vacuous.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I like that old hironymous bosch shit, even though I don't really know how to spell his name.

• Cant forget Francis Bacon:

When I lived in Fort Worth, I lived a couple blocks from the Modern Art Museum and they had a Bacon exhibition (pretty remarkable considering most of his work is in private collections) of over a hundred paintings and a movie. I went to it almost every day for a month. Amazing

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    I like that old hironymous bosch shit, even though I don't really know how to spell his name.

BIG

I've seen his name spelled differently a few times, but i think Hieronymus or Jheronimus is the most common used.
    I would love to go to the Prado museum in Madrid to view his work some day. Heavy shit...

• I've gone on record as being very pro Ed Ruscha in the past:

I love a lot of the California art from that time...Wayne Thiebaud, Richard Diebenkoren...That was some of the stuff that really got me interested in art.

Ed Ruscha's onpoint. Richard Prince is another fave. Great show going on at the Guggenheim:

• Miro, Picasso, Grant Wood, Thomas Hart Benton, El Greco...

Midnight Ride of Paul Revere by Grant Wood

This was (may still be) hanging in the Phildelphia Museum of Art for years.

one more!

toulouse lautrec

DUDE WAS MAD ILL!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Goya and Balthus are two favourites

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I've gone on record as being very pro Ed Ruscha in the past

i was reluctant to say Ed Ruscha because he is so much more than just a painter. i love his printmaking and photgraphy as well. and i love how he made this using gunpowder

and i love his sense of humor

he still impresses me. i love his "country cityscapes" series where he had images of huge landscapes with blanks and at the bottom were threatening sentences in tiny print.

and i agree with thiebaud.

bay area heads should check out the Joseph Cornell retrospective at the SFMOMA. there's 200 works on display. he's awesome and i love his shadowboxes

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    as far as un-song duders:

Beccafumi.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    You can't beat Caravaggio.

• i was reluctant to say Ed Ruscha because he is so much more than just a painter.

Agree with this...wife and i balled out on a nice copy of "34 Parking Lots" to celebrate our 1st (Paper) anniversary.

And, saw that Cornell show this summer here. He's a fascinating guy, and my love of his collages grew IMMENSLY after seeing that show.

I don't know how I felt about seeing all of his stuff in one place...got to be a little much. But, dude could do the do.

• Not my favorite, but I'm currently enjoying his work

Mati Klarwein :

• DId you know that Van Gogh only sold one painting during his life?

Don't think I need to post any of his paintings: We've all seen them before.

I also like Peter Brueghel quite a bit.

"Musee de Beaux Arts" by Auden

About suffering they were never wrong,
    The Old Masters; how well, they understood
    Its human position; how it takes place
    While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along;
    How, when the aged are reverently, passionately waiting
    For the miraculous birth, there always must be
    Children who did not specially want it to happen, skating
    On a pond at the edge of the wood:
    They never forgot
    That even the dreadful martyrdom must run its course
    Anyhow in a corner, some untidy spot
    Where the dogs go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse
    Scratches its innocent behind on a tree.
    In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
    Quite leisurely from the disaster; the ploughman may
    Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,
    But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone
    As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green
    Water; and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen
    Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,
    had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on.

"Landscape with the Fall of Icarus" by William Carlos Williams

According to Brueghel
    when Icarus fell
    it was spring

a farmer was ploughing
    his field
    the whole pageantry

of the year was
    awake tingling
    with itself

sweating in the sun
    that melted
    the wings' wax

unsignificantly
    off the coast
    there was

a splash quite unnoticed
    this was
    Icarus drowning

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    So many to name, so many to name, so I'll just say one: Sidney Goodman

Paging BATMON.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

paging Noreille.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I love her.

Sonia Delaunay[/b] , Rhythm, 1938, oil on canvas, 182 x 149 cm, Georges Pompidou Center, Paris

Sonia Delaunay[/b], Electric Prisms, 1914, oil on canvas, 250 x 250 cm, Georges Pompidou Center, Paris

Sonia Delaunay[/b], Composition aux Disques, 22.7 x 15.8 cm

Sonia Delaunay[/b], Viertel , 1968

Rythme Couleur I

Musee National Dart Moderne

-

Sonia Delaunay[/b]

French artist.

Born in Ukraine, daughter of a Jewish factory owner, she was brought up by an uncle in St Petersburg [now Leningrad]. At first determined to be a mathematician, she then studied under the draughtsman Schmidt-Reutte in Karlsruhe (1903-4) and arrived in Paris in 1905. Inspired by Van Gogh, Gauguin and the Fauves, she was recognized as a bold, innovative artist and became friendly with Picasso, Braque and Derain. In 1909 she married the art critic Wilhelm Uhde, and after their marriage of convenience was ended in 1910, became the wife of painter Robert Delaunay, their son was born in 1911. Together they developed the techniques of Orphism, and Simultanism, based on abstract harmonies of colours and design. A versatile artist, she illustrated the poems of Cendrars, exhibited paintings at the Salon des Independents, decorated pottery and, after the loss of her family fortune in the Russian Revolution of 1917, made a living by designing textiles, dresses and book-bindings. She was also associated with Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, and designed dresses with Heim for the Exposition des Arts Decoratifs in 1925.

During the 1930s the Delaunays concentrated on paintings, collaborating on vast murals for the Paris Exposition of 1937, and moving to the Auvergne in 1940. After Robert's death in 1941, Sonia lived with Hans and Sophie Arp and the Magnellis at Grasse and then at Toulouse. In 1953 she had her first solo exhibition since one which Uhde had arranged in 1916, and her works were then exhibited an over the world. During the 1970s many of her 1920s textiles were revived by major designers. She is the only woman to have had an exhibition at the Louvre in her own lifetime (1964).

-

And also...

Robert Delaunay, Joie de vivre (The Joy of Life), 1930 , oil on canvas, 200 x 228 cm, Georges Pompidou Center, Paris

Franti??ek Kupka, Study from Mechanistic Series, 1923-1926, gouache and pencil on paper, 28 x 28.2 cm, Tehran Museum of Contemporary Art, Iran

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    george grosz is a particular favorite, but i can get down w/ most expressionists...

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Kl??e

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    So many to name, so many to name, so I'll just say one: Sidney Goodman

Paging BATMON.

Massive co-sizzle.

• Paul Klee

Joseph Cornell

DeLoss McGraw

Sydney Nolan

Fritz Scholder

R.B. Kitaj