THIS RECORD RULES!

2»

Comments

• I think it was Hook-Up that threw up a You Tube version of Ramblin Gamblin Man and it absolutely smokes. Unfortunately I can't do it, but it's worth checking.

thanks mike, that is reallly thorough

i definitely ride for bob seger system (the blue record)
    never noticed cover girl was grabbing her tits and the cakes like that!!!

• Is it me or is the title track only coming thru one speaker, mostly?

i dont think its coming out of one speaker...but it sure dont sound like stereo. i hear no separation whatsoever...for a studio recording from the late sixties, it does sound kinda primitive (in a good way)

In a good way indeed. It almost sounds like youre listening to it thru some crappy old radio or something.

In other words,

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    its threads like this that get me pullin out old records to give them proper appretiation they deserve. i ride

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Is it me or is the title track only coming thru one speaker, mostly?

i dont think its coming out of one speaker...but it sure dont sound like stereo. i hear no separation whatsoever...for a studio recording from the late sixties, it does sound kinda primitive (in a good way)

In a good way indeed. It almost sounds like youre listening to it thru some crappy old radio or something.

In other words,

raw? no shit. check out those sloppy edits on "the last song (love needs to be loved)?"

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    why are his other capitol albums so scarce compared to RGM?

Probably because they totally bombed.

not in Detroit.

between '69 and '77, he may as well have been a one-hit wonder everywhere else (for "RGM", his only national hit up to then), but Detroit radio (both Top 40 AND album rock) kept playing his newest records like there was no tomorrow.

Well, elsewhere it's pretty hard to find Noah and and Brand New Morning and that shit. I assumed those albums went straight to the cut-out bin for the most part.

brand new morning has to be the tuffest. i see system and noah every few months, but never brand new morning. except for once, and i bought it!

not in Detroit.

between '69 and '77, he may as well have been a one-hit wonder everywhere else (for "RGM", his only national hit up to then), but Detroit radio (both Top 40 AND album rock) kept playing his newest records like there was no tomorrow.

Well, elsewhere it's pretty hard to find Noah and and Brand New Morning and that shit. I assumed those albums went straight to the cut-out bin for the most part.

brand new morning has to be the tuffest. i see system and noah every few months, but never brand new morning. except for once, and i bought it!

so whats it like?

i heard its supposed to be his mellow singer-songwriter LP

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

"the last song (love needs to be loved)?"

I know this can be said of a lot of songs and bands, but damn if this song isn't one of the main ingredients in The White Stripes soup.

And oh yea - double kick drums on The Tales of Lucy Blue - YEA!!

• Yea - It's called Dylan's Gospel by The Brothers and Sisters from 1969. It's quite nice and the stand-out is All Along the Watchtower.

I've heard this courtesy of Bassie and vouch for its excellence.

lucky boy.

Hey, I've actually still have an active link for this. I ripped it for my mp3 player after I picked it up a few months back.

http://www.divshare.com/download/360675-224

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Yea - It's called Dylan's Gospel by The Brothers and Sisters from 1969. It's quite nice and the stand-out is All Along the Watchtower.

I've heard this courtesy of Bassie and vouch for its excellence.

lucky boy.

Hey, I've actually still have an active link for this. I ripped it for my mp3 player after I picked it up a few months back.

You're !!!!!!!!

Thanks for that.

Nice one! Now I can listen to it at work! Thanks!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Nice one! Now I can listen to it at work! Thanks!

Thanks, indeed.

While we're on the subject of surprisingly good music, I've got to say that the bassline intro to Josh Rouse's song Snowy sounds like Tribe, Detroit, now. A ripoff, perhaps, but what a surprise. Then the voice comes in all prettywhite and, although not exactly murdering the song, reminds me that I'm listening to my girlfriend's music after Burning Spear has just finished in the rotation. I'm not recommending Josh Rouse, but do you hear what I'm saying?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

not in Detroit.

Noah and Brand New Morning are the only tough ones to find, the rest turn up on the regular for cheap...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

not in Detroit.

although in the '80s, capitol actually reissued some of the earlier, pre-'75 albums like RGM, Seven and others, but they havent yet made the transition to CD, which is probably why theyre so scarce now

they loved j.geils there, too... and KISS...

not in Detroit.

although in the '80s, capitol actually reissued some of the earlier, pre-'75 albums like RGM, Seven and others, but they havent yet made the transition to CD, which is probably why theyre so scarce now

they loved j.geils there, too... and KISS...

yeah, but Seger is FROM detroit...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Many thanks for making my afternoon!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Anyone jonesin' for some more Seger might want to check this. Both "Noah" and "Brand New Morning" are up there, and I think the links are still active as well.

• Hey, I've actually still have an active link for this. I ripped it for my mp3 player after I picked it up a few months back.

Many thanks for making my afternoon!

No problem. I'm just glad I have something to share. I'm practically allergic to spending more than $15 on a record, so I usually figure that what's killing me isn't news to the folks on here.

I don't think there's a record I've put on more since I bought it. 'The Times They Are A-Changing' is one of those tracks that instantly puts me in the best state of mind.

I don't think there's a record I've put on more since I bought it. 'The Times They Are A-Changing' is one of those tracks that instantly puts me in the best state of mind.

I cannot STAND the Dylan version of Lay Lady Lay - his voice in combination with the lyrics - shudder - but I love it on this record.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

I cannot STAND the Dylan version of Lay Lady Lay

damn, that's an enduring favorite for me. The whole Nashville Skyline album, actually, but that's one of the only one of his hits that I never tire of.