500 Gig external drive = 100 bucks

TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
wassup folks. Just picked this up myself so I figured Id spread the news to fellow Microwave or "mp3 diggers". Lacie 500 Gig external drive. 7200 rpm (big differene from the 5400 rpm model). Free shipping too! http://www.buy.com/prod/500gb-usb-2-0-7200-rpm-8mb-ext/q/loc/101/205728911.html Just installed logic 8 on my Macbook with all instruments and loops and instantly ate 45 gigs of space.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It doesn't have FireWire interface, though, which makes a world of difference for me.

• It doesn't have FireWire interface, though, which makes a world of difference for me.

I did notice that too. I have a maxtor that has both but needs external ac power.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I saw 1 TB drives (Western Digital) at Best Buy last week for $270. That's about what I paid for my 250 GB Lacie 2 years ago.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I just picked up a Seagate Free Agent 500GB for $13x.xx with free shipping from Amazon. It came in a few days and was a piece of cake to use. Got really good reviews. I finally backed up my music collection so if I lose my laptop and iPod, I won't be f**ked.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I got a Freeagent Pro for like $125. 500 Gb's. I like that it shuts down when you turn off the computer. I have a Seagate as well which has to be manually powered off.

Isn't Firewire obsolete already?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    PROTECT YOUR MP3S

I USUALLY RUN SCANDISK AND DEFRAG ON THEM

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    It doesn't have FireWire interface, though, which makes a world of difference for me.

USB 2.0 is solid enough.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

USB 2.0 is solid enough.

Yep. I just bought one.
    500GB for $100? Yes plaese.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I picked up one of these with a few Amazon gift certificates I had accumulated from holidays and whatnot. The Firewire 800 is blazing:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-External-Triple-Interface/dp/B000G2BGFK

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

USB 2.0 is solid enough.
    Not for me. A file that takes 60 seconds to transfer with USB 2.0 takes 5 seconds with FireWire. There's no way I'm waiting 12 times longer if I can pay a little more to not.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    PROTECT YOUR MP3S

Get two drives and RAID them, otherwise you're still risking it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Anyone with multiply windows computers in ur house?

Here is my tip for the day.

Look into "Window's Home Server"

It's the Fuckin' dawgs bullocks!

Where are the tech nerds???

Plus, u dudes need to step up and forget usb 2.0 & firewire.

estat is where it's at yo!

• PROTECT YOUR MP3S

Get two drives and RAID them, otherwise you're still risking it.

don't know how to do this. time to google. I'm always afraid that i'm gonna lose all my mp3. Lucky I still haven't sold all my wax!

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Just installed logic 8 on my Macbook with all instruments and loops and instantly ate 45 gigs of space.

Haha, good luck with the 38 gigs of gunshot, door slam, and miscellaneous foley noises...

• lacie is a really cheap brand and i know people who've had problems with their externals. i got a 500 gig maxtor for 110 bucks last week at best buy.

Ur not going to find the perfect hard drive. Im no expert on media storage but I really dont think one is different from the other. I work in technology and I do home visits from time to time or do favors for some of the traders that want there "itunes" backed up. I dont see a difference in brands from seagate, maxtor, lacie, or western digital.

• is it bus powered? I'm assuming not, but the tech specs aren't clear one way or the other

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I dont see a difference in brands from seagate, maxtor, lacie, or western digital.

I use to care about getting a 5 year warranty.

But now seagate owns maxtor & I usually only buy seagates.

Shit is getting CHEAP.

1TB (1000GB) SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200rpm 32MB
    $375 bucks
    Lawd have mercy...

I've been thinking about popping in a 250 gig 2.5" into my gurls mac book pro. For only $200 bucks.

Hard drive prices are really dropping in price.