Escape from Workatraz

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Office workers, what are your tricks for skipping out to dig? You know, ways to make it look like you are still at your desk, but gone for hours. So if you get checked you can just say you were taking a dump or meeting with a colleague on another floor.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    our lights turn off automatically after youve been out of your office for more than 20 minutes. Its like a robotic snitch.

Motion sensors. Get a small rotary desk fan.

Next.

• Options
    Can non-office workers get in this too?

When I worked for Verizon we once shut down a lane of traffic in a major intersection by opening up a manhole, three days before Christmas and right at lunchtime when traffic was at it's heaviest. We left three trucks there and dressed everything up to look like we were working. Then we strolled into Roosevelt Field Mall and went Christmas shopping for two hours.

I worked there for 11 years before leaving two weeks ago, and could write a loooong book on Escape From Workatraz.

• I'm broke and just got some hellacious bills, but I'm still about to do this today.

No subterfuge necessary though. I worked late three nights last week, so I'm just going to finish off the work I have by 1 or 2, say "you gonna need me this afternoon, boss?" and then split when he says "nah, get out of here."

If I'm going to sneak a two hour lunch or something, I just make sure I settle all the crap in my e-mail in the morning, so people aren't looking for me.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    We have a program called Meeting Maker where I can see when my boss is in meetings. If I want to stretch lunch or just head out, I make sure she's in meetings and leave my iTunes playing. Why would I have my music on if I'm not around?

• I dig on my lunch break and eat at my desk when I return. It works out pretty well. I have not found much worth writing home about in the past few weeks.

Can non-office workers get in this too?

When I worked for Verizon we once shut down a lane of traffic in a major intersection by opening up a manhole, three days before Christmas and right at lunchtime when traffic was at it's heaviest. We left three trucks there and dressed everything up to look like we were working. Then we strolled into Roosevelt Field Mall and went Christmas shopping for two hours.

I worked there for 11 years before leaving two weeks ago, and could write a loooong book on Escape From Workatraz.

Nice. I had one job that was on the same block as a movie theater. That was dangerous.

Here's a good one:

One of my co-workers keeps a briefcase full of fake papers in a file cabinet that he puts out on a table. That means he's "in the building". He calls me sometimes and asks me to put in out for him. The other day his boss was saying, "I know [censored] is here. His briefcase is on the table." LOL.

leave my iTunes playing. Why would I have my music on if I'm not around?

Yes.

Since we have this user=retarded level settings on our network, you can't turn off your screen saver, but fortunately leaving media player running keeps it from coming on.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    There's this amazing blues guitarist here in Houston that's a little on the crazy side. People pay him to come out and play and he'll do a short set, announce he has the runs, then split.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Haha!!!

Great thread Fatback

I'm kinda fucked (phucked?!?) when it comes to sneaking out. My Boss can eyeball me from his office.... yea I know quite a bummer. But I work at a company with 15 that can almost anyone can check whether you'Re at your place or not.

However situations like these force you to find new methods!

I apply for anything that includes driving somewhere, picking something up, or making an external visit. Sometimes I set doctors appointments very early when I know the record store closes at half past 7 and I'd normally get off at 6.

The best thing I came up with so far:

My Job is basicly being a Photoshop operator, making Banners for trade shows, ads whatever. So when I started the job I accepted all the conditions and said:
    I want to be able to take off a day now and then to continue working with my freelance clients...I feel far too guilty ( ) to just stay home and pretend I was freelancing, but I setup brief appointments with artists and photographers that last for 1 or 2 hrs, then go digging and enjoy the rest of the day

My biggest problem with the escape from workatraz thing is if I'm not there, and perhaps even for a good reason, some retarded coworker of mine tries to answer my clients calls and adjustment wishes and usually fucks everything up so I can spend the next morning in the office cleaning his/her mess up

More Workatraz stories, please! Sweens Verizon story had me rolling