PM from Taza One! Trying to cook up some beef?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
What's good, man? Hope all is well. I'm messaging because I know you used to live in the bay. Can you recommend some good seafood downtown (SF), as well as italian?
Ok, no real beef. Unless it's in the sauce. I posted it here since I figure other folks can chime in.I never really f---ed with the downtown SF seafood scene though I do really like Absinthe, this French bistro in Hayes Valley that has a solid oyster bar and a few seafood dishes but isn't a seafood restaurant per se. As for Italian though...one of my favorite spots was Spiazzo's[/i] in West Portal but that's nowhere near downtown. I tended to avoid eating in North Beach b/c of the traffic/parking but other folks can probably offer up some solid suggestions. I will plug some of my fave SF bakeries though: Tartine in the Mission and Arizmendi in the Sunset. So proper.

Comments

• You are dead to me. No, wait.....I mean, thank you.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    why you gotta call him out like that? damn, thats shAAAAAAAdy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Are you staying/working downtown? Is that why you're looking for places around there?

There's also the Zuni Cafe, which is just down Market St. and that's not a bad option for nuevo-California/French style cuisine (it's much better than my sad description may make it sound). ANd don't front on the Farmer's Market inside the Ferry Building at the end of Market. Great place to grab a quick lunch, especially if you take your meal out back, where you're looking at the East Bay, Bay Bridge and Treasure Island. The view alone enhances any eating experience.

• Yeah, we're staying downtown until tuesday. The car is parked in a cheap garage and I'm not trying to venture too far.

Anybody else going to see the Beatjunkies tonight?

• He PMed me, too.

For the last time: I do not want to buy any oranges!

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    He PMed me, too.

Ziiiiiinger!

• He PMed me, too.

$.24 a dozen, homie. You can resell em and double your money.

• Yeah, we're staying downtown until tuesday. The car is parked in a cheap garage and I'm not trying to venture too far.

Anybody else going to see the Beatjunkies tonight?

I started to get in line for this, then decided to take visiting friends up to twin peaks to see the fog, err, view.

Not seafood exactly but said friends and I went to Cha Cha Cha and got the grrrrruuubbin calimari, some mussels, plaintains, mushrooms and I think there was shrimp involved. And sangria. The seafood place they wanted to try (woodhouse fish co.) wasn't open on sundays, so I can't vouch, but if you're downtown it is within walking distance.

• Anybody else going to see the Beatjunkies tonight?

I did, it was cool. A LOT of early to late 90's new york-centric rap with some "indie classics" mixed in. I missed J-Rocc's opening funk set and left right when they started to play Frankie Beverley/Georgy Porgy type of selections (damn).

• We may have left around the same time.

BEAT JUNKIES

The Beat Junkies were on point but the crowd was

If I have to hear Shook Ones Pt. II being played to a crowd of head nodders in a dingy club I'm gonna lose it. I tried to dance but it wasn't that kind of party.

Last night on the other hand was for the grown and sexy.

/></a><br />Shortcut<br /><br /> <a href=http://www.tazacacao.com/wordpress/2007/10/14/shortcuts-b-day-bash-at-sky/Pics of Shortcuts B-Day Party at Sky

BTW, we settled on average Indian food since it was so late and we had the club to do.

Tomorrow (MON) is my girls b-day and we are going to eat all day!

• MAN!!! I only have a day and a half left here, this sucks. Too many places to eat and not enough meals.

It's been pretty cool coming to SF and getting hooked up on the guest list 2 nights in a row. The Bay will make you play.

Todays agenda, eat & sticker bomb.

• if you are down for a bus trip, take the 38 down Geary to Clement and eat at Burma Superstar. It's quite delicious and worth checking out.

I suggest the tea leaf salad, the walnut prawns, and anything else, maybe the samosa soup.

if you are down for a bus trip, take the 38 down Geary to Clement and eat at Burma Superstar. It's quite delicious and worth checking out.

I suggest the tea leaf salad, the walnut prawns, and anything else, maybe the samosa soup.

Personally, I always found Burma Superstar to be overrated and the food wasn't worth the extravagant wait that usually accompanied it, especially if Taza is treking out to the Richmond to have to peep it out.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    no one mentioned Bar Crudo (next to tunnel top) for that seafood steez?

I'm dying to go there (obviously haven't been yet), but it's not for those on a budget. Heard nothing but rave reviews about it though.

bar crudo

• if you are down for a bus trip, take the 38 down Geary to Clement and eat at Burma Superstar. It's quite delicious and worth checking out.

Personally, I always found Burma Superstar to be overrated and the food wasn't worth the extravagant wait that usually accompanied it, especially if Taza is treking out to the Richmond to have to peep it out.

this place was worth it 10 years ago. but they foofied it up and now theres a line of uppitywhite folks waiting for their tea leaf salads.

is the hukilau still there? fancy-ish hawaiian grindz with super hot wait staff.

but since u have a ladyfriend, and love the seafood, might i suggest kiss. its in japantown and only seats like 8 people.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/USbpXRK2pFey0V24QcgXsQ#hrid:3JN1tErI1wLT7IZOn4D3WA/query:sushi

• Absinthe, this French bistro in Hayes Valley

...and site of my drunken birthday stylings on Thurs night. it's on my very own block which is exactly how I wanted to spend my bday. bougie as fuck but plenty of room. liquor list like WHOAH. they have the equivalent of a wine sommelier but for the hard A. bourbon and branch eat your heart out.

• Personally, I always found Burma Superstar to be overrated and the food wasn't worth the extravagant wait

every person i've taken there has been amazed by the food. Is it the wait that puts you off? I got the hook-up, son.

• the food used to be kinda spicy. once they put in the silk plants and faux greek columns the flavors got bland.

Personally, I always found Burma Superstar to be overrated and the food wasn't worth the extravagant wait

every person i've taken there has been amazed by the food. Is it the wait that puts you off? I got the hook-up, son.

I just don't find the food that impressive. I mean, it's not "bad". But even if I didn't have to wait at all, I've never had anything there that made me think, "man, Burma Superstar is the bomb!" I just turned to ask wifey and she said the same thing: "yeah, the food is good but it's nothing special."

The wait is a HUGE turn-off. And there's no way in hell it's worth a bus trip on the Geary Muni line. If I LIVED in the Richmond and there was no wait, ok, sure. But coming from downtown? Fugg that!

• Personally, I always found Burma Superstar to be overrated and the food wasn't worth the extravagant wait

I just don't find the food that impressive. I mean, it's not "bad". But even if I didn't have to wait at all, I've never had anything there that made me think, "man, Burma Superstar is the bomb!" I just turned to ask wifey and she said the same thing: "yeah, the food is good but it's nothing special."

The wait is a HUGE turn-off. And there's no way in hell it's worth a bus trip on the Geary Muni line. If I LIVED in the Richmond and there was no wait, ok, sure. But coming from downtown? Fugg that!

YOU GUYS DON'T LIKE FOOD.

Hmmm...

Not so big on Burma Superstar: two Asian guys.

Big on Burma Superstar: non-Asian dood.

Real (racial card playing) headz can do the math.

• Hmmm...

Not so big on Burma Superstar: two Asian guys.

Big on Burma Superstar: non-Asian dood.

Real (racial card playing) headz can do the math.

You might be on to something, I've taken more non-asian friends than asians, but they all have been blown away. Does the out-of-town factor fall fit into the equation?

WHERE DO THE PACIFIC ISLANDERS FALL?

• YungPhon also:

- Swears that Golden Era doesn't taste like ass

- Likes string cheese

- Does not/can not cook

- Is a vegematarian

The prosecution rests.

• Why hasn't anyone mentionedSan Tung?

Burgers at Rosamunde on Tuesdays?

• Are you staying/working downtown? Is that why you're looking for places around there?

There's also the Zuni Cafe, which is just down Market St. and that's not a bad option for nuevo-California/French style cuisine (it's much better than my sad description may make it sound).

my girl works there...it's actually rated as top 50 in the nation...go figure...I'm told that the thing to order is the chicken (it takes an hour to cook)...but, it's a big hit...

whoever said Burma Superstar is over-rated...is trippin...and hasn't eaten the right shit...seriously...

also, another place to peep (doubt most in SF are up on it yet..)...is a place called Me-Kong (Ofarril and Larkin...my old haunts)..it's run by this fresh Tibetan buddhist...and has killer food, and amazing vegan options (try the vegan chicken satay or the pastor fried chicken)...dope shit..

if you are in the area of Ariz Mendi on Tuesday morning...they aren't open today...holler...I live right by there..

• YungPhon also:

- Likes string cheese

- Does not/can not cook

- Is a vegematarian

The prosecution rests.

I've also enjoyed the 2-3 times you've cooked for me

yeah

that

just

happend

• YungPhon also:

- Is a vegematarian

The prosecution rests.

if you like Golden Era (since most of you found that place through me...seriously! haha...I've put nancy's kid through the day care...)...then you should try this place Me-Kong...off the chain! (but, make sure you tell him you are vegan/vegetarian)

sadly, their food used to be really awesome! but this was back when it was frequented by locals and asians ONLY. and by locals i mean 2nd chinatown folks. i think around 99 or 2000, they redesigned the inside which used to have a trellis with fake plants and some really bad couch paintings of burmese buddhist temples and such. now its like halogen track lighting and muted nouveau riche inerior design. plus the food got really watered down. there was a javanese place up the street. not sure if its still there, but that quickly became the spot for micronesian digs. i think it was called javanese rice table. anyways, there's another less popular burmese joint in sf. its not as good as golden age superstar, but itll suffice. its in the TL but i cant remember which street. either post, bush, sutter, or the likes. one of them streets running e/w.

there is also golden triangle in whittier , ca. prolly one of the better secret spots in socal. me n the iron monkey sometimes grub here.

• I think y'all's insistence on refering to this country/cuisine as Burma/Burmese rather than Myanmar/Myanmarese evinces a startling lack of respect for the violent and repressive military junta in power there.

PS what is the deal with the Burmese Mountain Dog versus Bernese Mountain Dog . does the former even exist? is this a case of mispelling? are there shaggy dogs in the Southeast Asian hill country that happen to strikingly resemble the dogs found in Switzerland?

• well the place is called Burma Superstar. what should we call it, taco bell?