Let's Talk New Soul

oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I've been staying away from Hip-Hop lately and getting my grown man on. Here's a couple of my favorites; Feel free to add-onRaheem Devaughn- The Love Experience- Excellent debut. People compare him to D'angelo which is unfair and dangerous. His timbre is different than D, and the songwriting is better. Plus he has beat credibility by getting production from Kev Brown & Kenny Dope.Raphael Saadiq- Raphael Saadiq is Ray Ray- This is a great album, period. I can't really describe this album because Raphael has so many influences that it seems he doesn't fit any classification. Just good music.Van Hunt- S/T- This album was so criminally slept on that it's ridiculous. i suggest everyone get 2 copies of this and force someone to listen to this.Lizz Fields- By Day By Night- Great independent Soul project

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    You need to cop that L-Dula and the new soul gangbang mix CD. That joint is....

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i'm feeling the Venus Malone album a lot.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    "Lyfe", yall missin out.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Raheem Devaughn- The Love Experience- Excellent debut. People compare him to D'angelo which is unfair and dangerous. His timbre is different than D, and the songwriting is better. Plus he has beat credibility by getting production from Kev Brown & Kenny Dope.

KEV BROWN ?!! sounds awesome i must peep that.

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    "Lyfe", yall missin out.

Indeed. He's a thugged-out Sam Cooke.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't listen to much, and I am always a few years behind, but I like what I hear. D'angelo, Macy Gray, India.aire. They make me think soul is alive and well.

These people who are trying to be the next Al Green or Betty Wright, to recapture a sound from a past time, I don't care for much.

Dan

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

This is the only "new" soul album I have on my laptop apart from some Erykah. A student said I should rip it because he thought it was good, and a few of the tracks have actually grown on me.

I forgot 1

Rahsaan Patterson- After Hours

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm going to go out and buy a new soul lp. Please recommend one that is a good listen start to finish. The more organic the better. Does not have to be from this year.

Dan

Rapahel Saadiq- Instant Vintage

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    off the top of the dome pizzle:

avilla brothers
    Yam Who & Alison Crockett: You Are
    Plant Life (CRAZY BIG RECOMENDATION)
    New Faith Evans 12''
    That Marvin Gaye Motown Remix "let get it on" 12

• That Marvin Gaye Motown Remix "let get it on" 12 Gamm remix "I Want You"

I'm kind of down with that Alice Russell lp, Jill Scott, Alicia, some of John Legend, Raphael, Adriana Evans, Platinum Pied Pipers, Lizz Fields, etc.

Platinum Pied Pipers,

That album definetly has some heat. The "50 ways to leave your lover" cover is

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    You need to cop that L-Dula and the new soul gangbang mix CD. That joint is....

WORD I just spoke to dude he told me I can burn copies for whoever wants one just send me a PM with your address.... How about soulseek, well I guess CHAN you should put that on their? Just keep in mind them joints are from 2000-2003.... Now back to my bowl of PHO!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    how much i'd love to have some PHO right now.

i'd humbly recommend Adriana Evans debut on Loud.

also the Lucy Pearl album.

some D Angelo is always nice.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    hi ons.
    good to see you round.

peace,
    bmbch

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Dudley Perkins' A Li'l Light.

how much i'd love to have some PHO right now.

i'd humbly recommend Adriana Evans debut on Loud.

You cop the new one CD? There's also a 12'' single for "don't forgot about the love" pretty dope.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Must check for that Raheem DeVaughn. Sounds good. My favorites from the last few years:

Raphael Saadiq "Instant Vintage"
    Rahsaan Patterson "After Hours"
    Peven Everett "Studio Confessions"
    Jill Scott "Beautifully Human"
    old Sa-Ra mp3s
    old Dwele mp3s
    that Remy Shand joint

most recently this one has been in heavy rotation:

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I'm going to go out and buy a new soul lp. Please recommend one that is a good listen start to finish. The more organic the better. Does not have to be from this year.

Dan

If you haven't heard of him yet, make sure to check out Lewis Taylor:

(this right hurr is a new soul masterpiece!):melt::melt::melt::melt::melt:

Actually, his entire catalog is worth investigating:

SG