Underrated Drummers

2»

Comments

• Stanley Crouch.

hahahhaaha, nice one: his drumming is almost as bad as his writing.

how about andy newmark and joe chambers (although to be fair joe chambers like hal blaine, harvey mason, louis hayes, shelly manne and a grip of others in this thread get alot of deserved props)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

from the Wailers...

check out this cover of Lee Dorsey's "Ya Ya", werent too many rock drummers holdin it down like this in '64...dude sounds like Jaki Liezbeit on meth. Relentless.

a group original from the same LP

WHY NO s YET? this is on some serious shit for 1964. Frickin' impossible!!!!! are you serious this is 64?? jesus.

man. i am not over this yet. you just officially melted my mind. please confirm this is actually 1964 and not some wonderful dream. also please send me this album.

I'm not hearing the Jaki Liezbeit connection here. Sorry dude.

- spidey

well the connection wasnt 100% accurate but take the syncopated ride hits out and theres some similar snare work going on....

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Ira Gates

(if you have any singles on the One-Derful label out of Chicago, like say "Twine Time" by Alvin Cash & the Crawlers, "New Girl" by the Accents or "Got To Find A Way" by Otis Clay, it's likely Gates on drums...my man had more rolls than the corner bakery)

• from the Wailers...

check out this cover of Lee Dorsey's "Ya Ya", werent too many rock drummers holdin it down like this in '64...dude sounds like Jaki Liezbeit on meth. Relentless.

a group original from the same LP

WHY NO s YET? this is on some serious shit for 1964. Frickin' impossible!!!!! are you serious this is 64?? jesus.

man. i am not over this yet. you just officially melted my mind. please confirm this is actually 1964 and not some wonderful dream. also please send me this album.

I'm not hearing the Jaki Liezbeit connection here. Sorry dude.

- spidey

its the repetition, the dude just LAYS into that shit and doesnt let up...not saying there is some african-influnced poly rythmic shit going on a la "Vitamin C", just the relentless groove...odd for rock music in 1964.

Yes those tunes were recorded in 1964 and released in 1965

the LP "wailers everywhere" is pretty difficult to find, I lucked the fuck out at an antique mall in Terra Haute, IN a few eeks ago. Norton has re-issued a bunch of Wailers material, but not this stuff, in fact in the liner notes to a compilation of material from this era, they referred to this LP as "wimpy" and nothing of note! Norton can be dipshits about music from time to time.