the pyramids appreciation

macacamacaca 278 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
i grabbed the idris ackamoor reissue a while back, specifically for the pyramids tracks (some of which are unreleased)needless to say, theyre but i cant find specific tracklists for their 3 albums.Lalibela - 1972 King of Kings - 1973Birth/Speed/Merging - 1976dropping knowledge would be appreciated.

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    no knowledge to add, but I'm very curious about these records, I've had them on my list for quite some time.

Want to post some short reviews?

• I can provide a tracklisting when I'm back by my collection...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i've had all three and some point, and king of kings is the only one i kept. kind of regret trading the others away, but i'm hoping i'll come across them again in the future.

• I love Birth Speed Merging. King of Kings was way too free and noisy for me. Curious to hear the first one someday.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    if it means anything, here are the pyramid tracks
    from the idris ackamoor compilation.

The Pyramids - Land of Eternal Song Suite Part 3 [1972] (10:51)*
    The Pyramids - Lalibela [1973] (6:02)
    The Pyramids - Masenko Nights [1973] (3:00)
    The Pyramids - Ya A Ya A [1973] (6:19)
    The Pyramids - The River Ganges [1973] (11:06)*
    The Pyramids - Mohgo Naba [1974] (8:32)
    The Pyramids - Queen of the Spirits Part 3 [1974] (6:38)
    The Pyramids - Aomawa [1976] (5:36)
    The Pyramids - Birth/Speed/Merging [1976] (7:47)
    The Pyramids - Black Man of the Nile [1972] (18:39)*

* UNRELEASED

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    wiseguys appreciation - 2 pages (and counting)
    pyramids apprecitaion - 4 responses

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I found a copy of Lalibela a couple years ago in DC. Good record, but two guys I know both wanted it in bad way. Trade war broke out and next thing you know, one of them made an offer I couldn't refuse. Kinda miss it still.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

For what it's worth, I'm enjoying that track you dropped. Sounds much like I imagined it would -- in a pleasing way -- and whet my appetite to track down more.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I didn't respond, but that doesn't mean I'm not enlightened by this thread. I liked seeing the knowledge dropped, and I'll definitely keep an eye out for their stuff.

Prior to this, the only Pyramids I knew of were that interracial skinhead surf band who appeared in one or two of those Frankie-&-Annette beach-party movies around '64.
    I know I should post a photo, but the only one I found online isn't that good (and the African-American guitarist is still wearing his Beatle wig).

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    is this the same group?

• is this the same group?

I don't believe so...

also, I think that I have an extra copy of the Birth Speed Merging....if you are interested...pm me.

• is this the same group?

not certain if it is the same group but that President label has some fantastic tunes on it.

not certain if it is the same group but that President label has some fantastic tunes on it.

...including the Equals.

They also licensed quite a few American R&B releases, IIRC.

• not certain if it is the same group but that President label has some fantastic tunes on it.

...including the Equals.

ah yes, The Equals. "Softly softly" b/w Lonely Rita! great stuff! man, that label is so tough! Also loads of great Eddy Grant produced stuff as well.

...including the Equals.

ah yes, The Equals. "Softly softly" b/w Lonely Rita! great stuff! man, that label is so tough! Also loads of great Eddy Grant produced stuff as well.

President was briefly activated in the States as well, distributed by Laurie (home of the Chiffons and Dion & the Belmonts). At least two Equals LP's were released (although one of them, Unequalled, has the Laurie logo on the cover).

• Here you go! The complete (far as I know) pyramids discography. Now I see this tho, it strikes me as odd they started at 3093-3 instead of -1. Stranger things have happened, but perhaps there are some earlier recordings? (I haven't heard the unreleased tracks on the ackamoor compilation)

Other notes: originally from ohio, from "King of Kings" on, released (and based?) in SF. "Birth speed merging" is the easiest to find, lalibela the most difficult. Due to the appearance fo a lunchbox on the cover of "king of kings" I dub this genre "afro-jazz lunchbox" due to sheer midwest afro-centric-ness.

The Pyramids - Lalibela
    Pyramid Records #3093-3
    1. Lalibela 22:00
    2. Lalibela (cont.) 5:10
    3. Indigo 16:45

The Pyramids - King of Kings
    Pyramid Records #30934
    1. Mogho Nabi (king of kings) 8:35
    2. Queen of the spirits 13:30
    3. Nsorama (the stars) 18:00
    4. My Africa 3:35

The Pyramids - Birth Speed Merging
    1976 (recorded 1975)
    Pyramid records BB 30935
    1. Aomawa 5:29
    2. Birth/speed/merging 7:40
    3. Reaffirmation 7:33
    4. Jamaican Carnival 6:39
    5. Black man and woman of the nile 16:22

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    theres no "props" emoticon, but if there was, youd be getting 3.