Name some magazines worth subscibing to

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
The other thread reminded me that I've been meaning to subscribe to a few magazines so I'm not completely disconnected to the rest of the world, and so I've got some non-academic reading for the bus. Some favorites of mine right now:WaxPo (duh)Sound on Sound (best recording mag out there, pricey but a friend has the online password hookup)Colorlines (Great magazine on race and politics)The Economist (Gotta take it with a grain of salt, but they cover stories that other major news outlets don't)I generally despise:The New Yorker (aside from a few great writers)Wired (used to be great, now I can't stand it, thing is basically a book of advertisements for future products)Mad Magazine (I am yet to laugh at a single joke they have made)And when I was a kid I used to read:HighlightsZoobooksGamePro (they broke down every fatality for Mortal Kombat)Cricket (a friend of mine writes for them now)

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Harpers

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    108 (if you're into baseball)

• FREE subscription if you're in the US.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    For movies the only one you need is sight and sound.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Colors magazine

"COLORS is a quarterly magazine that talks to young people all around the world. Established in 1991, from an idea of Luciano Benetton and Oliviero Toscani, under the direction of Tibor Kalman, with the premise that diversity is positive but that all cultures have equal value.

Pictures are, above all else, COLORS' expressive medium: a method that is universal and reaches the greatest number of people with a strong, immediate impact.

Over the years COLORS has become a unique point of reference in the global publishing world. It has stirred public attention to topics and themes originating in areas of the world that other publications seldom write about with depth and freshness."

This is a cool magazine I subscribe to. If you haven't checked one out, and you're into thinking, then check it out. This quarters issue is a concept issue of a theoretical country called V??rland, in a future where there was a global warming crisis.

- spidey

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    That schnipper zine

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Colors magazine

"COLORS is a quarterly magazine that talks to young people all around the world. Established in 1991, from an idea of Luciano Benetton and Oliviero Toscani, under the direction of Tibor Kalman, with the premise that diversity is positive but that all cultures have equal value.

Pictures are, above all else, COLORS' expressive medium: a method that is universal and reaches the greatest number of people with a strong, immediate impact.

Over the years COLORS has become a unique point of reference in the global publishing world. It has stirred public attention to topics and themes originating in areas of the world that other publications seldom write about with depth and freshness."

This is a cool magazine I subscribe to. If you haven't checked one out, and you're into thinking, then check it out. This quarters issue is a concept issue of a theoretical country called V??rland, in a future where there was a global warming crisis.

- spidey

Get uovo.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I always get a kick out of Juxtapoz Art & Culture Magazine. Pretty varied underground art rag. I also read XXL every month although sometimes I'm not certain why.

• Harpers

Word. One of the best mags out there.

Also, why the New Yorker hate?

I heartily cosign a Schnipper subscription.

• it smells like npr in here

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Also, why the New Yorker hate?

I grew up with it being worshiped by parents and teachers, and yet every time I pick it up I end up reading a piece that I really can't stand. That said most times that people recommend a specific article, I really enjoy it. Maybe I should give it another try.

Forgot about Harper's, I should get on that one.

• The real reason to get harpers is that a subscription is like $18, and a single issue is like $6. Do the math

I have a subscription to the New Yorker. I try to read it cover to cover. Thankfully, I spend a lot of time on the toilet.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Thankfully, I spend a lot of time on the toilet.

• Hey look, my Jewish forefathers should not be held accountable for the overly productive gastrointestinal tract they blessed me with.

Hey look, my Jewish forefathers should not be held accountable for the overly productive gastrointestinal tract they blessed me with.

KEE TOV SECRETS REVEALED.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I always discover something interesting that I previously had little awareness of in the new yorker. The subscription pays for itself right there, even if I have to pay a very much inflated rate compared to Americans, tear tear.

• If you like the Economist you might also get down with the Guardian Weekly - its a newspaper, but has a broad range of articles covering a lot of things happening in Europe, Africa and South America which you might not otherwise be up on.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've had a subscription to harpers since I was a kid. It's the A.D.D. guide to liberal politics, literature, and art.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

FREE subscription if you're in the US.

Very good reads.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If you're into 60's rock, UGLY THINGS is pretty essential.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Colors magazine

to the 3rd

Also, I'll toss my hat in for Raw Vision.

FREE subscription if you're in the US.

Very good reads.

WHOA. Had no idea this existed, and for free, this looks great. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i like
    wax poe
    tape op
    remix
    music tech
    future music
    sos
    recording
    mass appeal
    wall street journal
    xl8r is ehh
    yrb once and a while

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Ive only ever subscribed to one magazine and it went under and i didn't get my full subscription. Any way it was "grandslam" Ive often considered subscribing to "wax poetics".

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    For movies the only one you need is sight and sound.

Absolutely. It's the only magazine I don't balk at the cover price as I know it'll get read from start to finish. I've slacked recently but have a few boxes with all the issues from around 95-05. My lady keeps on trying to get me to throw them out but they're so well written I can't bring myself to do it.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

And Vogue Hommes International.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I'm in a big shelter mag zone:

Dwell
    Metropolitan Home
    Desert Living
    Sunset
    Modernism
    Domino (again)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    guitar techniques

Really? I hate guitar magazines. I do occassionally read traps magazine.

- spidey