Possible customs issues (post office related)

BusCrates78BusCrates78 159 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Has anyone here ever had issues shipping things to Italy? I sold this expensive disco 12" about a month ago and the buyer has not yet received it, and my money is "on hold" in my paypal account. I still have the receipt for it, but apparently it's not doing me much justice, since I sent it 'First Class International' (which was $12) and nothing sent that way is trackable.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    How much value did you write on the package? You should have the customs label # on the receipt, ask the guy to go ask the Italian post office or clearing house if they can find it based on the customs #. It helps to keep an amicable relationship with the customers while these situations occur.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Sup Bus?? Did you insure the item??

• I'm pretty sure I put no more than $20 for the value, I usually mark $5 or $10. I wanted to get it insured, but they don't have that coverage for items shipped airmail letter post for some reason. I hit the buyer with the customs form no., so hopefully he'll find it there. Losing this cake would be nagl x 30000.

You can register first class airmail packages, but you cannot insure them. You have to use priority international to insure packages.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I highly doubt they'll be able to find it...Italy is notoriously sketchy.

While Italian mail is not so good, I gave a guy the registered # and he found it in a clearing house. It's worth a try with the customs form, who knows.

• I just got an email from an Italian customer saying they haven't received an LP sent out over a month ago. It was a $135 record...

• my boy said he sent some 45s there once and dude didn't get them for 2 months! Record I sold was $210..I really hope The Non's scenario plays out in this situation.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I put no more than $20 for the value, I usually mark $5 or $10. I wanted to get it insured, but they don't have that coverage for items shipped airmail letter post for some reason. I hit the buyer with the customs form no., so hopefully he'll find it there. Losing this cake would be nagl x 30000.

Damn I learned th hard way that you never ever ever ever ever send an item over seaes without insuring it. I make it a requirement with any transaction over $50..... I got burned for some serious money sending an item uninsured because the buyer didnt pay for insurance....hope this works out fot you..another note Bus I am planning on hitting up the Pittsburgh Record Show later this month. Whats the deal?? I know you will be there right?

• Yo bus! How you been Man?

That situation sounds similar to something I mailed to Greece a couple years back. took about two months but it eventually just showed up at the dudes house.

• I'm pretty sure I put no more than $20 for the value, I usually mark $5 or $10. I wanted to get it insured, but they don't have that coverage for items shipped airmail letter post for some reason. I hit the buyer with the customs form no., so hopefully he'll find it there. Losing this cake would be nagl x 30000.

Damn I learned th hard way that you never ever ever ever ever send an item over seaes without insuring it. I make it a requirement with any transaction over $50..... I got burned for some serious money sending an item uninsured because the buyer didnt pay for insurance....hope this works out fot you..another note Bus I am planning on hitting up the Pittsburgh Record Show later this month. Whats the deal?? I know you will be there right?

Malls said it's on Oct. 21. I might set up a table there to get rid of some stuff, gotta see how much it is.