Dirty Projectors - "Rise Above"

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Has anyone else got this yet?The idea: A band attempts to rewrite the entire Black Flag album, Damaged, from memory, treating it as their own. rape_donkeys sent it to me and I listened to it before I realized I had seen them before. I think their music is great. When I saw them open for my friends band I was less excited. They seemed on the cusp of feigned detachment, which bothered me. I could see how the vibrato might distract some, but it doesn't bother me as much as when other singers do it (Morrissey said of Christina Aguilera, "someone tell the poor child she doesn't need to chew on every word."). I hadn't listened to Black Flag in years, so I drug that out again to compare the two. I appreciate Black Flag's dedication and sincerity more than their music. I appreciate Dirty Projector's music more than their scene.Fugly dudes don't bother me muchWhere do you stand?More info here

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I thought this was a post about my acclaimed NBA blog.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    oh yeah Rape Donks sent me this too... i need to give it another spin

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    E - Please make space in your Inbox!!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    E - Please make space in your Inbox!!

Okay, go ahead and send the photo of the jeans now.

oh yeah Rape Donks sent me this too... i need to give it another spin

Perhaps rape_donkeys is one of those new marketing placement people who stands on street corners saying to no one and everyone, "Wow! This Vitamin Water tastes really great."

I feel so used.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I've heard this album. The project is fascinating. However, I was never into Black Flag that much, so as a listener I'm basically hearing this as a bunch of new songs, and as such I far prefer the last Dirty Projectors album (the Don Henley rock opera one, I'm blanking on the title).

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Where do you stand?
    More info here

they played when i was out in ny. i had no idea about them. i ran into an old friend from sf at a shoe store in the east village and he was hyping them up big time. it sounded intriguing and i love black flag. then he let me listen in the headphones. Damaged is one of my favorite records and i'm not sure i like the idea of art-schooling-up such a visceral and assaultive album. some of their versions sounded like a novelty lounge cover, like that one Ben Folds Five cover of "Bitches Ain't Shit". that kinda stuff makes me cringe a little. I heard "Police Story" on the Dirty Projectors album and it sounded like someone making fun of the Smiths, really mopey. i couldn't get into this at all.