We need a Black Pope

DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central

Francis Arinze (Nigeria, born 11/1/32). Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship. Cardinal Arinze is at the top of most Vatican-watchers' short list, and the prospect of a "black Pope" has captivated the media. Arinze was born into the Ibo tribe of Nigeria -- his father was a chief -- and converted to Catholicism at age nine. Arinze became a priest when he was 26, and an archbishop at 34. Arinze's strengths include his experience with Protestants and other religions. Protestants and Catholics share much of southern Nigeria, allowing him to hone his ecumenism; in the north of the country, Arinze has developed a good relationship with the Muslim majority. With this background, Pope John Paul II called him to Rome to oversee the Vatican's inter-religious dialogue (with Muslims, Buddhists, etc).

Sayin.

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    THIS WILL NOT[/b] HAPPEN.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    No we don't.

Next pope will most likely be an Italian.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    No we don't.

Yes we do. Fuck another guido.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Dude from Brazil is a favorite. He's got my bet.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This dude seems kind of old, though--really, the move would be a 25 year old black pope that's gonna be around for the next half-century.

Phill's right, though--it's not gonna happen regardless.

Personally, I want to see a Pope that uses the Catholic church's reach and influence to advocate/distribute birth control. No offense, but I have long felt that the Catholic church's stance on that issue is responsible for a large amount of the human suffering in the world.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This dude seems kind of old, though--really, the move would be a 25 year old black pope that's gonna be around for the next half-century.

Phill's right, though--it's not gonna happen regardless.

Personally, I want to see a Pope that uses the Catholic church's reach and influence to advocate/distribute birth control. No offense, but I have long felt that the Catholic church's stance on that issue is responsible for a large amount of the human suffering in the world.

Seriously.

Word is that the Vatican is not interested in having a Pope stick around so long.

At least condoms for Christ's sake.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I got money on the Mexican dude.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Doesn't he have to take a vow of celibacy or something?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Doesn't he have to take a vow of celibacy or something?

never that son, I heard he's "down for the brown"

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I wonder if the Pope was ACTUALLY celibate. he seemed like a somewhat sane dude,so you know he was prolly gettin his on the weekends.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I wonder if the Pope was ACTUALLY celibate. he seemed like a somewhat sane dude,so you know he was prolly gettin his on the weekends.

http://www.byroncrawford.com/2005/04/was_pope_jpii_t.html

• His nephew, Nikki Arinze, went to my middle school in Nashville, then went on to kinda blow up on the Wake Forest b-ball scene, and now apparently plays pro ball for a team in London.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    Shit dude-there is a parade going past my store right now. Looks like polish catholics in traditional gear singing a really pretty hymn. They been representing hard since the passing. he was their pope!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Wholly unimportant. If Catholics prefer to go on being led around by uniracial bigoted fruitcakes, then so be it.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    Shit dude-there is a parade going past my store right now. Looks like polish catholics in traditional gear singing a really pretty hymn. They been representing hard since the passing. he was their pope!

I just stepped out there for a square and got unexpectedly moved. It's a somber scene.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Good sentiment - but the problem with Arinze is that if the last Pope didn't seem so cool with gays and allowing any sort of contraception - Arinze is that times five. On these social issues Arinze is one of the most 'conservative' cardinals out there.

A couple days back a friend was telling me about Arinze's talk at Georgetown, which had American Jesuit professors leaving and complaining about his appearance.

My (non)vote is on the Brazilian - but really - I'm predicting an Italian.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Pope Dogg

I am going to hell.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Pope Dogg

I am going to hell.

The pope can eat me. The end.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Good sentiment - but the problem with Arinze is that if the last Pope didn't seem so cool with gays and allowing any sort of contraception - Arinze is that times five. On these social issues Arinze is one of the most 'conservative' cardinals out there.

Something like all but 3 or 4 of the cardinals who'll be electing the next pope where appointed by John Paul II, so the odds of sweeping progression through the church are highly unlikely. It's looking like the next pope will have all of the conversativism and a sliver of the charisma of JPII. Unless there's some cardinals that are keeping their more liberal views on the downlow.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

There will never be a Black pope. I quote my former pastor, Dr. George W. Goodman, of People's Baptist Church in Akron, OH who stated "There is no more racist time in the world than on Sunday morning."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Unless there's some cardinals that are keeping their more liberal views on the downlow.

AY-mutherfuckin-O!!![/b]

• Pope Victor I was the first Black Pope from 189 to 199 A.D. There were 2 other Black Popes after him.

Bill Clinton is said to have been the first Black President on the U.S.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Whoever said that is wrong.

I think it was Toni Morrison

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Whoever said that is Toni Morrison was wrong.

I think it was Toni Morrison

I don't think that's exactly what she said; the essay was called "Clinton as Black President" or something like that, and the basic idea was that there were elements of the way in which he was being persecuted that were familiar to black people.