question for people who live in england

Egbert_SouseEgbert_Souse 920 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
how long does it take to get to newcastle and back from london? I might be heading to london and want to make a pilgramige.

Comments

• It takes about 4 hours each way if you take a train...

4 hours!?!?! damn.... thats a lot... I just wanted to make a day trip out of it... On the map it looked like it was only about 200 miles (max) away. Like from here to L.A.

4 hours!?!?! damn.... thats a lot... I just wanted to make a day trip out of it... On the map it looked like it was only about 200 miles (max) away. Like from here to L.A.

It's closer to 300 miles, it's one of the furthest places you can get from London in England haha. Out of interest, why Newcastle?

• Its my favorite beer, and I wanted to see where it was born. and maybe get a t-shirt or something.

• It's 3 hours 15 mins from Kings Cross to Newcastle Central Station, if your heading here for a drink you'd be better off grabbing a hotel as the bars come to life at night especially Fri/Sat.

Just make sure you visit the Bigg Market...

• Well I just read that the newcastle brewery is no longer in newcastle. it moved across the river. what a shaft. I can't beleive it.

Can anybody recomend a "quaint english village" thats not far from london. Sorry for using the phrase "quaint english village". Someplace historic with, uh, townsfolk in hats or something.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Well I just read that the newcastle brewery is no longer in newcastle. it moved across the river. what a shaft. I can't beleive it.

Can anybody recomend a "quaint english village" thats not far from london. Sorry for using the phrase "quaint english village". Someplace historic with, uh, townsfolk in hats or something.

Oxford or Cambridge are both a short train ride from central London if you fancy something culturally enriching, and are close enough for a day trip at any rate. Canterbury's got similar historic value, but is slightly further out of London.

• Just make sure you visit the Bigg Market

....and don't forget to grab a bite to eat whilst you're there

(oh I wish I hadn't been born here )

• Well I just read that the newcastle brewery is no longer in newcastle. it moved across the river. what a shaft. I can't beleive it.

Oxford or Cambridge are both a short train ride from central London if you fancy something culturally enriching, and are close enough for a day trip at any rate. Canterbury's got similar historic value, but is slightly further out of London.

I live in Oxford for half the year so if you do end up going there and need any recommendations then holla... I'm not sure it's quaint and villagey enough for what you're after though, but there are a bunch of cool buildings and nice places to look at and you can go punting down the river and check out some of the tiny and tucked away pubs that some great writers from the past used to go to which i guess is pretty quaint i guess.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Well I just read that the newcastle brewery is no longer in newcastle. it moved across the river. what a shaft. I can't beleive it.

I lived in Oxford for 7 years and quaint only applies to about 30% of it. Cambridge is nicer, more rural, but neither are very village like. Egbert, if you are in London on Nov 5th, go to Lewis, East Sussex, especially if you love drinking, fireworks AND HATE CATHOLICS!!! joking - mostly

>>5th of November is used by the towns Bonfire societies to commerate the foiling of the gunpowder plot to blow up Parliament and the earlier burning at the stake of 15 protestant martyrs by burning effigies of the Pope and anyone who else who happens to be annoying them at the time. This is very un-pc but there's no actual anti-catholic hatred in the town ,it's just a tradition that died out in most other places. To be honest most other Sussex towns still have torchlight processions and burn effigies of Guy Fawkes ,but one of the smaller villages got into trouble last year after burning effigies of a family of gypsies in a caravan.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Coventry is waaaaay up your alley, hahahaha

• I want to go where the signs say "ye olde".

I want to go where the signs say "ye olde".

if that's the case go to Nottingham, TONS of ye olde crap there.

just make sure you avoid cities like Wolverhampton, 2 streets and a bowling alley does not a city make.

• just make sure you avoid cities like Wolverhampton, 2 streets and a bowling alley does not a city make.

wolverhampton is a pretty sweet name though...!

just make sure you avoid cities like Wolverhampton, 2 streets and a bowling alley does not a city make.

yeah I was totally stoked to hit that city to perform and (insert mouth fart sound)

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I want to go where the signs say "ye olde".

This is the only link you need

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml?n=ye+olde

but one of the smaller villages got into trouble last year after burning effigies of a family of gypsies in a caravan.

that's not funny but holy shit do you gotta watch out for those little fuckers in London. Don't leave ANYTHING of value sitting on the table in front of you.

I saw some dude in Canary Wharf trying to be all helpful to a 9 year old with a map, as soon as the kid held the map up in front of his face another even younger kid prolly like 7 just snuck up and snatched dudes cel phone off his table without the guy even noticing.

• showing 1 to 20 of 312

hahahahah... I wonder though... how many of those places are really olde? and how olde does a place have to be before its "olde" in its name. And when they first opened were they called "Ye newe"?

I was just talking to this sailor who's from england and he said i should go to scotland. he said if i walk in to a pub talking "american" people will buy me beers all night. Is that true? I always just assume people hate americans no matter where you go.

showing 1 to 20 of 312

hahahahah... I wonder though... how many of those places are really olde? and how olde does a place have to be before its "olde" in its name. And when they first opened were they called "Ye newe"?

I was just talking to this sailor who's from england and he said i should go to scotland. he said if i walk in to a pub talking "american" people will buy me beers all night. Is that true? I always just assume people hate americans no matter where you go.

if you have time you SERIOUSLY should go to Edinburgh, that city is amazing. Defintely one of the most beautiful cities I've set foot in.

• showing 1 to 20 of 312

if you have time you SERIOUSLY should go to Edinburgh, that city is amazing. Defintely one of the most beautiful cities I've set foot in.

yeah, thats the city he said to go to. well, did they buy you beers all night long?

showing 1 to 20 of 312

I was only there during the day for a music school performance thing, we had to jam to the next city right afterwards, I was bummed. I'm definitely going back though, SOON.

yeah, thats the city he said to go to. well, did they buy you beers all night long?

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

aka Wolftown!
    http://www.wolftownrecordings.com/default.asp
    ahhahahahah!

• if your heading here for a drink you'd be better off grabbing a hotel as the bars come to life at night especially Fri/Sat.

don't they just:

http://www.desimalai.co.uk/crap/newcastle.pps

I bet the train from the smoke to Tyneside is going to cost a whack... Someone better warn him

Bath will out-quaint all of the towns listed above. The place is full of twats with cameras (getting in my way) you'd love it. Plus its just over an hour from Paddington station

To be honest most other Sussex towns still have torchlight processions and burn effigies of Guy Fawkes, but one of the smaller villages got into trouble last year after burning effigies of a family of gypsies in a caravan.

hahaha thats typical... as if no-one was going to get offended

Its "Lewes" BTW, don't go sending him to the wrong town!

and don't be knocking the Wolver, half my fam are from there via the Ukraine and Italy!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Stratford-Upon-Avon. Home of one William Shakespeare. And a very nice town too.

• Good call. I used to work near there... Don't even consider going there on a summer bank holiday weekend though (which won't be soon anyway)

• I might be there in January or February. I heard it will be cold as a bitch there. There might even be snow. I may really need to purshase a heavy coat.

• I love the footie highlights when its the middle of winter and the Toon Army (Newcastle Utd fans) are all in the stands with their tops off

• I might be there in January or February. I heard it will be cold as a bitch there. There might even be snow. I may really need to purshase a heavy coat.

The snow generally doesn't really settle unless your in Scotland