First Illegal Immigrant Day

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
From his Diary.
At dawn I ordered the ship's boat and the caravels' boats to be got ready and went NNE along the island to see what there was on the other side, the eastern side, and also to see the villages; and I saw two or three, and all the people came to the shore calling us and giving thanks to God. Some brought us water; others, other things to eat; others, when they saw that I was not intending to land, jumped into the sea and swam out and we understood them to be asking us if we had come from heaven.39 One old man got into the boat40 and all the others, men and women, called in loud voices "Come and see the men who have come from heaven; bring them something to eat and drink". Many came, and many women, each with something and giving thanks to God, throwing themselves on the ground and lifting their hands to the sky and then calling out to us to go ashore, but I was fearful of a great reef of rock which surrounds the whole of that island. Inside it is deep and there is a harbour for as many ships as there are in the whole of christendom, and the entrance to it is very narrow. It is true that inside this ribbon there are some shoals, but the sea is as still as a well. I made an effort to see all this this morning so that I would be able to give a full account of it to Your Highnesses and inform you also where a fortress could be built. I saw a piece of land shaped like an island although it is not one, on which there were six houses; this could be cut off and made into an island in two days,41 except that I do not see it as necessary because these people are unfamiliar with weapons, as Your Highnesses will see from seven42 of them whom I have had captured to take with me to learn our language before returning. Alternatively they can all be taken to Castile when Your Highnesses wish or they can be held captive on the island, because with fifty men one could keep them all in subjection and make them do whatever one might wish. Later, next to the said islet, there are the most beautiful groves of trees I have seen, and so green, and with leaves like those in Castile in April and May, and much water. I looked around the whole of that harbour and then went back to the flagship and set sail and saw so many islands that I could not decide which I would go to first. The men whom I had taken told me in sign language that there were so many of them that they were without number and they mentioned by name more than a hundred. So I looked for the biggest and decided to make for that, which I am doing; it must 5 leagues from this island of San Salvador, and of the others, some are nearer, some further away. They are all very flat, without mountains and very fertile and all populated, and they make war with each other, although these are very simple people and very attractive.
He didn't discover America. He found some islands he thought was India.When the local people welcomed him with open arms, all he could think about was how to conquer and exploit them. I do not approve of my country recognizing him as a hero and a discoverer when all he really was was an opportunistic moron.And I'm mad because the post office is closed. I had a few LPs to ship.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    GOD BLESS AMERICA. LOVE IT OR DIE.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    fuck columbus

Everyone should read this book:

He was responsible for some horrific things like chopping people's hands and noses off, lighting rooms full of people on fire and setting wild animals loose on people, just to name a few.
    Fuck that dude in a major way (and Rey, I know you're joking, but you should know he had Black/Caribbean slaves as well).

• I saw on my calendar that it was columbus day today and mentioned it to a few people, nobody had a clue. That made me feel good. Hopefully, America will eventually forget about this "holiday" and start observing something like Cesar Chavez day more nationally. I'm with that.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I just heard a radio broadcast of a lecture that Russell Means gave on Columbus and Andy Rooney. Very very very powerful. I was hoping to find a transcript or download, but they want you to pay for them.

Here is a description and info for buying:
    http://www.alternativeradio.org/programs/MEAR003.shtml

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    fuck columbus & ThanksTaking too, all a bunch of bullshit

turkey sammiches are the bomb yo

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Hopefully, America will eventually forget about this "holiday" and start observing something like Cesar Chavez day more nationally. I'm with that.

They are trying to rename a street for Cesar Chavez here in ptown. People are freaking out. Seems that the name Interstate Ave is part of our heritage.