producer/musician-strut: breaks or drum machine?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
When making a beat or a song do you use a drum machine, breaks, or live instrumentation? I do all three depending on the track. Prefer to lay a foundation though with a break then add one shot hits from machines like 808s or lindrum libraries. I also if im feeling motivated bust out the cheap kit and layer.

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I hate drum machines but I like the SPECTRALIS "groovebox"

• i usually chop up the break and then make my own individual drums from that and either layer them over break with a little filtering or make my own break using the drums i chopped.
    i use 808 kicks and claps to beef up stuff here and there as well.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    i usually chop up the break and then make my own individual drums from that and either layer them over break with a little filtering or make my own break using the drums i chopped.
    i use 808 kicks and claps to beef up stuff here and there as well.

• I do it all.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I usually rock the breaks, or chop up drum sounds/percusssion from breaks and program my beats. Rarely, I'll rock some pre-set shit for an R&B track. Even then, I'll mix in some sampled drum sounds/claps/etc. to augment the preset sounds. I prefer organic sounding drums since I'm a drummer.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I enjoy filtering the bejesus out of a break, laying that down and then placing one hit break/drum machine sounds over it. Used at the right volume you don't really hear the break, you just "sense" it. Dnb producers use the trick well.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    i, like most of these strutters, enjoy the all of the above answer. each method gives a certain type of sound, so it would depend on the sample/composition of the piece.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    depends on what im going for, but i love gritty breaks more than pretty much anything.

something very very natural-sounding about some older 60s/70s drum machines though. might as well just be some external percussion instrument. whatever sly used is a Frickin' beautiful sounding machine.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Frickin'

EWWWWWW....maybe i should stop swearing on here if its gonna turn into that...

• When making a beat or a song do you use a drum machine, breaks, or live instrumentation?

I do all three depending on the track. Prefer to lay a foundation though with a break then add one shot hits from machines like 808s or lindrum libraries. I also if im feeling motivated bust out the cheap kit and layer.
    u can hook up thA 808 to tha turntable and record tha braek onto it that way? or how do u grab tha braek.. ive been playin in a band for awile and i need to start makin beats to widen the horizons of this band

• Frickin'

EWWWWWW....maybe i should stop swearing on here if its gonna turn into that...
    That happened to me earlier. I actually asked my self, did I Frickin' type Frickin'?

Shit!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i usually prefer to start tracks with a drum machine... then i play my drum kit ontop of it. I really don't like working with pre-recorded breaks / loops.

• i usually prefer to start tracks with a drum machine... then i play my drum kit ontop of it. I really don't like working with pre-recorded breaks / loops.

BAN

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    hehehe...i dont make hip hop either

call me