King James Version - First Time We Met LP

motorcityfunkmotorcityfunk 128 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I was reading this old post about the King James Version record "First Time We Met" and was still a little clueless as to why so much for this record: http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=883558 I know the record is big in Japan but is it really due to a sample? Does anybody know the name of the group or song that sampled it? I've never had one but it seems that ABC/Peacock tiles should not be that rare.MCF

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    its funny how this record al of a sudden seemed to be crazy in demand. About a year or so ago no one seemed to ever speak on this, than all opf a sudden its some hot $100+ must have album.

I'd like a copy but I don't think the price equals the quality. I'm cool with the mp3's and a hope of finding it for $20 or less

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    its funny how this record al of a sudden seemed to be crazy in demand. About a year or so ago no one seemed to ever speak on this, than all opf a sudden its some hot $100+ must have album.

The LP is nothing better then average....I checked my copy out thoroughly before letting it go, just in case I was missing anything.

Nope - just average....the $600 it made on ebay was astounding.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The LP is nothing better then average....I checked my copy out thoroughly before letting it go, just in case I was missing anything.

I've got a 45 or two from the LP. It's good, but not mind-blowing. If someone could post the LP, I'd appreciate it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I wonder how many times I've passed this up in the last 30 years. I think of King James Version as a loungey white soft rock xian group. Is this a different King James that is Black gospel? Or is this loungeywhitesoftrockxiangroup with a few funky cuts because they were trying to be a discoeexiangroupin1978?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Is this a different King James that is Black gospel? Or is this loungeywhitesoftrockxiangroup with a few funky cuts because they were trying to be a discoeexiangroupin1978?

this is a black group on ABC/ Peacock from either '73 or '74.

The cover has a white border whith a picture of the group Afro's and all in the center. looks funky, and would probably grab your attention

Is this a different King James that is Black gospel? Or is this loungeywhitesoftrockxiangroup with a few funky cuts because they were trying to be a discoeexiangroupin1978?

this is a black group on ABC/ Peacock from either '73 or '74.

The cover has a white border whith a picture of the group Afro's and all in the center. looks funky, and would probably grab your attention

My data base says I have had King James Version Jazz Feelings on Tell. I think that was a jazz trio from Santa Fe. I'm sure there is a White Xian KJV as well. Your right, I've been picking up gospel lps all my life and it sounds like something I would pick up.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There is a group with the same name that has two or three other albums from the mid-80s. Highly unspectacular.

Like this one. And this one.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Looks too good-bad to actually be good-bad.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    the track list aint that bad

What???s A Bossa Nove

Slippin??? Into Darkness

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Time and Place

Smokey Joe???s Caf??

Messy Pickle

Mother Freedom

Song For My Father

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

What???s A Bossa Nove

Slippin??? Into Darkness

Time and Place

Smokey Joe???s Caf??

Messy Pickle

Mother Freedom

Song For My Father

Have you heard it?

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    i'm more intrigued by this:

huh?

is this the result of poptart confusion?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I've got a 45 or two from the LP. It's good, but not mind-blowing. If someone could post the LP, I'd appreciate it.

The MP3s were posted over at Waxidermy awhile ago, but the link is dead now. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm pretty sure the zip file is on my computer at work. If so, I'll get it up for you tomorrow.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Jeez. I've seen that record cheap locally and didn't find it essential at all. Grip n' flip regret.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

I was reading this old post about the King James Version record "First Time We Met" and was still a little clueless as to why so much for this record:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=883558

I know the record is big in Japan but is it really due to a sample? Does anybody know the name of the group or song that sampled it? I've never had one but it seems that ABC/Peacock tiles should not be that rare.

MCF

hey **ron,

hollr at Asaf if you want to know about the Japanese sample connection - pretty sure he told me the name of the group but I promptly forgot it.

I like the first track - nice & Mayfieldesque - smoove guitar driving it - reminds me of Sisters Love on Mowest.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The MP3s were posted over at Waxidermy awhile ago, but the link is dead now. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm pretty sure have the zip file is on my computer at work. If so, I'll get it up for you tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

huh?

Can't get the link; Is that the Harry James & His Big Band LP? Yeah, I'd say so (featuring Les DeMerle!!!).

• I was reading this old post about the King James Version record "First Time We Met" and was still a little clueless as to why so much for this record:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=883558

I know the record is big in Japan but is it really due to a sample? Does anybody know the name of the group or song that sampled it? I've never had one but it seems that ABC/Peacock tiles should not be that rare.

MCF

hey **ron,

hollr at Asaf if you want to know about the Japanese sample connection - pretty sure he told me the name of the group but I promptly forgot it.

I like the first track - nice & Mayfieldesque - smoove guitar driving it - reminds me of Sisters Love on Mowest.

Thanks, will do.

MCF

Seen this many times. This is what I thought yall were talking about.

huh?

Audiophiles paying for the recording process while ignoring the music. Not rare not good. I never sell Shefields for that kind of money cause I don't want anything to do with 'philes.

The MP3s were posted over at Waxidermy awhile ago, but the link is dead now. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm pretty sure the zip file is on my computer at work. If so, I'll get it up for you tomorrow.

Never seen it.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

What???s A Bossa Nove

Slippin??? Into Darkness

Time and Place

Smokey Joe???s Caf??

Messy Pickle

Mother Freedom

Song For My Father

Have you heard it?

slippin into darkness and mother freedom is way too fonky.

and it is good-bad in a good-bad way. nice drumwork on almost all tracks.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

huh?

Audiophiles paying for the recording process while ignoring the music. Not rare not good. I never sell Shefields for that kind of money cause I don't want anything to do with 'philes.

Biggest condition snobs ever.

• This is a great record, which is pretty hard to find - I found one in 2003 and have been looking for a spare since. Gloster (sp?) Williams is behind it and like his other material there are some real quality tunes there. "Don't Have To Worry" (I think that's the name, I gave my copy to a friend a while back) in particular is a favorite of mine. Beautiful, uplifting soul.

I think people would concentrate on the music a bit more if there weren't this slightly insane price attached to it. Like always, people's determination to proclaim themselves too cool for an overpriced or overhyped record wins out over the actual content of it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think people would concentrate on the music a bit more if there weren't this slightly insane price attached to it. Like always, people's determination to proclaim themselves too cool for an overpriced or overhyped record wins out over the actual content of it.

or maybe people just don't think its all that good.

One mans treasure is another man's potential Ebay windfall

• I really don't think, if this was a $40 record, anyone would be saying it's "not that good". Especially considering some of the stuff that gets called good around here.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    This is a great record, which is pretty hard to find - I found one in 2003 and have been looking for a spare since. Gloster (sp?) Williams is behind it and like his other material there are some real quality tunes there. "Don't Have To Worry" (I think that's the name, I gave my copy to a friend a while back) in particular is a favorite of mine. Beautiful, uplifting soul.

Sorry Johnny, I disagree with ya slightly, my friend.....yes it's a Gloster Williams LP and it's clear the fellow is talented, as well as blind. But I really don't see this LP as 'beautiful, uplifting soul' - it's fine, it's OK and it's soul - it's not poor by any stretch, but it's not what I would call great. Price tagger relaetd or whatever. 'Don't have time to worry' is probably my track of choice from the set too, but give me 'No cross, no crown' by him over this any day of the week.

Or check Nat Townsley Jnr's 'Sunshine on my shoulders' for some real uplifting soul touched with gospel....cheapo good stuff

• I have Gloster's LP on Gospel Roots and prefer it - but I felt a need to stick up for this because it's really *not* mediocre, at least not in my mind. Just as good as the Townsley LP and others on the label. I really can't understand the price but I'll stand up for the quality of the music.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I have Gloster's LP on Gospel Roots and prefer it - but I felt a need to stick up for this because it's really *not* mediocre, at least not in my mind. Just as good as the Townsley LP and others on the label. I really can't understand the price but I'll stand up for the quality of the music.

Yeah, I'll agree it's slightly above mediocre - I'd gladly pay the $7 my copy cost me.....I do think there's much better examples of Glosters work around, though. And like you say the price is totally mystifying, which goes with the flow of the thread.

Have you checked the 'No cross....' cut from his Master Control 'Praying spirit' LP on Douglass, mate?