um, i just randomly met...

missruckusmissruckus 49 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
...mulatu astatke's nephew on the subway in toronto. !!!

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    dont know who that is but toronto subway is my favorite part of the work day

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    who cares

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    ...mulatu astatke's nephew on the subway in toronto. !!!
    and what happened?

• well, i was excited cuz mulatu astatke is one of my favourites.

i met the nephew guy cuz i almost tripped him on the subway.. which led to us having a conversation.. which led to me randomly finding out he's m.a.'s nephew.

• dont know who that is but toronto subway is my favorite part of the work day

i normally hate riding the subway (used to the convenience of my bike, but i had a flat tire today, hence the subway) but i like the random people you end up having conversations with on there sometimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatu_Astatke

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    thats the guy who did the Mulatu of Ethiopia record right ?

suppose to be a rare record...

thats funny though, out in Asia i don't think people appreciate random conversations with people on the a train or subway transit.

especially in Tokyo, or even Hong Kong...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    How do you know he was his relative & that you weren't just being hit on? If you looked right, I'd be like, "Yeah, I'm Mugatu's cousin." Whatever it takes.

• "Yeah, I'm Mugatu's cousin."

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    How do you know he was his relative & that you weren't just being hit on? If you looked right, I'd be like, "Yeah, I'm Mugatu's cousin." Whatever it takes.

LOL! You are comedy HAZ.

• yeah, actually i sensed i was getting hit on (even though i looked really horrible.. was coming back from a taiko practice so had on my sweats, unkempt hair in ponytail, etc.) so i don't know for sure if i believe him, but it's nicer to believe him than not, and allow myself to think i met a blood relative of someone i consider a legend.

• yeah, that's the guy. that record was reissued, but i imagine all his original stuff is super rare.

people in toronto don't often appreciate random people talking to them either. everyone here is a big snob or thinks everyone is out to get them. i'm trying to be more open to being friendly to strangers cuz it's nice to connect with people in unfriendly toronto. in southeast asia though, people are friendly and talk to each other (vietnam, thailand, etc.).

where in asia do you live? i'm gonna be in vietnam, china and HK in about a month!

• yeah, actually i sensed i was getting hit on (even though i looked really horrible.. was coming back from a taiko practice so had on my sweats, unkempt hair in ponytail, etc.) so i don't know for sure if i believe him, but it's nicer to believe him than not, and allow myself to think i met a blood relative of someone i consider a legend.

pics or your a soft narcissist

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    (even though i looked really horrible.. was coming back from a taiko practice so had on my sweats, unkempt hair in ponytail, etc.)

Women always seem to think they look terrible like this,
    yet it tends to actually be an extremely attractive look.

I ain't mad at unkempt.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

taiko

I like my girls with a boom[/b]

• haha.. the funny thing is i told a friend about this subway meeting and he said that apparently, mulatu astatke was looking at all the pretty girls while in town for the redbull academy thang.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Are there pretty girls in toronto lookin' for thang?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    is this a "celeb" sighting thread?

last week the rock was in the chair next to me while i was gettin my hair cut
    hes a laid back dude

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "Yeah, I'm Muglatu's cousin."

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Amazing.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Game. Set. Match.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

people in toronto don't often appreciate random people talking to them either. everyone here is a big snob or thinks everyone is out to get them. i'm trying to be more open to being friendly to strangers cuz it's nice to connect with people in unfriendly toronto.

Dude, it's not that bad here.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    In MTL, Toronto people have a rep for being cold, but, I gotta say, folks I've met from there, like the people from the board, have been nothing but class & very friendly.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

people in toronto don't often appreciate random people talking to them either. everyone here is a big snob or thinks everyone is out to get them. i'm trying to be more open to being friendly to strangers cuz it's nice to connect with people in unfriendly toronto.

There is no percentage in being friendly. I like unfriendly places.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

There is no percentage in being friendly. I like unfriendly places.

Can't say the same. It's friendly and patient folks who help when I get lost in other cities where I don't speak the language and it took dozens of friendly folks in the Southern states to help us find record stores and decent spots on the beach to swim and good places to eat. And you know, it's nice when you can chat with firendly strangers in a club or at a show that you happen to go to on your own.

Sheeeeeeeit - friendly Strutters have come through with record store suggestions, records I'm looking for at good prices, books to read, offers of places to stay, lovely gifts, warm hospitality...on and on.

• no, it's not THAt bad.. but compared to a lot of other places i've been to in the world, torontonians can still learn quite a bit about being friendly

(and this from someone who grew up in TO and love this city..)

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    This morning I saw Kim Daugaard - the bassist on Shubidua's Rund Funk - working at The School of Dentistry here in Copenhagen

Could you please tell him I need another copy of the 12 inch? Thanks a bunch.

That Muglatu pic makes me want to learn photoshop, btw.