CPU Fan? (High-Tech Related)

Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I've got a Compaq Presario 2100 notebook, and the fan on this joint bothers me... I want my baby to whisper softly like one of those Apple G4 Powerbook jump-offs.

If I add more RAM will that help? Can I change the actual fan itself? Any computer savvy SoulStruters feel free to drop some knowledge!

Comments

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Adding more RAM will not change the fan speed thus making your fan noise. Fans usually operate at threshold temperatures, so when things start to get hot, they kick it into high gear. If you have something blocking the vent where hot air comes out of, unblock it. That may help because if it is blocked, its creating more heat and the computer then tells the fan to spin faster causing more noise.

Changing the fan can be a very tricky and maybe impossible task for a notebook. I know some laptops have specific built in fans on the CPU to minimize space. For your laptop, you may be able to put a different fan on there but it also involves taking your latop apart which could lead to a huge mistake.

I would say the best thing to do is make sure you do not block the air flow that vents the hot air out of your laptop. Your fan may also be dirty from collected dust, so get a can of compressed air and shoot that dust out. The other thing, which is risky, would be going into your BIOS settings and changing that threshold temperature to a higher number. Its all dependent though if you laptop is fan is controlled by temperature. Most tend to be but there are some older ones where they run constantly. Also increasing the temperature would mean you are at risk for burning everything up since its not being allowed to cool like usual. Cooling is very important when it comes to computers and often goes overlooked.

You may want to take it to a computer store to have them check it out if you have the loot.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    the fan is just to cool down the hot CPU - adding more ram won't make it more or less hot. Some fans are noisier than others. It is possible to change fans, but that's for the super-geeky, and I don't think even they would try it on a laptop.

sorry.