Which Curtis Mayfield am I missing?

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The demo material is sprinkled in with CD reissues. Here's the track list for S/T:

1. (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go

The thought of hearing this stripped down to voice and guitar (w/drums & bass) is blowing my mind.

Makes me wonder what There's Nothing Wrong With You Girl would sound like with the full blown production of (DW) ITHBWAGTG.

i neeeed 2 heer this!!

Uh, guys - there's no demo of "Hell Below" on that CD.
    The CD tracklist is the regular album until track 8
    and bonus tracks from 9 on ... there are 2 instro backing
    tracks of "hell below" but the demos are "Ghetto Child" (AKA
    "Little Child Running Wild) and "Readings in Astrology" (which
    was recorded by Jesse Anderson for the Curtis-run Thomas label)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There's also the promo LP "rapping", interviews with music snippets. I love that record. If you're down with the cheap UK CD reissues, you can get The Right Combination and Rapping together for one low price. Check Dusty Groove.

I want someone to do just what Luck has done with his 45 catalog, including those Okeh sides where he produced/wrote songs. When it comes to Mayfield, I want to be a completist.

Mighty mighty,
    JRoot

Oops. I forgot about "Rapping."

J (and others)-
    Mayfield wrote, arranged, and/or produced so many of these OKeh sides (starting in 1963, when he joined the newly installed Carl Davis at the label as an Associate Producer) or directly influenced so many of the session players at the label that you'd basically have to collect the whole OKeh catalogue from 63 to early 66, when Curtis started up the Mayfield and Windy-C labels. Curtis left in early-to-mid 66, or around the time Davis had a running-in with the head of Epic Records, who was assigned OKeh as a subsidiary after the Columbia/Epic branching-off.

As Robert Pruter would tell it in Chicago Soul, the city's distinctively smooth R&B sound is largely due to Mayfield and Davis. Additionally, Curtis Mayfield, Jerry Butler, Major Lance (who would later bring in the Artistics), Otis Leavill, and Billy Butler (Jerry's brother) and the Chanters all grew up together in Cabrini-Green and knew each other as neighbors before they were big cats in the music world.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Never Say You Can't Survive, 1977

Not to be slept on.

most underated record of all time!!!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    J (and others)-
    Mayfield wrote, arranged, and/or produced so many of these OKeh sides (starting in 1963, when he joined the newly installed Carl Davis at the label as an Associate Producer) or directly influenced so many of the session players at the label that you'd basically have to collect the whole OKeh catalogue from 63 to early 66, when Curtis started up the Mayfield and Windy-C labels. Curtis left in early-to-mid 66, or around the time Davis had a running-in with the head of Epic Records, who was assigned OKeh as a subsidiary after the Columbia/Epic branching-off.

word...this is a good place to start.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    the Something To Believe in LP from 1980 that features the modern track "Trippin Out" which is utterly fantastic.

on Trippin Out. Absolutely gorgeous song.

• The Right Combination (with Linda Clifford) (1980)

"Ain??t No Love Lost" is such an amazing track. Really stands out too considering the rest of the material on the LP is rather

- J

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Never Say You Can't Survive, 1977

Not to be slept on.

most underated record of all time!!!

Opening track ("Show Me Love") is some classic mellow Chicago soul. Definitely one of my favorite Mayfield tracks.

• this is a 3cd box set and the first cd is all the 17 demos of curtis, all unreleased. they formed a series of promo publishing 7" e.p.'s around 1970 before his debut lp on curtom. these have been discussed on here a while back.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

this is a 3cd box set and the first cd is all the 17 demos of curtis, all unreleased. they formed a series of promo publishing 7" e.p.'s around 1970 before his debut lp on curtom. these have been discussed on here a while back.
    This looks nice. Where can I purchase?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

The Right Combination (with Linda Clifford) (1980)

"Ain??t No Love Lost" is such an amazing track. Really stands out too considering the rest of the material on the LP is rather

This version is cool, but its actually a lesser redo of a track Curtis wrote/produced for Patti Jo released as a 45 in the mid-70s.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Give, Get, Take and Have (1976)

this is when things start heading downhill IMO. Is anything after this essential, or even good?

This album was his attempt at entering a the disco market and, yes, it's not that good. The year after this came out he made this

which is amazingly underated. There is also the Something To Believe in LP from 1980 that features the modern track "Trippin Out" which is utterly fantastic.

Short Eyes (as mentioned in the above post) is wonderful as well I am not too familiar with the other post '76 vinyl releases.

thanks for the recommendation, I gripped this yesterday and it indeed is great.