Recent Reissues Worth Getting

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Deloris Is Back With Jerome & His Band (D Ealy)/Ghetto (Victor Green)

Holy Shit! Super hot on both sides with SStrutter connection.

• A few recent things for me....

Library
    KPM The Big Beat
    KPM The Big Beat Vol 2
    KPM Afro Rock

Billy Nicholls - Would You Believe (classic unreleased UK Pet Sounds influenced LP)
    Del Shannon - Home & Away (another unreleased Pet Sounds sounding project feat. some of the personnel and tracks on the Billy Nicholls) (CD only unfortunately)
    The Zombies - Into The Afterlife (CD only again but unreleased tracks and alt. versions)
    ...and the previously mentioned East Of Underground.

• Khan Jamal- Drum dance to the motherland

• funny as I was walking in to the "big" CD/Record store in town to get this this evening(this thing is already out of print and we cant get it at our shop), some dude had parked their Lexus SUV thingy across two spots, one of the spots being an handicapped spot...this shit irks me, the Frickin' arrogance of it...I usually do something that will annoy the shit outta the driver. I was trying to think of what I was going to do as I went to pick up the record. Then I saw who's car it was...it was 8-Ball's....good thing I didnt do anything, I prolly would have had his "posse" kicking ma head in....

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Oh Schitt!! It's Danno!!!!!!

• A few recent things for me....

Billy Nicholls - Would You Believe (classic unreleased UK Pet Sounds influenced LP)

Who re-reissued this? I've had a reish for years.

• Something that's crazy rare on vinyl.

Well with all this huff'n'puff lately about what constitutes a "baller" record, I don't know if this

qualifies, but nevertheless it's a great album and a quality reish. Came out in february, but I didn't get it until this summer.

I was sweating the price tag when I bought it (I think $25.00ish) but damn, this album hasn't left the turntable since I brought it home.

• Gregory Isaacs "Soon Forward" is a pretty common record I thought? So is Black Ivory?

Cosign EoA, really looking forward to Pieces Of Peace.

• This too...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Gregory Isaacs "Soon Forward" is a pretty common record I thought? So is Black Ivory?

Yeah I was kinda surprised to see those listed too... I wouldn't call the BI common around these parts but not something that would take any real money to acquire...

• Gregory Isaacs "Soon Forward" is a pretty common record I thought? So is Black Ivory?

Yeah I was kinda surprised to see those listed too... I wouldn't call the BI common around these parts but not something that would take any real money to acquire...

Well right, I mean I sell the Isaacs LP for $15-25, the Black Ivory for $30-40, but neither are really rare enough to require a reissue?? Jamaican records don't turn up elsewhere like they do out here though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Soon Forward's on Virgin though, that stuff is everywhere

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Gregory Isaacs "Soon Forward" is a pretty common record I thought? So is Black Ivory?

Well right, I mean I sell the Isaacs LP for $15-25, the Black Ivory for $30-40, but neither are really rare enough to require a reissue??

Rarity is NOT the point with reissues...it's just so the record is there if you need it. And you won't have to pay collector prices to get at it.

(1) I'd rather pay less than $20 for a reasonably well-done reissue than $30 and up for the OG...I mean, you say you sell Black Ivory for $30-40, on a label which has been defunct for years, by a marginal group that had mild success but never really saw their name in lights, and then wonder with a straight face why this record needs to be reissued?

(2) Even if the records are findable, they're still out of print. At least if the CD shop doesn't have the Black Ivory on hand, in many cases they'll special order it for you if you're hard-up. But if it's an out of print record, and there's only two used record shops in town and neither one has it, then you're up shit's creek.

I love original pressings too, but...

• I hear you - and I think the Black Ivory material on Today is great. My collector side still tells me that I'd rather pony up $30 for an original (and truthfully, originals fly online cheaper than that) than $15 for a reissue. It's once the record gets into the $50+ range that I start to consider the price.

• What I don't get is why there's deluxe reissues of shit like Les McCann and Eddie Harris at Montreux. Nearly impossible to move a clean original for $1 so who is going to come along and drop $18 for a 180 gram pressing?

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    I hear you - and I think the Black Ivory material on Today is great. My collector side still tells me that I'd rather pony up $30 for an original (and truthfully, originals fly online cheaper than that) than $15 for a reissue. It's once the record gets into the $50+ range that I start to consider the price.

i feel ya. i tried looking for the LP (in reasonably good condition) for awhile with little success... only could find 45's here and there in crap ass conditions. bought the greatest hits CD and everything. but still had an itch to get it on vinyl even if it was reissued... for that "comfort factor."

• What I don't get is why there's deluxe reissues of shit like Les McCann and Eddie Harris at Montreux. Nearly impossible to move a clean original for $1 so who is going to come along and drop $18 for a 180 gram pressing?

what is even stranger is $25 reissues of shit like AC/DC "Back in Black"...the 5th largest selling album of all time, it sold over 21 million copies...seems like there is an original copy out there for anyone who wants it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What I don't get is why there's deluxe reissues of shit like Les McCann and Eddie Harris at Montreux. Nearly impossible to move a clean original for $1 so who is going to come along and drop $18 for a 180 gram pressing?

what is even stranger is $25 reissues of shit like AC/DC "Back in Black"...the 5th largest selling album of all time, it sold over 21 million copies...seems like there is an original copy out there for anyone who wants it.

now, THAT I agree is ridiculous

why reissue what is still available?

granted, it hasnt been in print on vinyl[/b] for a good 15 yrs or so but even still...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    What I don't get is why there's deluxe reissues of shit like Les McCann and Eddie Harris at Montreux. Nearly impossible to move a clean original for $1 so who is going to come along and drop $18 for a 180 gram pressing?

PLAESE TO NOT FORGET AUDIOPHILE SHUT-INS.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

The Numero group has done it again, just got this cd in the mail..

• I've been thinking about getting:

Are they worth picking up?

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Anyone know the deal with this one? Apparently being reissued again in September according to Dustygroove. I was pricing older reissues and they are hittin for like 40$. Seems a bit steep:

• I've been thinking about getting:

Are they worth picking up?
    Anyone?

• ...and what's this one sound like?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    ...and what's this one sound like?

well worth picking up.

• ...and what's this one sound like?

well worth picking up.
    Got this today - huge co-sign. The sound quality is phenomenal too.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Pieces of Piece sounds like a sureshot. Definetely getting that.

This deserves a mention too:

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

...worth picking up?

I just got this today and will digest it at work tomorrow.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    ^^^

cool, I'm curious about that one as well.