Recent Reissues Worth Getting

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I recently got this one:Which is a 2CD set with a bunch of bonus material from the session. Good sound quality too. Anyone recently buy/hear of any recent reissues that are worth getting? Something that's crazy rare on vinyl, or something that has unreleased/bonus material that's worth buying?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    East of Underground

• Got it.

• East of Underground
    waer myghte one obtain thissZ???

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Something that's crazy rare on vinyl.

Well with all this huff'n'puff lately about what constitutes a "baller" record, I don't know if this

qualifies, but nevertheless it's a great album and a quality reish. Came out in february, but I didn't get it until this summer. The most recent one I bought was East Of Underground.

Art Yard in the UK did that Disco 3000, right? I bought their "Sleeping Beauty" reissue and was very pleased with it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    East of Underground
    waer myghte one obtain thissZ???
    You can get it straight from wax poetic's website if you want to surrender your vital body organs in exchange for their extravagant postage rates or you can roll the dice & take a chance on dusty groove actually having it in stock. I balked at the wax poetics postage so I ordered from dusty groove only to get an email saying that they didn't actually have it in stock, so I went back to wax poetics, paid the $23 postage on the $17 LP only to get an email from dusty groove a couple hours later saying they actually did have it in stock, make up your minds DG. Sometimes it sucks having to mail order stuff from so far away

• holmeslice, what a shitter
    at least the NZ dollar is high!

here's my suggestion, some seriously heavy grooves on pressure sounds ..

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Did anyone pick up that Lee Moses reissue? Isnt there bonus tracks on there or something?

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Paint a Lady

• far fuckin out, and no risk of the unpredictable Indian "plays very fine" grade showing up in your mailbox...

• cosign on the East of Underground.

My tip is the Japanese Kiddus I reish lp - silly rare roots partially produced @ the black ark.

Did anyone pick up that Lee Moses reissue? Isnt there bonus tracks on there or something?

I did - its a double lp, with the first disc being the album and the second all (as far as i know) of his other 45s. Cop it!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

It compiles a lot of Lee Moses songs from his Musicor days and other labels in addition to the original Maple album.

Worth picking up, definitely.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's not technically a reissue since the album was never released, but I highly reccommend picking up Pieces of Peace, the latest Cali-Tex release. The man Dante coordinated the project along with help from Rob Sevier of Numero and DJ Shadow.

I'm paraphrasing here from Rob's extensive liner notes, but: Direct from the master tapes, the album was cut in the early 70s in Chicago by a group of musicians who had all worked with Syl Johnson and had toured extensively as their own group, the Pieces of Peace. They were all into the heavy funk sound, but spent time backing up soul vocalists as well. If you've seen Keepintime or Brazilintime, Derf Reklaw was one of the members of the Pieces of Peace.

The result is truly unique - when I played it for a few friends who I used to play music with, they flipped out at how great and different the horn arrangements are. The project has been a long time coming, and you should all cop the limited, paste-on-slick vinyl. The CD has an extra alternate take as well though.

It's not technically a reissue since the album was never released, but I highly reccommend picking up Pieces of Peace, the latest Cali-Tex release. The man Dante coordinated the project along with help from Rob Sevier of Numero and DJ Shadow.

This is out now?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

This is out now?

CD is available to buy at Shadow's online store, I think CD and Vinyl hits middle of the month. It's been out digitally for a week or two. IMO since it's tape --> vinyl, cop the wax. You'll have a brand new OG of a record that was recorded 30+ years ago.

Oh yeah and Strutter DCastillo helped on the design as well. It looks great.

yeah, I've heard it whispered on the wind for quite a while now. looking forward to getting a copy.

• holmeslice, what a shitter
    at least the NZ dollar is high!

here's my suggestion, some seriously heavy grooves on pressure sounds ..

I am convinced that we are in the midst of or at the tail end of a golden era of reggae reissues.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    i copped this reissue a few months ago Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket other than that nothing's really surfaced that i'm aware of

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

I am convinced that we are in the midst of or at the tail end of a golden era of reggae reissues.

i would have to agree... i also got this reissue last month.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• I am convinced that we are in the midst of or at the tail end of a golden era of reggae reissues.

i would have to agree... i also got this reissue last month.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

"down the line" is my fave reggae tune

• I am convinced that we are in the midst of or at the tail end of a golden era of reggae reissues.

• East of Underground
    You can get it straight from wax poetic's website if you want to surrender your vital body organs in exchange for their extravagant postage rates or you can roll the dice & take a chance on dusty groove actually having it in stock. I balked at the wax poetics postage so I ordered from dusty groove only to get an email saying that they didn't actually have it in stock, so I went back to wax poetics, paid the $23 postage on the $17 LP only to get an email from dusty groove a couple hours later saying they actually did have it in stock, make up your minds DG. Sometimes it sucks having to mail order stuff from so far away

HEY HOLMES,
    there are record stores closer to ho(l)mes....
    NORTHSIDE RECORDS in Australia could help you out....also there are a few cool stores in NZ that should stock it. I know I got it on the rack ( at northside)...
    C

• I dig the stuff coming out on Finders Keepers

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Almost everything of Soundway has been blowing my mind. Are we counting comps? Or just reissues of original product?

• Almost everything of Soundway has been blowing my mind. Are we counting comps? Or just reissues of original product?

I think comps should get included here, especially with reggae as the OG's were often released on 45 or 12 inch only

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

3 3 3
    amazing album

• Psyched to play this soon.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

It compiles a lot of Lee Moses songs from his Musicor days and other labels in addition to the original Maple album.

Worth picking up, definitely.

Most definitely. It's basically everything Lee Moses officially released under his own name, to my knowledge.

There are times when Lee's ragged voice is the only thing holding some of these songs together, like the last binding on an old, rusted, packed-to-the-sky thrift-store pickup truck. But you'd never want it any other way. Untouchable. Unbelievable. Worth the high import price ($20) to acquire one legally.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    East of Underground

HEY HOLMES,
    there are record stores closer to ho(l)mes....
    NORTHSIDE RECORDS in Australia could help you out....also there are a few cool stores in NZ that should stock it. I know I got it on the rack ( at northside)...
    C
    Hey Chris, damn, I should think next time before I order stuff quickly. Haven't seen it anywhere in Auckland yet. How's melbourne?

• whats a good mulatu reissue>>??

appaerenlty L'Arome reissued it? watts a good album 2 start with . i have Afro Latin Soul , pretty much all of it is essential i assume, but waht should i get next?

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts

yes yes l'arome is total killer