Is your campus overcrowded? (NRR)

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Cause ours is. UC Santa Cruz over-enrolled by 1,500 students this year, and the place is a zoo. They had to kick all 3rd and 4th years off campus and make some dorms into quadruples. But really, the biggest impact is felt in the off-campus rent market, where students and other renters are being price gouged because of a housing shortage. I have friends who live a 20 minute drive from campus. Getting on the bus is a mess too - I feel bad for these 60 year old professors who have to stand, crammed like sardines, because an inconsiderate 18 year old doesn't understand that they should give up their seat. I'm about to start calling them out on it.I know there are a grip of students/university employees/faculty here. Anyone else having this frustration? Any freshmen asking dumb questions in your class O-Dub?P.S. - The Black Student Union meeting is going down the hall from where I'm working tonight, and it's refreshing to actually see Black students on campus. I finally, after two years have two Black professors, and it's great to be able to discuss race and racism with a teacher who understands and isn't scared of the issue.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The over-enrollment issue usually happens by accident - enrollment estimates are basically an educated guess and some years, they guess wrong in terms of who actually will accept.

No stupid freshmen questions. I don't have a lot of freshmen for one and in general, my students strike me as fairly bright even though their writing skills, for the most part, are abysmal.

Cause ours is. UC Santa Cruz over-enrolled by 1,500 students this year, and the place is a zoo. They had to kick all 3rd and 4th years off campus and make some dorms into quadruples. But really, the biggest impact is felt in the off-campus rent market, where students and other renters are being price gouged because of a housing shortage. I have friends who live a 20 minute drive from campus. Getting on the bus is a mess too - I feel bad for these 60 year old professors who have to stand, crammed like sardines, because an inconsiderate 18 year old doesn't understand that they should give up their seat. I'm about to start calling them out on it.

I know there are a grip of students/university employees/faculty here. Anyone else having this frustration? Any freshmen asking dumb questions in your class O-Dub?

P.S. - The Black Student Union meeting is going down the hall from where I'm working tonight, and it's refreshing to actually see Black students on campus. I finally, after two years have two Black professors, and it's great to be able to discuss race and racism with a teacher who understands and isn't scared of the issue.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    The over-enrollment issue usually happens by accident - enrollment estimates are basically an educated guess and some years, they guess wrong in terms of who actually will accept.

No stupid freshmen questions. I don't have a lot of freshmen for one and in general, my students strike me as fairly bright even though their writing skills, for the most part, are abysmal.

Cause ours is. UC Santa Cruz over-enrolled by 1,500 students this year, and the place is a zoo. They had to kick all 3rd and 4th years off campus and make some dorms into quadruples. But really, the biggest impact is felt in the off-campus rent market, where students and other renters are being price gouged because of a housing shortage. I have friends who live a 20 minute drive from campus. Getting on the bus is a mess too - I feel bad for these 60 year old professors who have to stand, crammed like sardines, because an inconsiderate 18 year old doesn't understand that they should give up their seat. I'm about to start calling them out on it.

I know there are a grip of students/university employees/faculty here. Anyone else having this frustration? Any freshmen asking dumb questions in your class O-Dub?

P.S. - The Black Student Union meeting is going down the hall from where I'm working tonight, and it's refreshing to actually see Black students on campus. I finally, after two years have two Black professors, and it's great to be able to discuss race and racism with a teacher who understands and isn't scared of the issue.

I don't teach this semester, yeaaaaaaaa!!!! Because of this, I have 6 top-tier articles in-press (for publication). My mission is to make Full Professor in 3 years. Life is good, but I have to prep a new course for Spring 2008. Rutgers (New Brunswick) isn't overcrowded because students are dispersed across several campuses in the region (i.e., Livingston Campus, where my School is located, Cook-Douglas Campus, Busch Campus, and College Avenue Campus).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Yeah, I understand the logistics of why it happens, but 1,500 seems like a lot to me. I know there are a lot of kids who ended up here because they didn't get into UC Santa Barbara or UCLA. Maybe I'm just used to campus being real quiet though.

P.P.S. - The BSA meeting down the hall is also making me sad as I realize that the vast majority of Black students on campus can fit into a single room.

• Options
    Cause ours is. UC Santa Cruz over-enrolled by 1,500 students this year,:hard: and the place is a zoo. They had to kick all 3rd and 4th years off campus and make some dorms into quadruples. But really, the biggest impact is felt in the off-campus rent market, where students and other renters are being price gouged because of a housing shortage. I have friends who live a 20 minute drive from campus. Getting on the bus is a mess too - I feel bad for these 60 year old professors who have to stand, crammed like sardines, because an inconsiderate 18 year old doesn't understand that they should give up their seat. I'm about to start calling them out on it.

I know there are a grip of students/university employees/faculty here. Anyone else having this frustration? Any freshmen asking dumb questions in your class O-Dub? :5pager:

P.S. - The Black Student Union meeting is going down the hall from where I'm working tonight, and it's refreshing to actually see Black students on campus. I finally, after two years have two Black professors , and it's great to be able to discuss race and racism with a teacher who understands and isn't scared of the issue.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Cause ours is. UC Santa Cruz over-enrolled by 1,500 students this year,:hard: and the place is a zoo. They had to kick all 3rd and 4th years off campus and make some dorms into quadruples. But really, the biggest impact is felt in the off-campus rent market, where students and other renters are being price gouged because of a housing shortage. I have friends who live a 20 minute drive from campus. Getting on the bus is a mess too - I feel bad for these 60 year old professors who have to stand, crammed like sardines, because an inconsiderate 18 year old doesn't understand that they should give up their seat. I'm about to start calling them out on it.

I know there are a grip of students/university employees/faculty here. Anyone else having this frustration? Any freshmen asking dumb questions in your class O-Dub? :5pager:

P.S. - The Black Student Union meeting is going down the hall from where I'm working tonight, and it's refreshing to actually see Black students on campus. I finally, after two years have two Black professors , and it's great to be able to discuss race and racism with a teacher who understands and isn't scared of the issue.

• I laughed.

I've been going to cal poly SLO on and off for the last 8 years and it's always been overcrowded. every year they build more student housing but every year they let too many more freshmen in. weak.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Between classes U of AZ is overcrowded with idiots on bikes. Complete fucking idiots. Perhaps you should think about slowing down when you're biking through a crowd of hundreds of people, maybe? No, you're right, just go really fast until you hit someone. Good work.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

I don't teach this semester, yeaaaaaaaa!!!! Because of this, I have 6 top-tier articles in-press (for publication). My mission is to make Full Professor in 3 years.

You go. 6 articles + 3 years = TENURED FULL PROFESSOR AND POSSIBLY WELL ENDOWED CHAIR.

( [color:white]for Asprin: Do you wanna sit down?[/color] )

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

I don't teach this semester, yeaaaaaaaa!!!! Because of this, I have 6 top-tier articles in-press (for publication). My mission is to make Full Professor in 3 years.

You go. 6 articles + 3 years = TENURED FULL PROFESSOR AND POSSIBLY WELL ENDOWED CHAIR.

( [color:white]for Asprin: Do you wanna sit down?[/color] )

Thanks, J. Actually, the dean and I have had this discussion, so he knows the time (me thinks). My goal is to publish 10 articles this academic year. That'll put me around 20 peer-reviewed publications (plus 3 book chapters and a piece in the SIOP newsletter which are not peer-reviewed), about 65% of which would be top-tiers. I like putting the pressure on the employer to do me right. I've been blessed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Damn dude, that's pretty nuts. How the hell do you write 10 articles in a year? I mean, seriously.

• psu is not so bad
    my first class of the day i have about 50 students and the actual campus isnt to crowded
    however in the park outback there is an overcrowding of spare changing hippies who namaste me to death everyday.
    also on the bus downtown every frickin day i have to sit near the dude who blasts
    his butt rock on cheap ass headphones.
    seriously twice he was kicked off for blaring queensryke and Sepultura
    plus dude stinks like dirty clothes cigs.
    no wonder im having a trouble with theory at 8 am
    the only real crowd i face is at stumptown each morning
    damm they are packed daily.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    at ortiz middle school i have to share a classroom with the seventh grade special ed teacher and its a pain. we each have tons of paperwork and there is only one computer. its a constant battle. we are over crowded and understaffed. everybody over here is fighting to tread water. good first year of teaching so far.

Damn dude, that's pretty nuts. How the hell do you write 10 articles in a year? I mean, seriously.

Hey O-Dub,

I work with great collaborators. I'm not lead author on all those joints. Instead, we share the ball (and data), so each of us come with various ideas for papers. We serve as lead author on ideas we develop and include the remaining colleagues as co-authors, each contributing his/her area of expertise. The nice thing is that we end up with a fairly equal distribution of first authored pieces across the collaborators, and we publish exponentially more articles than that cat out there writing all solo joints. Work smart, not hard!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey O-Dub,

I work with great collaborators. I'm not lead author on all those joints. Instead, we share the ball (and data), so each of us come with various ideas for papers. We serve as lead author on ideas we develop and include the remaining colleagues as co-authors, each contributing his/her area of expertise. The nice thing is that we end up with a fairly equal distribution of first authored pieces across the collaborators, and we publish exponentially more articles than that cat out there writing all solo joints. Work smart, not hard!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Still man, maybe it's a difference in your discipline but a lot of my colleagues would be lucky to publish 10 articles in peer-reviewed publications over the course of their entire academic career, let alone in a single year.

Hey O-Dub,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Still man, maybe it's a difference in your discipline but a lot of my colleagues would be lucky to publish 10 articles in peer-reviewed publications over the course of their entire academic career, let alone in a single year.

I'm productive in large part because I have a shitload of data, from various sources, from which to draw. I stockpile data from various companies, national surveys, etc. so that I always have some research to work on. Plus, I'm also collecting data for future projects. You can never have too much data. Don't get me wrong, O-Dub, ten peer reviewed articles is a far reach. Yet, even if I come up short, it's still an amazing year. I like to set the bar high to push myself. Plus, I have a tenure vote (again) this December that I want to be a 2-minute formality (which all my senior colleagues are saying it will be). Heck, I'm 60% of the way to my goal. I just hope Rutgers comes correct with my merit loot.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak