holiday movie traditions

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
herm's softbatch thread reminded me of holiday movie rituals. what do you watch?my mom makes us watch planes trains and automobiles every thanksgiving. she always cracks up when steve martin is cussing out principle ed rooney's secretary halloween - evil dead 2, halloweenchristmas - a xmas story, the reftet - the deerhunter (just kidding)

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    a christmas klassik!!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Too easy!

With Mavis Staples awesome opening and ending song is so sweet.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Trading Places
    Wizard Of Oz
    When Harry Met Sally (New years eve)

It's A Wonderful Life did not become a tradition until the late 80s. I had never heard of it back around '80. It was at a local art theater. I cried like a baby.

• king most hood classic

I love this movie, it sort of bums me out because I believe is one of the few movies my brother and I both enjoyed and whenever it was that time a year we would act out and recite various scenes and lines from the movie. Damn, so much of that movie reminds me of him. *sniff*

One of our favorite scenes was when Ralphie blames his buddy for teaching him how to curse and then the kids mother decided to beat the crap out of him while she talks to Ralphie's mom over the phone.

We thought it was so funny we recorded it on a little boombox to use it as a prank. My mom was talking to my aunt and during the coversation we picked up a different line in the house and played the recording causing my aunt to believe that it was a recording of my mom beating us. Ha....damn, that was a great prank. I obviously still remember it.

• B-B-BUMP!!!

I'm 'bout to watch Emmitt Otter's Jugband Christmas and Love Actually while I get my wrappity wrap on.

Then I have to choose from the following four bootlegs:

- Che
    - Religulous
    - 7 Pounds
    - Milk

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Emmitt Otter's Jugband Christmas

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    Emmitt Otter's Jugband Christmas

best xmas movie evar.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    We just watched this, we started a tradition last year of watching it on Christmas Eve

This year it finally came out on dvd so I retired the vhs tape.

It may be an old movie, but this was way ahead of it's time. Mitchum is really at his Mitchum-est, and Wendell Corey is great as the would-be fiance to single mother/widow Janet Leigh. Highly recommended if you have tired of the usual holiday fare. Easily my favorite Christmas movie of all time.

Oh, and New Year's Eve is reserved for

and

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    We just watched this, we started a tradition last year of watching it on Christmas Eve

This year it finally came out on dvd so I retired the vhs tape.

It may be an old movie, but this was way ahead of it's time. Mitchum is really at his Mitchum-est, and Wendell Corey is great as the would-be fiance to single mother/widow Janet Leigh. Highly recommended if you have tired of the usual holiday fare. Easily my favorite Christmas movie of all time.

I just watched this first time, last week on TCM. What a film!
    Very mature for it's time, as far as the themes and subjects involved.
    That poster actually frustrates me, makes it look like a cheesecake
    screwball comedy, which it is not by any stretch of the imagination.
    What strikes me most about this film is Janet Leigh - she gives an
    astounding performance. In fact, it is the second earlier film of
    hers I've seen recently where she steals the movie with her talent.
    Wish I could remember the other film ... anyway, yes, BIG cosine on this!