Anybody heard the new Aceyalone?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
As of today, this is news to me...
Aceyalone is geariing up for the release of a Dancehall inspired album produced by Bionik. Lightning Strikes will come out October 2nd.

Comments

• The words "new Aceyalone" don't excite. Maybe 10 years ago.

• Maybe 10 years ago.

indeed.

and it would have been about exactly 10 years ago that a "dancehall inspired" anything would have been fresh and worth checking for.

2007 dancehall bandwagoneering? pretty sad.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Maybe 10 years ago.

indeed.

and it would have been about exactly 10 years ago that a "dancehall inspired" anything would have been fresh and worth checking for.

2007 dancehall bandwagoneering? pretty sad.

Had he done this at the peak of Sean Paul's crossover success...yes, bandwagoneering.

But in '07???

• IF HE DOES NOT FEATURE JAMALSKI HE IS SELLING OUT THE WEST COAST UNDERGROUND.

As big a fan of Ace-1 as I've been over the years, it even trips me out to see a review written from such a new dude perspective...

http://prod1.cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=44547328

ACEYALONE: Lightning Strikes
    By Kevin Kampwirth
    Thanks to the likes of Shaggy and Sean Paul, dancehall, in recent years, has been packaged and pushed on the masses via commercial radio. As its moniker suggests, it is music that's easy to move to, which accounts for its resurgence. But really, what the majority of popular music listeners know as dancehall right now is nothing more than Top 40 garbage???the Black Eyed Peas with a Jamaican singer and prominent bass lines. Fortunately, Aceyalone is much too smart, much too talented and much too respectful to create anything less than a cogent, well-executed record, regardless of genre. The inimitable emcee's new dancehall record, therefore, succeeds on pretty much every level. At once deferential and swelling with ingenuity, Acey cloaks his adroit, penetrative words around handclaps, synth blips and every conceivable tone a drum machine can turn out. Though not likely to be counted among the finest moments of his legacy???though, in fairness, it'd be hard to top the hip-hop trifecta of Accepted Eclectic, Love And Hate and Magnificent City[/b]???at the very least, Acey's shown us what modern-day dancehall has the potential to sound like.

IF HE DOES NOT FEATURE JAMALSKI COCKNI O' DIRE [/b]HE IS SELLING OUT THE WEST COAST UNDERGROUND.

• IF HE DOES NOT FEATURE JAMALSKI COCKNI O' DIRE [/b]HE IS SELLING OUT THE WEST COAST UNDERGROUND.

DID COCKNI REALLY ROCK DANCEHALL THOUGH? I THOUGHT HE WAS MORE LIKE ONE OF THOSE LA JA-FAIKIN DUDES THAT WERE ON NWA RECORDS. I AM TALKING ABOUT JAMAL "PEACE ROOTS" SKI WITH HIS PURPLE BANDANNA AND HIS BEADS. BOOF BAFF AND SHIT.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Aceyalone is geariing up for the release of a Dancehall inspired album produced by Bionik.

Soon to be featured in XLR8R "boom tunes" capsule review!

IF HE DOES NOT FEATURE JAMALSKI COCKNI O' DIRE [/b]HE IS SELLING OUT THE WEST COAST UNDERGROUND.

DID COCKNI REALLY ROCK DANCEHALL THOUGH? I THOUGHT HE WAS MORE LIKE ONE OF THOSE LA JA-FAIKIN DUDES THAT WERE ON NWA RECORDS. I AM TALKING ABOUT JAMAL "PEACE ROOTS" SKI WITH HIS PURPLE BANDANNA AND HIS BEADS. BOOF BAFF AND SHIT.

Cockni was on Fellowships's 2nd album...and yeah, I used to hear him spin Mad Lion all the time back in '94.

http://www.spectremusic.com/reviews.php

Revered southland emcee Aceyalone is set to release his latest high concept LP, Lightning Strikes, on New York label Decon. His newest collection, consisting of 15 dancehall-inspired tracks, is a distinctively offbeat blend of hip-hop and dancehall.

A founding member of the pioneering rap group Freestyle Fellowship, Aceyalone has always been at the forefront of the west coast indie hip-hop movement. The founder of the label Project Blowed, Aceyalone is one of LA???s most respected, prolific hip-hop artists. The dancehall and sound selector scene of the islands is what led to the birth of hip-hop, so it???s only natural for Acey to be drawn to this style of music.

Working with LA producer Bionik, who???s known for crafting dub, dancehall, and reggae inspired tracks, Aceyalone went into the lab and began work on what will be the first in a series of albums inspired by other genres of music[/b]. The result is a new sound that blends Acey???s vocals with the up-tempo vibes of dancehall and the laid back riddims of reggae.

The single, ???Easy??? which features Chali 2na of Jurassic 5, is a rapid fire head-knodder, sure to get bodies moving on the dance floors, while other tracks like ???Jungle Muzik??? and ???To The Top??? are all around solid tunes for any occasion.

The first single/video...

• IF THIS IS GONNA SOUND LIKE THAT REALLY BAD HAIKU DE TAT KAYA SONG THEN I WANT NO PART OF IT.

• IF HE DOES NOT FEATURE JAMALSKI COCKNI O' DIRE [/b]HE IS SELLING OUT THE WEST COAST UNDERGROUND.

aaron's records casualty.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    IF THIS IS GONNA SOUND LIKE THAT REALLY BAD HAIKU DE TAT KAYA SONG THEN I WANT NO PART OF IT.

!!!

But that song is so friendly on so many levels!

• As big a fan of Ace-1 as I've been over the years, it even trips me out to see a review written from such a new dude perspective...

http://prod1.cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=44547328

ACEYALONE: Lightning Strikes
    By Kevin Kampwirth
    Thanks to the likes of Shaggy and Sean Paul, dancehall, in recent years, has been packaged and pushed on the masses via commercial radio. As its moniker suggests, it is music that's easy to move to, which accounts for its resurgence. But really, what the majority of popular music listeners know as dancehall right now is nothing more than Top 40 garbage???the Black Eyed Peas with a Jamaican singer and prominent bass lines. Fortunately, Aceyalone is much too smart, much too talented and much too respectful to create anything less than a cogent, well-executed record, regardless of genre. The inimitable emcee's new dancehall record, therefore, succeeds on pretty much every level. At once deferential and swelling with ingenuity, Acey cloaks his adroit, penetrative words around handclaps, synth blips and every conceivable tone a drum machine can turn out. Though not likely to be counted among the finest moments of his legacy???though, in fairness, it'd be hard to top the hip-hop trifecta of Accepted Eclectic, Love And Hate and Magnificent City[/b]???at the very least, Acey's shown us what modern-day dancehall has the potential to sound like.

pretty pathetic journalism. those are easily the bottom three of his albums.

IF THIS IS GONNA SOUND LIKE THAT REALLY BAD HAIKU DE TAT KAYA SONG THEN I WANT NO PART OF IT.

!!!

But that song is so friendly on so many levels!

I've always liked that song...and recently realized that it samples Olivia Newton John from the Xanadu soundtrack.

• Acey's shown us what modern-day dancehall has the potential to sound like.

Lord a'mercy!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The first single/video...

MORE AIRHRON PLAESE!

Acey's back, my life is now complete again.

• Acey's shown us what modern-day dancehall has the potential to devolve into[/b] .

• Most "hip-hop/dancehall" fusion attempts remind me of a Chinese proverb about leaving a teabag in hot water for a few seconds. The result? Not water, nor is it tea.

Aceyalone > Acey-I-Lone

Acey's shown us what modern-day dancehall has the potential to devolve into[/b] .

Have you even bothered to watch the video? It's not Vybz Kartel by any stretch of the imagination, but IMO it ain't bad at all for what it is.

And you acting all indignantly bent out of shape because a rapper has decided to incorporate a dancehall vibe into his usual repertoire, something that has been a recurring theme of hip-hop since it began, is really misplaced.

• I predict an abundance of cringe-worthy phony patois on this album.

• And you acting all indignantly bent out of shape because a rapper has decided to incorporate a dancehall vibe into his usual repertoire, something that has been done to death lately -- and almost universally poorly --[/b] , is totally legitimate[/b] .

I predict an abundance of cringe-worthy phony patois on this album.

And you acting all indignantly bent out of shape because a rapper has decided to incorporate a dancehall vibe into his usual repertoire, something that has been done to death lately -- and almost universally poorly --[/b] , is totally legitimate[/b] .

Who has done it to death lately?

• I predict an abundance of cringe-worthy phony patois on this album.

• And you acting all indignantly bent out of shape because a rapper has decided to incorporate a dancehall vibe into his usual repertoire, something that has been done to death lately -- and almost universally poorly --[/b] , is totally legitimate[/b] .

you're seriously suggesting that Acey has come up with a "fresh, new" concept here aren't you?

And you acting all indignantly bent out of shape because a rapper has decided to incorporate a dancehall vibe into his usual repertoire, something that has been done to death lately -- and almost universally poorly --[/b] , is totally legitimate[/b] .

you're seriously suggesting that Acey has come up with a "fresh, new" concept here aren't you?

Just answer the question that you prompted...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Just answer the question that you prompted...

yeah dammit answer the question.

Tell me who has made a fool of themselves playing the Jamaican dancehall card in the last 2 years?

It's now fresh and exciting. I think Acey's dancehall album has the ability to do twice as well as Hammers Gangster rap album.