Tablet PCs Recs...

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Do folks have any experience with the tablet PC and therefore have educated recommendations? I'm using in a student/clinical capacity and would require all the standard features of a Laptop + a built in keyboard as well, unless y'all have some other sort of idea. Thanks in advance!~gNAT

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Would you be hooking this up to a projector at all?

As a tech on a University campus. I've had problems with tablets in the past. But I'm guessing newer ones have probably dealt with some of these issues.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    DOR, your icon is pure class.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    DOR, your icon is pure class.

hilarious

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I'd want the option of projecting if possible, but for the time being, it's not a priority.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm sure it's not much of a problem now. I use to have issues with the tablet not having enough power to push out a dual display. And I'd have to hook up a damn booster for the prof.

How much do you wanna spend?

I messed around with one of these the other day and liked it. They are kinda high priced. But 9 hours of battery life is kewl. Nice weight to it also.

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T2010

Here is some more info.
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/fujitsu-ships-lifebook-t2010-lighter-than-ever-289187.php

Also, Dell is coming out with one that looks pretty good. Probably cheaper also.

Dell Latitude XT Tablet

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Depending on your application they may be useful. Our agency bought them, got rid of them within the year. They are very tedious at first.

I know doctors use them in their clinics and they seem to be 50/50 on them.

We had this one made by Motion:

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    my roommate is in the process of buying a laptop...wanted one that was really light and small and portable....and we stumbled upon this one.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/contr...967E79E0E7C9A2D

it all depends on how you want to use it....i dont really feel like the tablet aspect is all that necessary, so im a bad person to ask.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Depending on your application they may be useful. Our agency bought them, got rid of them within the year. They are very tedious at first.

I know doctors use them in their clinics and they seem to be 50/50 on them.

We had this one made by Motion:

We use the same one at my company.

More useful than a standard laptop for our estimator but besides it's touch-screen abilities it's a subpar laptop. If we did it again I would spring for one of those hybrid laptop/tablet units with the swivel hinge. Best of both worlds.

You wouldn't happen to have any left would you? We should get a backup for our company.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    BTW, if you're really game there's always the Panasonic Toughbooks.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    BTW, if you're really game there's always the Panasonic Toughbooks.

Those are badass, the popo in my city uses them, made like a shitbrickhouse.

I think we were going to auction off some of our Motion computers on our local government website?!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

They can be rotated 90 degrees any direction, horizontal or vertical to display the screen.

The writing feature will eventually learn your handwriting. It takes time. I used the wireless keyboard though.

Their was also a voice activated writing feature, but took way too much time to learn and work with.

Nice try by Motion. Maybe next time.